S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA light and Brake light on

Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VSA light and Brake light on

So recently my VSA light and E-brake light have been lighting up and not turning off. I took the car to the track a couple weeks ago and it was fine for the first 2 sessions. However, I got the VSA/brake light issue later in the day...the only things I can think of that could have affected it are:

1) I bled/flushed the brake fluid
2) I swapped in my race pads
3) I hit a big pot hole on the track @ about 90mph
4) I spun out once

Here are the exact symptoms:

*I'll turn on my car on the e-brake light is already on
*About 2 seconds later, the VSA (!) light will turn on (which means the VSA is disengaged)
*They will remain on for the duration of the time the car is on.

I was thinking that maybe the rear brake calipers were in contact with the rotors...but I don't feel any drag. I have a feeling that the problems are linked to each other somehow...i think the VSA is not turning on because the car senses the e-brake still on.

Not sure...I will probably be taking it in next weekend to see if i can get it diagnosed/fixed under warranty.

...but until then, anyone have any ideas/previous experiences?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exact experience before. I spun out @ 80mph and then i had those lights on. I did reset my ecu and it eventually went away in few hours. Also you might be running low brake fluid.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by kiwookster,Jun 27 2008, 06:13 PM
I had exact experience before. I spun out @ 80mph and then i had those lights on. I did reset my ecu and it eventually went away in few hours. Also you might be running low brake fluid.
this has happened to me in the past before...i would reset my ECU and it would be fine. this is the first time it's stayed on for a prolonged period of time tho. i checked my brake fluid and it's at a decent level.....would the brake light come on if there is alot of air in the lines?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM

anyone else?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM

usually reset ecu/disconect battery cable can some what = clear the cel code. But for a serious issue, the warning light will come back on. Since you have mentioned about your track incident. I would not drive the car until the dealer checked it out. You have alot of modification to the car, thus the dealer might give u a hard time. I would not mention about the track run if I were you. My warranty just recently expires, I have 12,500 miles. Now it will be heavily mod
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen to me too. I didn't realize that having a spin causes the ABS to turn off (seems counter intuitive to me). In any case this was NOT the case in my AP1.

Shortly after the spin, I was pushing hard looking for time before the Time Attack session. I was relying on the ABS for that particular corner. I broke really late, no ABS, flat spots on expensive tires me=

Anybody know why the car is doing this, how to ge around it?

-Dino
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM

both my VSA and steering wheel light were on when i took my intake off and didnt reconnect the sensor back to the intake...i was like WTF! once i plugged it back in it went away...then again i also had a CEL because of it...but after 15 min. it also went away...this prolly wont help you but thats how it happend to me without all those other things you did...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, and i thought i was the only one that this happened to. well, if your vsa light is on the one that says vas and the (!) and also your brake light is on, then listen, if not ignore this.

what happened to me was just dd and hard braking. well happened was that for some reason my front calipers were stuck on the rotors. not really enough to tell, but it was there. so i took it to the dealer and again, they told me the same thing. well, i was still under warranty so they gave me new pads at 15,000 miles.

so hypothesis is that your pads are stuck. just replace the brake pads. or take them off and put them back on.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Sorry to flame this thread but I just had a similar problem. After replacing the brake fluid for my 30k service the VSA/brake light came on. I figured I did something wrong when bleeding the lines or didn't fill it to the correct level, even though the pedal feel was fine. I went on a long business trip so the car was left with the battery cable disconnected. When I got back, same thing VSA and brake light on. I went to my mechanic and after pulling some codes and testing different things they found my float sensor was stuck at the bottom causing the car to think there was no brake fluid in the reservoir. They plucked it free and everything seemed fine.

As soon as I took the first turn out of the parking lot the lights came back on. I went back the next day and they checked the float again. It seemed like float wasn't really floating that well. I'm still not sure if there is an easy fix for this as Honda does not sell just the reservoir, you have to buy the entire master cylinder. They also made sure everything else was working fine and re-calibrated the steering angle sensor. We put a piece of wire to keep the float up as a temporary fix/troubleshoot and the light has not come back on. I'll post again when I get it fixed permanently.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's definitely a brake fluid related issue. I had low brake fluid after a track day and kept triggering both the brake and VSA light when braking downhill. I filled up the brake fluid, and the lights never came back.

Quick Reply: VSA light and Brake light on