S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vtec solenoid

Old 07-01-2002, 04:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec solenoid

when i bought my car i found that the previous owner disconnected the wire running
to the vtec solenoid. i ran it like that for awhile(no problems at all). i reconnected it one day to see if there was a difference in perfomance. no difference at all so i left it connected. can anyone tell me why someone would do this, and what exactly does the vtec solenoid do?
Old 07-01-2002, 05:24 AM

I don't think anyone in their right mind would disconnect the VTEC solenoid. What you have basically done (in laymen's terms) is completely disabled VTEC from working on your automobile. The reason you probably did not feel any difference when you reconnected the system was that the ECU has went into a \"safe-loop\" mode because it does not recognize VTEC any longer - because it has never been present. I would question if there is any engine damage, since VTEC is a system based on oil pressure. I would reconnect the system and reset the ECU to let the ECU re-learn that VTEC is now connected. Hopefully you will not have any prolonged effects from running w/ the VTEC solenoid disabled. Best of luck.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you taken the engine above 6000 RPMs? VTEC will not do anything below 6K. If the solenoid was disconnected, then your power band would have probably dropped off pretty quickly at high RPMs. If VTEC is working properly, at 6K the engine sound will get louder and you'll instantly have a significant increase in power. The power will continue to climb as you aproach 8500 RPMs.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, maybe it would be a good idea to disconnect the VTEC solenoid when taking the car in for service so no one can beat it?
Old 07-01-2002, 03:47 PM

disconnect the solenoid won't damage your car. it just won't pick up above 6k. it will simply behave like any other car without variable valve timing and lift electronic control. no need to be concern. reset the ECU and see if she still growls over 6k
Old 07-02-2002, 05:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Destiny2002
Hey guys, maybe it would be a good idea to disconnect the VTEC solenoid when taking the car in for service so no one can beat it?
I would be concerned that a Honda Tech would try to VTEC it, and when it didn't work, would start trying to "fix" it.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That could be resolved with a cable label that says "sorry, no VTEC for you!"

I'm thinking of when I take my car in for state inspection. There is no requirement that the car VTEC to pass.

Dealers are required to call you before doing any work, even if it's troubleshooting a problem.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
[B]That could be resolved with a cable label that says "sorry, no VTEC for you!"

I'm thinking of when I take my car in for state inspection.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Banned

vtec is definitely hitting at 6k both connected and disconnected, it would be pretty obvious if it wasn't. just to do a test on the performance i ran it at the track with the wire disconnected and connected and ran 14.6 each time. I talked with the dealership today and the mechanic said the only reason he could possibly think of someone disconnecting that wire is that maybe it would give the ecu a false oil pressure reading enabling vtec to hit harder. I dont know how true that is since it does the same thing either way.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:29 PM

strange that you say that VTEC would engage.

DTC P1259 would as soon as your are above 6000 rpm with the VTEC solenoid disconnected. either you disconnected something else or your car's ECM likes to lie to you.

Quick Reply: vtec solenoid