S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird vibration/noise at 4000-4500rm

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vibration/noise at 4000-4500rm

Can anyone help me identify this noise? It happens mostly between 4000 and 4500 rpm. I can feel a vibration in the shift knob in conjunction with the noise, but I'm pretty sure it's not the transmission, since the noise also happens when I have the clutch pressed and I'm just revving it. The speed or the gear don't matter, and it even happens standing still, it's just harder to notice.

It seems to be the most obvious when the revs are on their way down with the throttle mostly closed, but it can be heard under different conditions as well. There's also a similar situation around 3000 rpm, but it's much fainter. It's been happening for about 2 months now, and it seems to be getting worse. Maybe that's the resonance frequency of something loose somewhere? The only similar situation I've had was in my ancient Integra years ago that had a busted cat. The insides were all loose and they would vibrate at certain rpms. But this one seems to be pretty solid, so I don't think that's what it is in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXe_W_ghrZE
Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 AM

any updates? i had similar noise. it was my dif mounts.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Have you replaced any lines? AC lines etc? If not lines, any other parts? can you identify if the noise is coming from front or rear?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by S2_4SHOOR
Have you replaced any lines? AC lines etc? If not lines, any other parts? can you identify if the noise is coming from front or rear?
I haven't replaced any lines at all. The only part I've replaced recently was the timing chain tensioner, and the noise didn't coincide with that. I've gone out to listen to the noise some more since my first post and I realised that it does actually depend on whether I have the clutch pressed or not. For example, while sitting still at a light, if I rev it while in neutral it'll make the noise, but if I press the clutch (while still in neutral) it won't make the noise. So it seems like the problem is probably somewhere in the transmission or the clutch. I don't think it's the differential because it makes the noise even when the car isn't moving, so that's probably not it.

The noise seems like it's coming from the radio area, so that would be in line with a transmission/clutch issue. Until now, I thought it was some resonance issue, but seeing that the clutch makes a difference makes me think it might be the transmission. I changed the transmission fluid several months ago and I'm not sure if that might have something to do with it. I've changed it previously with no issues. I always use Honda MTF. The noise is also briefly apparent at around 3000 rpm, but much harder to notice.

Could this possibly be the famous clutch buzz? I haven't actually heard an example of what that's supposed to sound like, I've just seen the descriptions of it. However, I was under the impression that AP2s are not likely to be affected by clutch buzz (I have an AP2).
Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM

ohh wow so i have this exact same noise..... so i pulled the transmission about a week ago and replaced my clutch disk pp and flywheel along with a new relese fork and bearing reinstalled everything and well my clutch buzz(ap1) is gone the vide/grinding noise was still present....so i was sure it was a gearbox issue and bought a biddies used ap1 trans and apon install removed the tailshaft housing to inspect all three bearings for pitting and all looked good.....so just today i got done with the install and ill be dammed if the noise is still there.....so im back to the drawing board....i would really love if someone would shed some light on this noise/problem....the noise is only loud apon decel with the clutch ingauged and once the clutch is disingaged it stops
Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Anyone?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:27 AM

ttt
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM

any update haha i got some noise from same spot lol
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to hear really, but it sounded like the noise occured upon deceleration or taking your foot off the gas??
Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Hard to hear really, but it sounded like the noise occured upon deceleration or taking your foot off the gas??

Yes, exactly. It happens when taking my foot off the gas and always in the same rev range (4000-4500).

Since I changed my transmission fluid a few months ago (roughly when the noise started), I decided to check up on it. I thought maybe I didn't fill it properly and that caused the noise, but when I checked it the level was fine, so that's not it.

I thought it was transmission or clutch problem, but ryanwill2k changed both and still has the noise, so that's probably not it. So I'm not sure where to go next with this problem. I think I might just live with it for now and see if it gets worse.

Quick Reply: Weird vibration/noise at 4000-4500rm