S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What kind of oil for my AP1?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of oil for my AP1?

My 2001 AP1 is due for an oil change. As I have moved from Oklahoma to Durango Colorado since my last oil change, I called my nearest Honda dealer (about an hour away )and inquired. There I was told to use synthetic oil. The dealer I used to use in Oklahoma said no way on synthetic. BTW, the car has only 35K miles and has always had "dino oil" in the crankcase. So I ask here, "dino oil" or synthetic?

Also, the viscosity has me concerned Here in Durango our summer high temperatures top out in the mid to high 80s and winter lows can go slightly below 0, but then the S2K is almost always garaged where the temperature doesn't go below 50. I have used 10W30 in Oklahoma. What viscosity should I put in now?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

You may find this sticky (pinned) thread from the Under the Hood subforum helpful. Happy reading!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/358...-oil-journals/
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the reference. Looks like 10W30 for me. Now, when I looked at the replies a few minutes ago, there was a third reply advocating synthetic --but now that reply is gone (?). So let me ask again. Synthetic or "dino oil"?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dolebludger
Now, when I looked at the replies a few minutes ago, there was a third reply advocating synthetic --but now that reply is gone (?).
People can delete their own posts. Maybe the person who replied changed his mind? I don't know, but it does not look like anything was deleted by any moderators or admins from this thread.

I have an AP2 so what I run doesn't really matter for your situation. You should of course doublecheck this in your owner's manual, but I seem to recall the manual (least mine anyway) says you can use conventional or synthetic at your own discretion.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use castrol edge synthetic
mobil 1 has been rumored to burn in an ap1
Old 10-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

um, 2029 posts and you haven't seen all the oil debates here over the past how many years?

i'm not helping your cause, so, to stay on target and to add fuel to the fire...again...amsoil signature synthetic 10w30.

darcy
Old 10-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
um, 2029 posts and you haven't seen all the oil debates here over the past how many years?

i'm not helping your cause, so, to stay on target and to add fuel to the fire...again...amsoil signature synthetic 10w30.

darcy
X2. Prolly the most common question asked. People just don't care to search
Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
i use castrol edge synthetic
mobil 1 has been rumored to burn in an ap1
I've actually heard that's a common problem with Mobil 1 in Honda engines (I've heard this happen to high-revving B and K series engines as well). No idea why Mobil 1 seems more prone to it than other oil brands.

Personally, I use synthetic Valvoline VR1 10w30 oil. It's supposed to have a higher zinc content in it which I think helps particularly with preserving the valvetrain and cams (citation needed lol). Actually, if anyone else is reading this and has some input on this I'd appreciate learning more.

Either way, I definitely would stick to using only synthetic on the S2000. Would definitely help prolong the life of the engine. Royal Purple, Valvoline VR1, Amsoil, Redline, etc...

Also, for a colder climate you may want to look into running 5w30 in the winter. I'm not sure off hand, but I seem to recall a few threads on these forums discussing the use of 5w30 in the F2*C.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Hey, guys, I haven't been on his board for a long time, regardless of all my posts earlier in the 2001 to the mid 2000s period. And no, I don't know how to search very well. If it doesn't have a gas engine or have vacuum tubes in it, I probably don't know how to use it. Computers come under the heading of things I don't know how to use very well. And this board has changed more than a little since I was a frequent poster. But I do know how to design and build a CAI, and you can search and read about that if you wish. So I'm sorry I come off as dumb, because in matters of the current board deign and how to search it, I am dumb. I have retired to a little Colorado mountain town where there are maybe three S 2000s among the year round residents. Believe me, I have a legit question here, and am sorry that, if asking it, I have offended anybody. And for those who answered my question, I thank you and will follow your advice. And if anybody has further advice, post it right here.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My answer to your question would be it depends on how often you want to change your oil? Use dino and it's approximately 3 months or 3,000 miles. Use synthetic and it can be anywhere up to 12,000 miles and a year depending on how much you drive. Both dino and synthetic do the job of lubricating and cooling. However, synthetic lasts longer.

Quick Reply: What kind of oil for my AP1?