S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where is the side jack-up points (not the stand points) for the floor jack?

Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where is the side jack-up points (not the stand points) for the floor jack?

Hello guys,

Forgive me if I am asking questions too frequently (I am just an innocent new owner who wanna spend more time on the car).

I have read most of the posts on the s2ki about jacking points. I know exactly where the side safety stand points are (2nd tab right below the emblem). However, where is the jack-up points (not the jack stand points) on the left and right? On the service manual, only the front/rear jack-up points and side frame hoist/stand points are mentioned. I prefer not to jacking it up on the frame rail.. and of course not on the official 2nd tab side jack stand points because I am going to place the jack stand right there..

By the way, to confirm with those who own 1.5 ton HF compact aluminum floor jack, this jack's maximum lift height is not enough for us to put some common jack stands below (I bought mine from advance auto parts, which are the autocraft 3-ton ones..), no matter we are jacking it up from front or side.

Thanks~
Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Correct, the front/rear and 4 jack stand points were the only spots Honda wants you to jack up the car. Are there other places you can jack it up from? sure, plenty of guys jack up the car on various parts of the subframe or other places, but it's up to you whether you want to do that or not. I always jack up my car from the front or back and put jack stands on the sides. If your jack won't go high enough, but a different one. i know HF sells multiple sizes...
Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

The manual spells out the jack points (tire change for flat) but the one(s) on the front can be mistaken.

I find the easiest way to jack up the car is the center jack point in front of the engine and the rear is the diff. In general you don't want to be working under the (any car) S with ONLY the jack supporting the car. That is what the jack stands are for. I might add the extra precaution of letting someone know you are under the car (safety in case you are trapped) and of course don't do it on an incline; it should be level. Shake the car to ensure good jack stand security.

I use the Costco (similar to many including HF) jack but I do drive the front wheels up on 2X4s or 2X6s to lift up the front lip enought to get the jack under the nose.

If you get a Fumoto valve for the engine drain, you will never have to jack or get under the car for an oil change. Slide the catch pan underneath and do it all from the open hood.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrenceh
Hello guys,

Forgive me if I am asking questions too frequently (I am just an innocent new owner who wanna spend more time on the car).

I have read most of the posts on the s2ki about jacking points. I know exactly where the side safety stand points are (2nd tab right below the emblem). However, where is the jack-up points (not the jack stand points) on the left and right? On the service manual, only the front/rear jack-up points and side frame hoist/stand points are mentioned. I prefer not to jacking it up on the frame rail.. and of course not on the official 2nd tab side jack stand points because I am going to place the jack stand right there..

By the way, to confirm with those who own 1.5 ton HF compact aluminum floor jack, this jack's maximum lift height is not enough for us to put some common jack stands below (I bought mine from advance auto parts, which are the autocraft 3-ton ones..), no matter we are jacking it up from front or side.

Thanks~
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...dle-frame-rail

I had the same question as you a few years back. Check out my thread and let me know if you have any questions. I've been doing this since two years ago with zero issues.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
Originally Posted by Lawrenceh' timestamp='1473709732' post='24060495
Hello guys,

Thanks~

I had the same question as you a few years back. Check out my thread and let me know if you have any questions. I've been doing this since two years ago with zero issues.
Thanks bro. If I get it correct, you are jacking it up on the middle of the frame rails, left and right, right?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Correct, the front/rear and 4 jack stand points were the only spots Honda wants you to jack up the car. Are there other places you can jack it up from? sure, plenty of guys jack up the car on various parts of the subframe or other places, but it's up to you whether you want to do that or not. I always jack up my car from the front or back and put jack stands on the sides. If your jack won't go high enough, but a different one. i know HF sells multiple sizes...
Thanks. I am going to buy a 2-ton HF steel jack, which is low-profile and long-reach! I am quite sure now that it would perfectly work
Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The manual spells out the jack points (tire change for flat) but the one(s) on the front can be mistaken.

I find the easiest way to jack up the car is the center jack point in front of the engine and the rear is the diff. In general you don't want to be working under the (any car) S with ONLY the jack supporting the car. That is what the jack stands are for. I might add the extra precaution of letting someone know you are under the car (safety in case you are trapped) and of course don't do it on an incline; it should be level. Shake the car to ensure good jack stand security.

I use the Costco (similar to many including HF) jack but I do drive the front wheels up on 2X4s or 2X6s to lift up the front lip enought to get the jack under the nose.

If you get a Fumoto valve for the engine drain, you will never have to jack or get under the car for an oil change. Slide the catch pan underneath and do it all from the open hood.
Many thanks for the reply. Will do the front center lifting with the help of Rhino Ramps and rely on the jack stand points in the manual!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

If you have not purchased the Rhino Ramps, save your money. All you need is some scrap wood. Both metal and plastic ramps have been known to fail plus they are something else to store someplace.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrenceh
Originally Posted by steven88' timestamp='1473716860' post='24060583
[quote name='Lawrenceh' timestamp='1473709732' post='24060495']
Hello guys,

Thanks~

Thanks bro. If I get it correct, you are jacking it up on the middle of the frame rails, left and right, right?
[/quote]

I am jacking it up right below where the side mirrors were. I originally wanted to jack up right in the middle, but someone suggested I try it slightly towards the front, basically right where the side mirrors are.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

If I jack up the car from the side I just put the jack stands on the front control arms and the rear side jacking point. Then I take the factory scissor jack to unload the jack and put an extra set of stands on the jacking point on the frame rail. Tetrastands are cool, but the really safe and cool kids use hexastands.

Quick Reply: Where is the side jack-up points (not the stand points) for the floor jack?