S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wrong 5w20 oil and weird noises

Old 06-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong 5w20 oil and weird noises

So after an exhaustive search I finally found my S2k at a dealership in Virginia (I am in Rochester, NY) and brought it home. It was a 2008 with 28k miles.

About a week after I got the car home I changed the differential and transmission oils, since I had no record of when they were last changed. I did not change the oil, since it had just been changed by the dealer.

Yesterday the oil light came on saying 15% life left, change soon. So I emailed the dealership I bought it from, and they confirmed that they had changed the oil, but did not know how to reset the light. So its only had about 1500 miles since the change. However, while I was looking at the sticker and researching the oil, I noticed that the sticker listed 5w20 oil, while the specified oil is 10w30. The specified oil is conventional (car first came out in 2000, was specced then) and what they used was a synthetic blend.

Idiots. 30 seconds on google would give them the oil spec and the reset procedure.

So, should I do an oil change right now to be safe, or is it no big deal and I can change it in a couple k? I know oil is a lot better nowadays, combined with being synthetic blend, but it is definitely a bit thinner then the spec oil. I read that the S2000 originally specced thicker oil because the older conventional oils sheer down to 20 weight at 8-9k rpm, whereas newer synthetic shouldn't do that as much, so maybe I am worrying about nothing? I hear a lot about people running 5w30, 0w40, and various others in their s2000s, but nobody really brings up 5w20. It doesn't get super hot up here (highs in the 60s-80s) but I do autocross regularly.

Second question - I am hearing an odd ringing noise when accelerating from slow speed. You can hear it best in this video, and a little bit in the second video as well, right after the start.

It sounds like a ringing bell, or maybe a tea kettle boiling. Its a consistent pitch (doesn't change with speed) and only happens below about 30mph, and only when accelerating medium to full. Its intermittent, not consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3X2Q7o5M4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFFLSDEP_Y My gut is that it is the locking part of the torsen rear differential making the noise, as that would not change pitch with speed like a bad ring gear or transmission, and the noise shows up when the diff would be working to prevent tire spin. I have always heard that Torsen diffs make noise, but I have yet to find someone explaining what the noise is, or any recordings. Is this a normal noise from a locking diff, or do I have an impending failure coming somewhere? FYI it was making the same noise before and after I changed the fluid.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil changes are quick and cheap so just to have the peace of mind, I would just change it out. It really doesn't matter that they put in synthetic blend, conventional or full synthetic since people run any of those.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 AM

IMO....0W20 oil is best suited for some newer cars.It's used to get a little better MPG.I run Amsoil 0W20 in my '13 EXV.

For my GST,S2K & Z06,I use Amsoil 0W30.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it out ASAP to a 10w30 spec oil of your choice
Old 06-19-2014, 06:58 AM

ok thanks guys. What about the second question, the ringing noise?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't hear the ringing noise in those videos. Possibly my crappy headphones. Do you have an aftermarket intake by chance?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9
I couldn't hear the ringing noise in those videos. Possibly my crappy headphones. Do you have an aftermarket intake by chance?

100% stock. You only hear it at the very beginning of the run, right after the launch. High pitch ringing, kind of like a tea kettle or a bell. Consistent pitch, inconsistent volume. Happens any time I accelerate medium to hard from very slow speeds. Try the very beginning of each video, and then again about 1:10 in for a second launch, hear it every time.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

S2000s make all kinds of crazy noises. If you are one of those who is always listening, then you will need to adjust with this car.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
S2000s make all kinds of crazy noises. If you are one of those who is always listening, then you will need to adjust with this car.
Very true. I was quite worried with all the whirls and whines and noises when I first got my S. 199,505 miles later with nothing broken, not so worried

I'll re-listen when I get home on better speakers.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Could be just the whine of gears with the new oil.

I had a 09 with 31K stock 2 years ago. Two big things to do are the rear axle TSB (60 degree retorque). I was shocked how loose the bolts were. They had never been touched; just as it was from the factory. See the DIY on this site.
The other thing to do is check the valves. The exhaust run tight. Mine were. See the DIY by Billman in this forum on the top of the page.

Quick Reply: Wrong 5w20 oil and weird noises