S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Are you adjusting valve clearances CORRECTLY? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/you-adjusting-valve-clearances-correctly-82493/)

Prolene 09-22-2002 12:50 AM

UL: Very nice dyno setup. Thanks for taking care of us all today (yesterday...).

Fwiw, I have read how others who have adjusted their valves find no differences when checking the settings again after a while, so my experience might have been a bit different or I might have gotten better or worse in the adjusting department... ;).

Gernby 09-22-2002 07:34 AM

Our local club had a dyno day a while back, and the results are posted at https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=73976

My car (with the bad valve adjustment) is the one titled "Blue S2000". You can see how little low end power it was making. You can also see my plot compared with an '00 model. My car made significantly less in the low end, and significantly more in the high end. If I wasn't so strapped for cash, I would go back for another dyno run, just to see how much difference the valve adjustment made.

vapors2k 09-22-2002 07:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]Yep, I'm pretty sure now, 2002's make more power.

I've dyno'd 3 stock 2002's on my dynapack.

OneQuickS2K 09-22-2002 09:34 PM

Holy crap! I always thought that the valve clearance is meansured between the cam lobe and the rocker arm. That's how I always adjust the valves on the B-series motors. I better make myself a note on
the S2000 motors so I know when I adjust my valves for the first time...in 5000 miles!
BTW, thanks for point this out for s2ki people...you're great!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I have been adjusting my own valve for about 10 years, and I am embarrassed to say that I have been adjusting them WRONG on my S2000.

S2K2GO!!! 09-23-2002 06:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]Thanks for your moral support.

Gernby 09-23-2002 06:28 AM

Originally posted by S2K2GO!!!

Better too loose than too tight! I'm surprised that you did not immediately hear substantial clatter, or did you? The official Honda advice is really stupid- "No need to check valve clearance till 100K unless they clatter". It's the tight, silent types that will burn and cost you big time. I found several exhaust valves way tight on the first check at 25K.

I noticed immediately that there was more valve train noise, but my idle quality was so much smoother, that I figured it was just supposed to be noisy. I also saw several threads about how Hondas were designed with allot of valve clearance AND allot of valve noise.

After this experience, I think that the F20C has rather low valve clearances, when compared to other Hondas. After correctly adjust the intake clearances, the clearance between the cam lobe and roller rocker was only .005", and a correctly adjusted exhaust valve yielded a clearance of .006" between the cam lobe and roller rocker.

I think that the F20C has a much better design, when it comes to the valve clearance adjustment. It was much easier to dial in a "perfect" reading.

Hams2000 09-24-2002 11:04 PM

I just wanted to throw in something here quickly. I was talking to my Honda tech about valves. I was telling him how I thought it was interesting that you would find valves on the same cylinder both within spec yet so far apart from each other. He told me something that was interesting. If you set one of your intake valves to the lowest end of the adjustment range where it opens more and then set the other to the highest end of the adjustment range where it opens less, then you will create a swirl pattern into the combustion chamber. He's told me that he's noticed some F20C's are coming adjusted like this. I'm going to adjust my valves this way prior to my next dyno run to test it. He stressed to me to make sure that you stay within tolerances though. Dont know what you guys think about it, but sounds interesting enough.

Chris

98TypeR#21 09-25-2002 04:07 AM

gernby:

I did EXACTLY what you did - in fact I was shocked while adjusting the valves, finding that they were ALL too tight!. Sigh.

I figured it out after a few days, and have been kicking myself ever since. retightening them all was a pain, AND some of them are still too loose.

AND it DOES feel sluggish in the low-end since I did the adjustment.

I think I'm taking it into Honda to have them do it, but I'm not sure which dealer to trust to do it right.

Bummer.

99civicboy 09-25-2002 06:44 AM

when do we need to adjust the valve, and why?

Gernby 09-25-2002 07:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 99civicboy
[B]when do we need to adjust the valve,