S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The &%$#@&&! Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
The ONLY extended warranty I ever bought in my life was for the S2000 - there's no way a engine rev'ing 9k should hold up! Of course it did. Paul sorry to hear they are not jumping on your claim.
i had the same thought process....

We also bought the 100k extended warranty on my wife's S430 which proved to have been a very wise decision.
Repair on that beast are never cheap, it seems the magic number is almost always $1800.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I bought an extended warranty on my S2k as well. Best thing about it was the refund for not using it. It was a win-win situation.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't buy an extended warranty for the S2000, and never needed one. I I didn't buy one for the MINI either. I believe I have until just under the 50k stock warranty to change my mind. I figure I'll wait to see how the car and I both doing in 50k miles, before putting any more money down. Any post-warranty issues with the car down the road, may become problems for Rori's new husband. Screw him.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 AM

Paul, I agree with you regarding the purchase of extended warranties, especially for products that have a great track record. It usually means spending hundreds of dollars a year that you don't need to. Often times, an out pocket repair ends up being a lot less than all those years of paying and not needing it. Let us know how Dorothy makes out. My money is on her.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I don't know. We've gotten more than our money's worth from our extended warranty on our washer and dryer. We usually don't buy extended warranties either, but we did on these,

The way appliances are made these days, and the materials that are used, make extended warranties very attractive.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I don't think I would have bought the SL without a warranty. The first major repair will pay me back. Just to lower to top uses so many switches, gears and other dodads I've heard it's a couple grand to fix it if it stops working. We had a 5 year, 50K mile warranty on the S, but I can't remember that we ever used it. I agree with you, Rob, appliances are a good idea to warranty, if the premium is reasonable.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
The ONLY extended warranty I ever bought in my life was for the S2000 - there's no way a engine rev'ing 9k should hold up! Of course it did. Paul sorry to hear they are not jumping on your claim.
I didn't even get one for my '04 S. I've had it for almost 9 years and never had a problem with it that would have been covered by any warranty. The only time it's ever been worked on by someone other than myself was a couple of years ago when I was having some back problems and needed/wanted the engine, tranny, rear end, brake and clutch fluids changed. It's been one of the most reliable, trouble free cars I've ever had.

Originally Posted by PJRider
Paul, ...... Let us know how Dorothy makes out. My money is on her.
Connie, Will do and that's probably the safest bet you'll ever make...!!!!
But if the service person shows up without a replacement main control board like I asked them too you'll probably read about it in the papers.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

We have extended warranties on all our appliances and our heatpumps. One service call can amount to more than the price of the warranties, so we feel that's a good reason to have them.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ralper
I don't know. We've gotten more than our money's worth from our extended warranty on our washer and dryer. We usually don't buy extended warranties either, but we did on these,

The way appliances are made these days, and the materials that are used, make extended warranties very attractive.
You make a very good point. There are a few things I will spend the additional money on for extended warranties. Expensive household appliances being among them. Also refurbished or used electronics. I bought a couple of factory refurb'ed Vizio LED TVs for our spare bedrooms from Walmart when they were having an online only clearance sale on them. I also purchased Walmart's 3 year extended warranties on them, and still came out four or five hundred dollars ahead over buying non-refurb'ed units. The TVs looked and worked like brand new, and came in unopened original factory packaging.

Every once in a while, I'll buy some used audio equipment, in those cases I almost always have it insured through an independent warranty company called, "Square Trade", which can be found online. I've never had a problem with them, their fees are reasonable, I think, and the registration and claim processes are fairly painless.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the GE appliance serviceman sent to fix our refrigerator under the extended warranty issued by FEDERAL WARRANTY SERVICE CORPORATION arrived late this morning. As stated in my previous post I had managed to get the frig running and when he hooked it up to his diagostic computer program he,or course, could find nothing wrong. But he said he would change the control board anyway....which he didn't have....and would have to order...and it would come from probably New Jersey or California.....and be delivered in about a week to our house since he doesn't have a shop [guess he works and probably lives in his truck....which by the way in big letters on the side says "GE Appliance Repair...Customer's Come First"].

So, since I called for service we are still stuck with a working but unreliable refrigerator for another week or so [at least 13 days minimum]. Not sure how much more of GE's "Customer's Come First" bullc**p we can take.

Quick Reply: The &%$#@&&! Thread