S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2017 Solar Eclipse

Old 07-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1468540143' post='24016864
George, about it getting so much colder, doesn't that have a lot to do with where you are? The temperature doesn't vary that much in some places. Where were you and when, date wise, for that big temperature swing? YES, IT DOES. IN CABO SAN LUCAS, IT GOT NOTICEABLY COLDER. IN MONTANA, IT WAS ALREADY 25° BELOW. Oh, and awesome photo above! Can you look at that ring with you bare eyes? YES, DEFINITELY. PHOTOGRAPHY: DURING PARTIAL YOU ARE USING A #5 NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER, WHICH CUTS THE LIGHT TO 1/10,000, AND ARE WORRIED ABOUT TOO MUCH LIGHT. WHEN TOTALITY HITS, YOU TAKE OFF THE FILTER AND ARE WORRIED ABOUT NOT ENOUGH LIGHT.
Interesting.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

I've been checking eclipse tours. Most are fully booked a year out. We're driving to Oregon, so I only need a land package. Or we could do it completely on our own. I've got a call and email in to Classic Tours, which is hooked up with Jay Pashakoff, the guru of solar eclipses. This will be his 65th solar eclipse.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM

I just signed us up for that Classic Tours land package. Four nights in Salem, OR. Too long there, but we'll hang out with some really cool solar eclipse veterans with some really interesting equipment. We'll drive up separately with the Meade LX200 scope you saw earlier in this thread and tag along with their bus. We were going to take the dogs, but now maybe not. We did an eclipse tour once before: Cabo San Lucas in 1991.

http:///www.celestron...e-watch#entered

http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/
Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to be full in the town where I work, Emmett Idaho, but barely a partial in the town I live, Kuna. They are only 30 miles apart. Weird.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 PM

I really want to see this full bore. Oregon Idaho Wyoming? I'm thinking Idaho after a flight on Southwest in to Boise. I haven't looked into how close Boise is to the 100% ellipse path, though. Any advice/thoughts, Jonathan? It would really make me happy if I had my kids and their partners fly in too and we all stayed in the same hotel but saw the eclipse from a pretty, natural area.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Hey, here's another idea. Any other Old Farts interested? No S2000s needed.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
I really want to see this full bore. Oregon Idaho Wyoming? I'm thinking Idaho after a flight on Southwest in to Boise. I haven't looked into how close Boise is to the 100% ellipse path, though. Any advice/thoughts, Jonathan? It would really make me happy if I had my kids and their partners fly in too and we all stayed in the same hotel but saw the eclipse from a pretty, natural area.
Patty, the trick with eclipse watching is to choose a location with a high probability of good weather.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:18 PM

According to the link in the first post, the town I work in will be in totality for 25 seconds. About an hour north will last much longer. 2 hours north of our house.

You are welcome to fly in and stay with us if you like. You might like what you see and not want to leave.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1472015210' post='24046323
Patty, the trick with eclipse watching is to choose a location with a high probability of good weather.

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1472015210' post='24046323
According to the link in the first post, the town I work in will be in totality for 25 seconds. About an hour north will last much longer. 2 hours north of our house.

You are welcome to fly in and stay with us if you like. You might like what you see and not want to leave.
That makes sense, George.

I've never been to Idaho, Jonathan. Good excuse to go there. I know it's pretty and green but not much else. Where would be 2 hours north of you with the longest dark totality? Is there a town?
Old 08-28-2016, 04:56 PM

I've never been to Idaho, Jonathan. Good excuse to go there. I know it's pretty and green but not much else. Where would be 2 hours north of you with the longest dark totality? Is there a town?
McCall is the town two hours North. It is also suppose to pretty dark in Weiser and that is 1 1/2 hours Northwest.

Quick Reply: 2017 Solar Eclipse