S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Amazon Prime

Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 AM

Received 707 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Amazon Prime

Does anyone use this. I have been ordering most of my purchases from Amazon and they offer free shipping if you sign up. It costs $100 annually. I find that their shipping costs are reasonable. Are there any other perks associated with this. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, media stuff. My son has this and uses it to get Netflix, I believe.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 AM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,639 Posts

We have it and we are both big fans. I don't enjoy shopping, running around when I need stuff, Amazon makes my life easier. I found a pair of Zumba sneakers I like. I just re-order from Amazon no trip to a store/mall needed, and I look around (on the web with other vendors) before purchasing to make sure I'm getting a good price. We make large and small purchases through Amazon, using Prime and have had no issues even with returns.

I find it worth the annual fee. We stream some of their Prime shows as they have some that are exclusive to them. We also have Netflix for streaming, but that is separate of Amazon. However if you don't have a smart TV Amazon's "Fire stick" allows you to stream on your TV.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:24 AM

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I'm a big user of Amazon for shopping only, but I don't have Prime. I get free shipping anyway because I usually have at least the amount to qualify and I don't need it in the next couple of days. Even with the 5-8 days stated for free shipping, it never takes that long. I'm not a fan of fees, banking or otherwise. So I avoid them when possible.

But it seems to work for others. I think the +1 has it.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 AM
tof

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,315 Posts

We have it. We saved enough in shipping charges during last Christmas season to offset the annual fee. I order something or other from Amazon every week or two. It is nice to have the freedom to just order one roll of shelf paper if that's all you need, without having to pay half again the cost of the product itself in shipping fees.

Also we binge-watched all of the Orphan Black and Downton Abby past seasons via Prime and plan on doing the same with The Wire next. We have a Chromecast device that just plugs into one of the TV's lets us put almost any PC-based video on the TV, making it easy and cheap to cast Prime streaming content from our phone or laptop to the TV.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It must be a good deal if a FRUGAL guy like me is signed up Now in the new condo with our Smart TV finally online, we have started to explore the no-extra-cost movies, TV shows and other media that are available via Amazon Prime. All with the on-demand stuff from the Comcast package, we haven't felt the need to subscribe to Netflix. Various people have said to us "why pay $10-15/month for something that you may not even USE in a given month?"
Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I am surprised at how much I use the Netflix streaming. Some of the shows available on Amazon are not the entire series, but I do like a couple of the series made from Amazon Prime. So far, I found the movies to be "so so" For a total of around $15.00/month I have the Netflix plan which allows streaming on up to four TV's (shared password with son and his family) and we also can get two more up to date movies on a disk per month. NetFlix doesn't always have the licensing to stream the newly released movies. We sometimes bring the disk to a friend's house and have movie night.

I still don't find enough TV of interest to watch on cable, or on demand. I have not sprung for a DVR, not worth it to me. There are only a few things on cable that I do watch and if I don't catch the show, I can watch on demand. I do like watching Amazon and Netflix with ZERO commercials.

Rick's "gym" in the basement has a TV with the option to stream or watch DV on demand. It's a cheap gym "membership."
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

We dumped our satellite dish a few years ago. I bought the Amazon Fire TV shortly after it came out and had to pay for a Prime membership. Really like the music streaming. I find I'm ordering more and more from Amazon now. I recently bought a few hundred dollars worth of car parts that I would not normally have thought to buy from Amazon. So far, it has been well worth the money.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 707 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks for all the great info on this. I had no idea you could do all of that. I have to order a steam cleaner for my detailing business and the shipping is not cheap so I will sigh up before I place my order.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

We've had it for years. Use it a lot. Love it! I order from Amazon even when it's a dollar or two more than elsewhere if it's available with prime. It drives me crazy to buy something for 6.98 and pay 7.49 for shipping.

Quick Reply: Amazon Prime