S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Any bourbon drinkers here? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/any-bourbon-drinkers-here-1179956/)

Lovetodrive2000 11-30-2017 04:49 PM

Any bourbon drinkers here?

Over the past few years, have been expanding my collection (which I drink)....

Used to be a Makers Mark person, but have found a lot of other bourbons out there that taste so much better.

How about you?

Here is my current collection... :)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1638e77c7e.jpg

boltonblue 11-30-2017 04:56 PM

Like scotch, bourbon, meh, not so much.
I got some Makers mark and was rather disappointed.

Legal Bill 11-30-2017 05:17 PM

Mine's on your second shelf with the horse on top. Of course, I don't have a bottle at the moment.

Do you do Japanese whiskey. Some of that stuff costs thousands.

MsPerky 11-30-2017 05:21 PM

The +1 has been into bourbon since running his first Bourbon Chase in KY a couple of years ago. His collection at the moment includes Four Roses (three bottles), Bulleit, Knob Creek, Jim Beam Fire and Maker's Mark. He also samples bourbons at one of our fave restaurants up the street. They have about 75 of them.

Lovetodrive2000 11-30-2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24390522)
Mine's on your second shelf with the horse on top. Of course, I don't have a bottle at the moment.

Haven't gotten into the Japanese stuff....

Blantons is getting hard to find around here....

Lovetodrive2000 11-30-2017 05:23 PM

Next event we go to with you folks....

Need to bring a few to try! :D

Lovetodrive2000 11-30-2017 05:34 PM

Don't ya just love it when one of your kids get you to sell them one of your bottles to them...

So they can give it to their hubby!!!

There goes my Col EH Taylor single barrel! :(

Means I need to go shopping more! :LOL:

Lovetodrive2000 11-30-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24390515)
Like scotch, bourbon, meh, not so much.
I got some Makers mark and was rather disappointed.

Its kinda funny... have tried scotch a few times...

And never liked it...

Its all in the taste buds! :)

dlq04 11-30-2017 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky (Post 24390525)
The +1 has been into bourbon since running his first Bourbon Chase in KY a couple of years ago. His collection at the moment includes Four Roses (three bottles), Bulleit, Knob Creek, Jim Beam Fire and Maker's Mark. He also samples bourbons at one of our fave restaurants up the street. They have about 75 of them.

I was going to suggest Bulleit since I did not see it on the shelf. My old standby is Jim Beam white label. In fact, I am at my son-in-law‘s and have a choice of drinking Jim Beam white label versus Woodford reserve ......... which I probably will be drinking next since I have just about killed 1/2 gallon of JB this week at his house. I have tried lots of high end brands but always come back to JB. JB Black is good too. Never cared for Makers Mark much but beats water. :LOL:

dlq04 11-30-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24390539)

And never liked it...

I agree scotch is like drinking medicine.

MsPerky 12-01-2017 01:06 AM

The +1 likes another one I haven't heard of before - Jefferson's Ocean. One of the bottles of Four Roses is a special engraved one he got at the distillery when he and the team ran the Bourbon Chase this year. Found out after I posted above last night that my niece gave us a gift certificate to the local restaurant with all the bourbons - it's called Barley Mac.

boltonblue 12-01-2017 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24390539)

And never liked it...

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24390546)

You guys must not be drinking the right scotch.
The macallan that I like has reached the age of consent, and is 18yr old, although I prefer them older but they are well and truly out of my price range.
On the flip side my consumption rates border on teetotaler.

S1997 12-01-2017 05:17 AM

I have always liked scotch better than bourbon; but lately I have been enjoying Templeton Rye.

S2KRAY 12-01-2017 05:51 AM

I drank Jack and water when I was in the Navy. Not much anymore. It is good for a cold with hot tea and honey.

NNY S2k 12-01-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24390546)

X2
Levi

Headchef 12-01-2017 07:27 AM

You drink Flying A Bill?

canberra 12-01-2017 07:59 AM

More years ago than I care to think about, a Ford Dealer friend in North Carolina introduced me to a sour mash called George Dickel #12. It was originally sold in powder horn shaped bottles (that I really should have saved). Haven't been able to find anything I like as much since.

Zippy 12-01-2017 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24390522)

Ahh, Blantons. When I was into bourbons, that was my favorite.

Legal Bill 12-01-2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24390582)
You guys must not be drinking the right scotch.
The macallan that I like has reached the age of consent, and is 18yr old, although I prefer them older but they are well and truly out of my price range.
On the flip side my consumption rates border on teetotaler.

I like the 12 better than the 18. Saves me $$.

SheDrivesIt 12-01-2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy (Post 24390725)
Ahh, Blantons. When I was into bourbons, that was my favorite.

Not me. To me, Blantons is too..........refined, I guess. It's like they refined all of the character out of it.

coop 12-01-2017 02:56 PM

my drink of choice when I am out is Captain and Coke, just about everyone has that, but at home or when I can find it at bars and restaurants is Woodford Reserve Double Oak.

I am trying to find a good travel container that won't break for when I am traveling, since I do travel off the beaten path a lot.

MsPerky 12-02-2017 03:23 AM

The +1 got a nice bottle of Basil Hayden's to take to our friends' house today.

garrett23rd 12-02-2017 08:45 AM

I drink Wellers green label. It's good & inexpensive.

UnkieTrunkie 12-03-2017 11:20 AM

I love nearly all things boozeahol. We have a semi-regular bottle club at work, and we've had the good fortune of having nearly everything that's around a fair consumer price (and a few that aren't).
For Bourbon, my favorite go-to is Evan William's Single Barrel. An absolute price/performance winner. I have a bottle of that, and Basil Haydn's in the cupboard. My other favorites are Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, and Breckenridge. My next treat-myself purchase though might be a nicer bottle of Weller.
For Japanese Whiskey, the +1 and I love Nikka Coffey. We don't have any in the cupboard right now. I feel like a bottle of that, or Hibiki should be in there.
The +1 is a big Scotch fan. I love the stuff too. We were in Scotland in October, and did a 4 day tour of Islay. As of right now, I just might love Scotch more than Bourbon.
Pro: we brought back 4 liters of Scotch from Scotland.
Con: No, you can't have any. :LOL:

The Raptor 12-03-2017 02:25 PM

Sour mash: Jack Daniel's on the rocks.

Lovetodrive2000 12-03-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by garrett23rd (Post 24391080)
I drink Wellers green label. It's good & inexpensive.

I guess I will need to pick up another bottle of the Special Reserve....

Had it a year or two ago, and wasn't fond of it.

Its actually the only Wellers you can sometimes find on the shelf around here tho!

dlq04 12-03-2017 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Raptor (Post 24391411)
Sour mash: Jack Daniel's on the rocks.

Thats what I drink, no matter what time, when I'm flying. But neat, no ice,

Legal Bill 12-04-2017 12:15 PM

Anyone drink Segrams?

dlq04 12-04-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24391848)
Anyone drink Segrams?

As you probably know Seagram's 7 is a whiskey.

dlq04 12-04-2017 12:25 PM

There are a lot of bourbon's out there to pick from: Ancient Age, Angels Envy, Baker's, Basil Hayden's, Bird Dog, Blanton's, booker's Bowman Brothers, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Devils Cut, Eagle Rare, Early Times, Elijah Craig, Elmer T. Lee, Evan Williams, Ezra B, Ezra Brooks, Fighting Cock, Four Roses, Four Roses (SB), Hancock's Reserve, Henry McKenna, Jefferson's Reserve, Jim Beam, Jim Beam Black, Jim Beam Select, Knob Creek, Lexington, Maker's Mark, Michter's, Old Crow Reserve, Old Forester Signaure, Old Grand Dad, Old Taylor, Penny Packer, Rebel Yell, Red Stag - Blackberry, Ridgemont Reserve, Rockhill Farms, Russel's Reserve, Ten High, Traverse City Whiskey, Wild Turkey, Weller Special Reserve, Woodford Reserve and some others I likely missed.

Legal Bill 12-04-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24391858)

It's all whiskey. People are talking about scotch in this thread. Scotch is whiskey. Burbon is whiskey.

What’s the Difference Between Scotch, Whiskey and Bourbon? | Mental Floss

riggit tony 12-06-2017 04:37 AM

I love Bourbon. The +1 and I have gone down and done the Bourbon Trail twice. My brother inlaw and I do a Bourbon tasting at least once a month. I will have to post the pics of my EMPTY bottle collection. Go to is Markers. Favorite to date Pappy 20 year old before it went thru the roof. Trying to get hold of Elmer T. Lee

dlq04 12-08-2017 09:44 PM

I'm enjoying a little time tonight with Bulleit Bourbon. My friend Jim Beam said it was ok. If you have never tried it, you really should. :)

Kyras 12-08-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24391858)

Reminds me of my Gram; my mom's mom. She had three husbands; divorced one and buried two. She was a tiny hell-raiser. Her first husband, mom's dad, was her highschool math teacher in Florida although she came from Toledo. Gram loved partying with friends half her age while she pounded 7 and 7s, when I was a teenager.

MsPerky 12-09-2017 01:33 AM

My niece gave us a gift cert to that bourbon place up the street referenced above. The +1 will be happy. :thumbup: Very good food, too.

dlq04 12-10-2017 05:01 PM

If you want to try a really smooth bourbon (excuse me, its whiskey from IN), let me suggest Virginia Black. Song lovers like Rob, and others, probably know of "Drake". Seems Mr. Lots of Money Drake, who sings great love songs as well as dirty rap, wants more money and came out with this new bourbon. It's so smooth I could drink it like pop....... my 21 year old grandson brought it over tonight to see if it passed my taste test. It's like $20 for pint but it really is a smooth drink if you like it neat.

Legal Bill 12-11-2017 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24393920)
Reminds me of my Gram; my mom's mom. She had three husbands; divorced one and buried two. She was a tiny hell-raiser. Her first husband, mom's dad, was her highschool math teacher in Florida although she came from Toledo. Gram loved partying with friends half her age while she pounded 7 and 7s, when I was a teenager.

Ha ha. That was my Dad's drink as well. Unfortunately, he drank way too much of it.

Kyras 12-11-2017 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24394522)
Ha ha. That was my Dad's drink as well. Unfortunately, he drank way too much of it.

^Did it have to do with his death? My Gram also smoked. She had clogged arteries and had her carotid arteries reamed out twice. She had a pacemaker. She eventually had a bad stroke that was her slow end. She died at about 76 years-old which beat my mom's death at 68 years-old.

Legal Bill 12-11-2017 09:18 AM

It's hard to say, Patty, but a life of hard drinking could not have helped. I think my dad was 73 or so when he died.

Lovetodrive2000 12-12-2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24394602)
^Did it have to do with his death? My Gram also smoked. She had clogged arteries and had her carotid arteries reamed out twice. She had a pacemaker. She eventually had a bad stroke that was her slow end. She died at about 76 years-old which beat my mom's death at 68 years-old.

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24394633)
It's hard to say, Patty, but a life of hard drinking could not have helped. I think my dad was 73 or so when he died.

You are going to die from one thing or another.... so enjoy your time here....

Alcohol, tobacco, car crash, airplane crash, bad genes, tree falling on you, DR making wrong diagnosis, hit by a car, ate by a shark, earthquake, wild fire, etc...... never know when your time is up, so you might as well enjoy it while you can!!!!

And yes, I try taking care of my body, but I also want to enjoy life!!!!

dlq04 12-12-2017 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24395250)

Alcohol, tobacco, car crash, airplane crash, bad genes, tree falling on you, DR making wrong diagnosis, hit by a car, ate by a shark, earthquake, wild fire, etc...... never know when your time is up, so you might as well enjoy it while you can!!!!

We read the same book.

MsPerky 12-13-2017 12:57 AM

The +1 polished off a bottle of Maker's Mark last night - well, not the whole thing. Just a shot. He was celebrating a certain event. :)

Kyras 12-13-2017 04:54 AM

Yes, I agree!

Scooterboy 12-13-2017 08:02 AM

Last week as we walked thru the crater of Kilauea Iki volcano I worried about an eruption now I have to worry about my doctor? :banghead:

I need a drink! :wine:

Legal Bill 12-13-2017 11:13 AM

I guess if you enjoy being shit-faced all the time, it's a way to go. I've seen it up close and personal and try my best to avoid it..

dlq04 12-13-2017 11:58 AM

Bill, I doubt anyone who posted here saying they enjoy drinking expected that to infer they enjoy being shit-faced. One does not mean the other.

Scooterboy 12-13-2017 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24395598)
I guess if you enjoy being shit-faced all the time, it's a way to go. I've seen it up close and personal and try my best to avoid it..

I know my limit and rarely, rarely exceed it. I never drink if I have to drive. Not that he needs (or wants) me to stick up for him but I have never seen Mike past that magical point.

I do agree with you Bill. I hate being around those type of people. They can ruin a nice evening with good friends and good drink.

boltonblue 12-13-2017 05:38 PM

I can honestly say, I haven't had too much to drink since college, 36 years.
In fact I can't recall having 3 servings since that point in time.

dlq04 12-13-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24395709)
I can honestly say, I haven't had too much to drink since college, 36 years.
In fact I can't recall having 3 servings since that point in time.

With all your non-stop health issues, maybe you should. Just saying.

MsPerky 12-14-2017 02:46 AM

There's fine line between a happy drunk and an obnoxious/boring/depressing drunk. I've been around both and the second type is a drag. I say know your limit and stick with it as much as possible for the sake of your loved ones and friends. Unfortunately, the second type seldom pays attention or doesn't care. I pay attention because I really hate being hung over!

dlq04 12-14-2017 04:49 PM

Deb, I agree. As one who admits to having cross the line a few times, its much better to stay on the fun side. Went mall Xmas shopping in Ann Arbor, about an hour away, today. On the way home we stopped at a nice pub we've known for years. Nice dinner, lots of laughs along with a few drinks.

UnkieTrunkie 12-15-2017 09:16 AM

So last night after dinner, we headed over to our corner liquor store to get our hair stylist a Christmas gift (Gentleman Jack, accept not substitutes for her), and I had every intention of buying another "value" bourbon for myself. . . . walked out with the Willett Pot Still Reserve. I have not ever had it before, but it comes recommended.

Oh, and I also had a nip of Basil Haydn's with some homemade toffee from a co-worker. . . that's a Christmas treat you don't want to miss.

boltonblue 12-15-2017 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24395748)
With all your non-stop health issues, maybe you should. Just saying.

that at least is one problem I don't have.

dlq04 12-15-2017 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24396502)
that at least is one problem I don't have.

And, I will be the first to admit, I do enjoy it too much...... hopefully I don't cross the line often.

AZS2KDancer 12-16-2017 10:09 AM

I ended up with a bottle of Christian Bros. Brandy VS at this years' holiday gift exchage at work. I've never tried it before. I looked up one review that said it tastes more like bourbon.

TASTING NOTES

"Tasting this blind, you'd be hard pressed to guess you were drinking a brandy. The aromas are so strongly associated with bourbon: vanilla, maple, and char smoke. Sweet on the tip of your tongue with caramel and maple, the body of the product is on the thin side and finishes bittersweet. The thing is, the product itself isn't horrible; it's not great, but it's drinkable. The problem is, it doesn't taste like the product of fruit, let alone grapes."

REVIEWED BY STEPHANIE MORENO

UnkieTrunkie 12-18-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer (Post 24396626)
I ended up with a bottle of Christian Bros. Brandy VS at this years' holiday gift exchage at work. I've never tried it before. I looked up one review that said it tastes more like bourbon.

Warning! This suggestion is worth what you paid for it:
Wisconsin's State Cocktail.

s2000Junky 12-18-2017 11:23 AM

I've always enjoyed Margaritas, and finding new Tequila ages and formulas at home to make some of the best/interesting versions for my guest. But more recent have acquired more of an interest/appreciation for some finer whiskey and making manhattans more specifically, though I'm still new to trying what's all out there and what I can justify spending. I've had some of the better go to's Such as Makers, Basil Hayden's and Eagle Rare - My fav so far I think. And actually I enjoy the smoother slightly sweeter tastes of Jamison for just sipping on the rocks or neat. Its a good price point for me too. My buddy had a 12 year Scotch that I tried and enjoyed recently, but not sure of the brand.

Would be fun to go taste testing sometime to get a broader scope of what's out there. I tend to like a richer more interesting character wile having a sweeter but smooth finish. Probably something more expensive then I can afford/justify. Jim Beam/Jack is pretty gross to me strait up, which was the first Bourbon I ever had and probably why I never gravitated to Whisky/Bourbon as a drink in general. But realizing late in life there is quite a large array of better options out there, its tickled my more enthusiast spirit if you will :p

Vanishing Point 12-18-2017 11:40 AM

Recently I've tried a couple of bottles of High West "Bourye" and "Campfire." The Bourye is exceptional; highly recommended. If you like a smokey scotch, you'll like Campfire. It's like a mix between a smokey scotch and bourbon.

https://www.highwest.com/products/bourye.php

https://www.highwest.com/products/hi...y-campfire.php

UnkieTrunkie 12-18-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 24397195)
Recently I've tried a couple of bottles of High West "Bourye" and "Campfire." The Bourye is exceptional; highly recommended. If you like a smokey scotch, you'll like Campfire. It's like a mix between a smokey scotch and bourbon.

https://www.highwest.com/products/bourye.php

https://www.highwest.com/products/hi...y-campfire.php

Several years ago, the +1 and I went to Las Vegas on a Sun-Wed. (nothing too cheap). . . Anyway, she finds a High West whiskey dinner for Monday night. 4 courses $50. . . we show up, and they seat us next to the other "out-of-towners." 6 of us at what felt like the social leper's table. . . but it was her, myself, the owner of the restaurant, the Western Sales Rep for High West, The Owner/Head Distiller, and the regional distributor.

. . . everybody else got 6 whiskies, while the Wester Sales Rep pretty much cracked open the sampler box of another 4 products including the Campfire (pre-release). Great stuff, but since the buyout, I've shied away.

Lovetodrive2000 12-18-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24395598)

Not being sh*t faced... but you can still enjoy an adult beverage or two....
Just because you have a collection, or a hobby.... doesn't mean you drink it till the liver gives out!

Lovetodrive2000 12-18-2017 04:40 PM

What we tried tonight at home! Could have sold these to bottles on the secondary market for $2k.... but what I buy... going to drink!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...97b9b4f96b.jpg

s2000Junky 12-18-2017 07:24 PM

Since we are on the topic, thought id share a pic of my bar. For me its as much about the display as whats being offered to drink. I enjoy the decor probably more then actually drinking, which is typically only when I have guests over to share in the occasion.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...237a4a9e50.jpg

dlq04 12-19-2017 03:59 PM

^ Looks neat, you should use it more and be less uptight about politics (could this be your first post outside the politics forum?) Just kidding.

s2000Junky 12-19-2017 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24397728)
^ Looks neat, you should use it more and be less uptight about politics (could this be your first post outside the politics forum?) Just kidding.

Thanks. Come on over we can discuss politics in person over a drink. Just Kidding! :p

boltonblue 12-27-2017 08:14 AM

It seems my good friends at the Macallan distilley are a sick buncha bastards I tell ya.
They keep mailing me about this 40 yr old sherry cask aged single malt scotch.

Exclusively matured in hand-picked Oloroso sherry seasoned oak casks from Jerez, Spain, this highly limited release is testament to The Macallan’s exceptional oak casks; transforming the rich, fruity and full bodied ‘new make’ spirit into a single malt of great richness and character.

Once distilled, the precious spirit was laid down to mature for 40 years in our exceptional oak casks. It is these casks that are the single greatest contributor to the outstanding quality, natural colour and distinctive aromas and flavours which lie at the heart of this rare Macallan single malt whisky.
Crafted from an intriguing combination of three casks – a European oak sherry butt, a European oak sherry hogshead and an American oak sherry butt.
The Macallan Sherry Oak 40 years old is a rich and complex whisky, displaying a natural deep copper colour.
This 2017 release will be available from December 2017 onwards, spanning the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa and will also be available in exclusive airport retail stores worldwide and at The Macallan Distillery.
  • DRIED FRUIT
  • GINGER
  • WOOD SPICE
  • CITRUS
  • CINNAMON
Colour: Deep Copper
ABV: 44.00%
Nose: Sultanas with gingers and wood spice.
A background of sweet cinnamon and citrus emerges.
Palate: Opens with soft cinnamon spices, quickly developing into a mouth coating of date and figs.
Finish: Long, rich with a lingering cinnamon spice.

Oy yah their a bunch a whitty bastahrds and the buggers, yah they're sending 70 bottles to the US. 70 bottles.
fer chrissakes that's a busy weekend at eh club doontcha know.
of course at $15,000 a bottle that might put a few folks off a bit.
funny pricks.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...c4c96d8863.jpg

s2000Junky 12-27-2017 10:17 AM

$15,000?! :eek2: Id like to know what the difference is between say a $1000 bottle and this one? I mean really, come on! The people that buy this, do they also get together and eat endangered species for dinner?

MsPerky 12-27-2017 10:21 AM

When we went out to dinner Christmas Eve, there was a shot of Pappy Van Winkle listed for $140.

boltonblue 12-27-2017 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24400385)
$15,000?! :eek2: Id like to know what the difference is between say a $1000 bottle and this one? I mean really, come on! The people that buy this, do they also get together and eat endangered species for dinner?

I know what the $1,000 bottle taste like because I used to buy it before everyone discovered Macmillan. but sadly a 25 yr old now is in that range.
the 40 yr old is 15 times that.
If someone is willing to pay for it, we can set up a taste test and I'll give you an answer. :LOL:
I bet a lot of it would be on an expense account.

Scooterboy 12-27-2017 02:57 PM

After the third drink it all tastes the same! :drunk:

Legal Bill 12-28-2017 06:37 AM

To me the differences are enough to justify like a $25 premium. After that it's all "my d__k is bigger than yours."

Emil St-Hilaire 12-28-2017 10:33 AM

Is it really,That big ??? :worthless:

jukngene 12-28-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24400637)
To me the differences are enough to justify like a $25 premium. After that it's all "my d__k is bigger than yours."

Deck? Duck? Yes, we need pictures. :)

Emil St-Hilaire 12-28-2017 11:45 AM

Don't be shy,Bill...

s2000Junky 12-28-2017 01:32 PM

Im fine without pics myself :LOL:

boltonblue 12-28-2017 05:19 PM

well there was that picture in new york but they painted it over already.