S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Bad behavior - Matt Lauer looking for work

Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
It was such a worry at work that I would even refrain for complimenting anyone. There were many times that a women would change their hair color or style or lost weight and I would not compliment them for fear that they may take it as me hitting on them.

Saw it happen and it wasn't going to happen to me!
Prolly this kind of behavior is on another level compared to the very bad ones these folks in the news seemed to have engaged in, on a long-term basis. There is a line.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
It was such a worry at work that I would even refrain for complimenting anyone. There were many times that a women would change their hair color or style or lost weight and I would not compliment them for fear that they may take it as me hitting on them.

Saw it happen and it wasn't going to happen to me!
I don't know, David, you looked pretty hot in those shorts last summer.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

My hope is that out of all of this we will collectively come with a finer definition or granularity of what constitutes sexual harassment.
The extremes range from ' hi you look nice today" to " if you don't sleep with me, your job is gone and the next girl will."
The first in isolation is an innocent coworker being pleasant. Obviously repeated and more explicit comments push over the line.
The latter about as clear and direct a case as your can get. Throw in groping and filthy and degrading language and you've got a full course meal.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

If I was working today, it looks like my ass would be thrown in jail in two seconds. I've touched women on the back (not bottom back) ala Garrison Keillor. I've patted them on the back for a job well done. Hell, I've even hugged some for a job well done. My entire career from the late '70s to retirement was supported and advanced by many great women that worked for me. This current state of affairs would have me walking on ball bearings at work.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
If I was working today, it looks like my ass would be thrown in jail in two seconds. I've touched women on the back (not bottom back) ala Garrison Keillor. I've patted them on the back for a job well done. Hell, I've even hugged some for a job well done. My entire career from the late '70s to retirement was supported and advanced by many great women that worked for me. This current state of affairs would have me walking on ball bearings at work.

Yup.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

In this case, where there is smoke, there's fire. Mr. Lauer's statement:

"There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry."As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.
"Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job," he added. "The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace."

Old 11-30-2017, 04:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Yup.
^ X2
Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 AM

I'd bail you out, Harry! A celebratory hug, or a pat on the back should not be a big deal, but somehow it is now. Heck, they even discourage little kids from hugging each other in some circumstances....Teaching kids about boundaries is important, and it carries into the working world...Boundaries are good, but maybe we've gone too far....and there is the issue of some people who may play that "harassment card" a bit too easily. It's a complicated world.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
In this case, where there is smoke, there's fire. Mr. Lauer's statement:

"There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry."As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.
"Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job," he added. "The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace."

Typical lawyer prepared How can or will he explain the button under his desk that locked his office door so he could act as he wished?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87
Typical lawyer prepared How can or will he explain the button under his desk that locked his office door so he could act as he wished?
According to what I read, the button/locking device is not unusual for a high profile anchor....maybe it's to keep bad guys out, however it appears, one of the bad guys had control of the locking device.

Quick Reply: Bad behavior - Matt Lauer looking for work