S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Climate Change Update

Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Climate Change Update

Here is an article about the latest report from the IPCC. This report has been overshadowed by other news over the past few weeks. This seems to be the global science community's "last call" for action to stem the tide of global warming, a term I use because that consequence seems to be at the heart of the report and the recommendations. Interestingly, even if there is an abrupt decrease in CO emissions, the climate is still scheduled to overshoot the .5 degree temperature increase that is predicted to bring about wide spread change to the global ecosystem. In other words, it is already too late to avoid the outcome, but we may be able to minimize and curtail it if we act now.

So does this report change your thinking or your behavior? Do you plan to do anything to reduce (or further reduce) your carbon footprint?

Let's leave the role of governments to the Politics sub forum, please. This thread assumes that all humans contribute to the problem and asks what, if anything, you as an individual will do, not what you think government should make other people do.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world...wxc/index.html
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

This will not be easy to keep non-political, because politics is mentioned in the article. So let’s give it a try. Please do not comment about the initial paragraph in the text...or any other political points made. Some are inferred in the text. If the thread sticks to Bill’s intent, it should not have to be moved. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Jim.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

This is more business oriented than just the individual. But years ago (probably 8 years ago now) I ran some numbers, given the best info and estimates I had at the time (amateur estimates by me) for the scenario of the very large company I then worked for regarding the amount of fuel usage by folks that COULD work from home, but had to come to the office because said organization refused to have a work from home policy (you know, because if you are not in sight you must not be working ... ) and the numbers were quite surprising. I sent some of this info to management, recommending getting out front with trying to be green in this area. I received "thanks but no thanks" effectively.

In my opinion, one way of decreasing fuel usage that does not depend on asking individuals to stop going on vacations, etc is to push the whole working remote concept. I will not get into political ways to drive this. The important thing is that in today's world, we have more ways than ever to do our jobs remote, and a lot of us, even though sitting at an office, are working with remote teams anyways. I wonder just how many folks are needlessly driving to an office in crappy rush hour commutes each day, to do a job they could have easily performed from home.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

I remember when we all thought that pc's and the internet would save the trees because we could do away with paper. Ha, ha, ha, sadly not so. Can you imagine how many trees it takes to make all the boxes that Amazon ships?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I dunno. But I think this topic is extremely important.

Maybe recycling will help reduce CO2 somewhat. For one thing recycling takes effort and requires motivation, so I think information and awareness are vital. Our family is very good about recycling in Houston. But in Durango, while it is possible, it is much more difficult. Recycling all of that cardboard should help somewhat in conservation. Also recycling in general. I’d like to know the statistics on recycling practices in rural vs urban areas of the country.

It will no doubt require a strong and informed committment on our part if we are going to have a chance to save the planet from the growing threat. I’m certainly no expert on these matters, but with a rapidly increasing world population, humans are putting massively increasing pressure on the earth’s environment. So who knows whether any counter measures could realistically succeed in the long run. And since we are talking about the present’s projecting into the future, well who is really heeding the warning signs in the face of other seeming requisites for human happiness, instant gratification, and insistence on progress. And it is just too easy, for instance, for me to get into the S and drive from gas station to gas station all the way across the country - just for fun - and repeatedly. Or drive all weekend at the track getting 5 mpg. So I am reticent to blame someone else for my part in the problem.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,513 Posts

I, like Jim, think nothing of hopping in the S and taking off for parts unknown. I hope that I am offsetting this by recycling religiously, owning an Energy Star rated home and improving over that rating by increasing our homes efficiency in areas where we can. Regrettably, I don't believe that most of us are the biggest problem. Developing countries are doing far more damage than we can ever offset.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I, like Jim, think nothing of hopping in the S and taking off for parts unknown. I hope that I am offsetting this by recycling religiously, owning an Energy Star rated home and improving over that rating by increasing our homes efficiency in areas where we can. Regrettably, I don't believe that most of us are the biggest problem. Developing countries are doing far more damage than we can ever offset.
Only Saudi Arabia emits more pollutants per capita than the US.

Australia/Canada are right there with us.

The developed countries are the issue.

And only China produces more CO2 as a whole (2x as much CO2 for a population 3x as large as the US)
Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

For one thing recycling takes effort and requires motivation
And my bride does it more than anyone I know. She actually washes out all the empty suet feeder plastic containers to be recycled. We have been recycling for so many years I've lost count. Our garbage pickup has us put recycle stuff in a clear plastic bag beside the other stuff. All I have to do is look down the street and it tells me we are One Of The Few who care. And, we just got a notice to not include glass because it is no longer profitable for them!
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I live with guilt. I am a higher consumer. big motors big house.
But I also do what I can with recycling. If we were staying in this house I would have solar cells on the roof.
On the flip side I have 3+ acres of trees sucking CO2 out of the skies.

Of late I am amused by the articles about wind power raising ground temperatures around them by a half a degree celsius.
They are not heating the air at all just recirculating slightly warmer air down to the ground.
So in theory to balance it off they are probably cooling the air at 1,000 feet by a corresponding amount.

Quick Reply: Climate Change Update