S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Cordless Impact Wrench (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/cordless-impact-wrench-1178200/)

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 11:48 AM

Cordless Impact Wrench

Hi everyone. If you own a 1/2 drive cordless impact wrench, please tell us if you like it and what brand and model you purchased. The old Harbor Freight all plastic version I bought back in 2003 for changing tires at the autocross seems to be junk now. I didn't use it that much, but then again, I didn't pay that much for it either. The new HF models seem to have metal or partial metal bodies. I also see they offer a higher end model for $250. I'm not sure that it is worth the price and if I'm going to spend that much shouldn't I buy a better brand name like Milwaukee? I may buy another HF, but I thought I'd see what others are using.

Emil St-Hilaire 10-03-2017 11:57 AM

Here.
5 Best Impact Wrenches - Oct. 2017 - BestReviews

engifineer 10-03-2017 12:07 PM

AVE (youtube channel) did a teardown of a new Earthquake XT from HF just the other day. Surprisingly well built inside .. very surprisingly well built. He had already tested the air version of it and was only mildly impressed and the Hercules they sell was built like a toy inside. But the XT cordless was impressive.

He then tested it by torquing a bolt as high as that bolt would withstand (about 500 ft lbs) with a test setup and then tried breaking it loose with the XT. It didnt even flinch, so it at least took a bolt off with that much tq holding it together. I was surprised as well.

I have a Rigid that does fine unless it is a very tight bolt. Good for regular stuff and wheels. I bought it because I already had the charger and two other tools. But I would not hesitate trying out the Earthquake based upon recent results.

Fokker 10-03-2017 12:29 PM

I got this one for speeding up tire swaps at events. Three settings, illuminated, and is pretty light weight. The battery holds a charge for a very long time; I haven't charged it in months and the battery is only down one bar (battery has a charge indicator). When my tires were mounted not too long ago, the shop used a pneumatic impact to put the wheels on. Needless to say, the lug nuts were on there tight and this tool popped them off instantly.

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 3-Speed Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Impact Wrench Kit-P1830 - The Home Depot

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24362796)
AVE (youtube channel) did a teardown of a new Earthquake XT from HF just the other day. Surprisingly well built inside .. very surprisingly well built. He had already tested the air version of it and was only mildly impressed and the Hercules they sell was built like a toy inside. But the XT cordless was impressive.

He then tested it by torquing a bolt as high as that bolt would withstand (about 500 ft lbs) with a test setup and then tried breaking it loose with the XT. It didnt even flinch, so it at least took a bolt off with that much tq holding it together. I was surprised as well.

I have a Rigid that does fine unless it is a very tight bolt. Good for regular stuff and wheels. I bought it because I already had the charger and two other tools. But I would not hesitate trying out the Earthquake based upon recent results.

I missed that video. Thank you.

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker (Post 24362805)
I got this one for speeding up tire swaps at events. Three settings, illuminated, and is pretty light weight. The battery holds a charge for a very long time; I haven't charged it in months and the battery is only down one bar (battery has a charge indicator). When my tires were mounted not too long ago, the shop used a pneumatic impact to put the wheels on. Needless to say, the lug nuts were on there tight and this tool popped them off instantly.

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 3-Speed Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Impact Wrench Kit-P1830 - The Home Depot

Good price point. Interesting that it is not sold in the stores.

Fokker 10-03-2017 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24362824)
Good price point. Interesting that it is not sold in the stores.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The model that they keep on the shelves is really not the one to buy given that they are the same price and the one on the shelves doesn't have the speed control and produces 100 lb/ft less torque.

Legal Bill 10-03-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks for that information.

dwb993 10-03-2017 02:08 PM

Definitely thanks! I have the less powerful model, along with the wrench. But I also have 2 of the 4ah batteries and charger. I was able to track down this link if you only need the tool:

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless 3-Speed Impact Wrench (Tool-Only)-P261 - The Home Depot

hecash 10-03-2017 02:57 PM

I have an old 18volt Milwaukee. It is 15 years old. One of the four batteries that I now have is an original. It has more than sufficient power to lift my car using the OEM scissor jack (I had a ½" drive socket welded onto the drive end.). I've used it hundreds of times to pull wheels for brake pad change and to lift the car at the race track. It is an ANIMAL!

Lovetodrive2000 10-03-2017 03:23 PM

Love my DeWalt DW059 18v cordless....

Guess my Superman strength must be waning.... need this to break some bolts free (suspension!)....

Chuck S 10-04-2017 03:13 AM

I have a DeWalt 20v 1/2" battery powered wrench. Came with a pair of batteries. Main purpose these days is tire changes but the last time I used it for something else was for a squirrel nesting box I fixed to a tree with a long lag bolt.

This wrench would NOT loosen the lug nuts on my travel trailer last weekend when I fitted 5 new tires on wheels (including the spare). Had to crack the nuts with a good ole X-lug wrench and then power them off and then back on with the impact wrench.

Most of my "exotic" power tools are factory reconditioned at much lower than retail but I don't think this is.

-- Chuck

windhund116 10-04-2017 04:59 AM

Bought this one several years ago. Worth its weight in gold... and its heavy. :)

Battery is interchangeable with all other M18 Milwaukee tools.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...9ba7a0b8a1.jpg

BTW... the deep socket set I use.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...psskh1wdnu.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...psmlnsoex8.jpg

Conedodger 10-04-2017 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker (Post 24362805)

I've had the same one for about a year now and am very happy with it. I have other Ryobi tools, so I have multiple batteries and chargers. I really like the lithium batteries. They hold their charge for weeks and charge in 15-20 minutes. Watch for a sale price. I paid about $130 for my kit with the battery and charger.

I had a HF and later a Good Year branded cordless impact in the past. Very slow to charge and the Ni-Cad batteries only lasted a year or two.

Conedodger 10-04-2017 05:08 AM

Keep an eye on this link:

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Impact Wrench Kit-P1890 - The Home Depot

Looter 10-04-2017 06:36 AM

Very impressive .....

https://t.harborfreight.com/20v-max-...kit-63537.html

dlq04 10-04-2017 06:46 AM

I have probably 30' or more of compressor hose so I've never had any reason to buy a cordless impact wrench.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24363133)
I have probably 30' or more of compressor hose so I've never had any reason to buy a cordless impact wrench.

Dave, this "need" arose when I bought a used trailer for my 18 foot boat last week. It was a pretty good deal, but as with all things that spend time in the saltwater, it needed some stuff. Rather than take it down the Cape, I brought it to my house in Canton where I am better equipped to deal with old hardware and repairs. I removed the old broken and worn parts and ordered some new parts for it which I hope to receive this week. In addition to parts replacement, all of the rollers on the trailer will have to be adjusted to fit my boat. In anticipation of this, I loosened up all the roller bolts at home with the air impact gun. For all of the bolts and shackles, I removed the nuts completely and used thread chasers to sharpen up the nuts and bolts to make sure I could remove them easily next month when I go to haul the boat.

While doing this work, it occurred to me that it would be very nice to have a 1/2 inch impact wrench when I actually do the haul out, so that I can adjust the rollers right at the ramp before we haul it to my Cape house. I think it is very likely that the boat will not be sitting securely enough to just drive it home and adjust it later in the driveway. I don't want to buy another compressor and air gun for the Cape, and a compressor wouldn't help me at the ramp anyway.

I concluded it would be nice to have a cordless for the Cape and on the road. I took out my old HF cheapo unit and thought it would be my easy, no cost solution. But I found it to be sorely lacking, perhaps due to inferior construction, perhaps due to battery age. So I decided to look into a new one. I researched the latest and greatest cordless impact guns on line and came away impressed with the performance and battery life. They seem far superior to what they were 14 years ago. But I'm cheap and I hate to buy "the wrong one" so I'm trying to back-up the online reviews with real world experience from folks here who have actually used them over a period of time, and not just for 30 minutes after they opened the box.

And that turned out to be longer than I thought.

dlq04 10-04-2017 08:50 AM

Bill, since it sounds more like a one-time need, you might look into renting one for a day or two rather than spending $250 or whatever.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=windhund116;24363070]Bought this one several years ago. Worth its weight in gold... and its heavy. :)

/QUOTE]

That's the one to get, from everything I read.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24363217)
Bill, since it sounds more like a one-time need, you might look into renting one for a day or two rather than spending $250 or whatever.

Well, there is certainly a defined need for one day. But I've done a lot of projects down the Cape with ratchets that would have gone a heck of lot faster with a cordless impact. But yeah, $250 seems a bit steep.

engifineer 10-04-2017 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger (Post 24363073)
I've had the same one for about a year now and am very happy with it. I have other Ryobi tools, so I have multiple batteries and chargers. I really like the lithium batteries. They hold their charge for weeks and charge in 15-20 minutes. Watch for a sale price. I paid about $130 for my kit with the battery and charger.

I had a HF and later a Good Year branded cordless impact in the past. Very slow to charge and the Ni-Cad batteries only lasted a year or two.

The new HF and others all pretty much use LiOn batteries nowadays. The Milwaukee will out tq all of the cordless ones, but from the tests, that new HF is pretty close and from the teardown video it is built to last quite a while. If I did not already have my Rigid I would try the HF for the price.

engifineer 10-04-2017 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24363133)

Me too, but LOVE my cordless. Nice not to have to drag hose around and when I am working outside or away from home it is perfect. I was surprised at how little I use my air powered one now, even when right by the compressor.

JoePhotographer 10-04-2017 09:49 AM

This is what I bought

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-To...ase/1000061645
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...372f035809.jpg

Conedodger 10-04-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24363245)
Me too, but LOVE my cordless. Nice not to have to drag hose around and when I am working outside or away from home it is perfect. I was surprised at how little I use my air powered one now, even when right by the compressor.

:iagree: The cordless sits on my work bench in the garage, always ready to go. Faster/easier/quieter than firing up the compressor, oiling the air impact, and dragging the stupid hose around.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 11:52 AM

There is some sort of Milwaukee service center on my way home. I may stop in and see if they sell anything.

engifineer 10-04-2017 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger (Post 24363252)
:iagree: The cordless sits on my work bench in the garage, always ready to go. Faster/easier/quieter than firing up the compressor, oiling the air impact, and dragging the stupid hose around.

AND rolling the stupid hose back up after ... which reminds me .. I really need to get a ceiling mounted hose reel :P I have put that off for way too many years and hate unrolling/rolling up hose every time.

I wish they made these in 18V versions with compact batteries of some sort. I do use my compressor on jobs where I use my air ratchet a lot. And that is a handy tool to have. I just feel the 12V with compact battery may not have enough oomph.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 12:39 PM

The service center does not sell to the public. Oh well.

engifineer 10-04-2017 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24363329)
The service center does not sell to the public. Oh well.

Maybe see if there is an independent tool service company around you or check with rental places. Some of those sell refurbished or used equipment cheap.

boltonblue 10-04-2017 02:13 PM

I've certainly had the hots for the snap-on impact wrench after your "brake service" event years ago.
One of the guys from NH brought his and I was smitten. Not quite enough to part with the cash but would love one.
and yes I know it's stupid expensive but I already said I didn't buy one.
Of course like Dave, I got this big ol' air tank and lots of hose. Hard to get that expense justification by the CFO.

Legal Bill 10-04-2017 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24363360)
I've certainly had the hots for the snap-on impact wrench after your "brake service" event years ago.
One of the guys from NH brought his and I was smitten. Not quite enough to part with the cash but would love one.
and yes I know it's stupid expensive but I already said I didn't buy one.
Of course like Dave, I got this big ol' air tank and lots of hose. Hard to get that expense justification by the CFO.

HF says their Earthquake XT actually compares well against the Snap-on. Look at some of the videos. They were able to torque a trailer hitch nut to over 500 foot pounds.

JoePhotographer 10-05-2017 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24363428)
HF says their Earthquake XT actually compares well against the Snap-on. Look at some of the videos. They were able to torque a trailer hitch nut to over 500 foot pounds.

Speaking of which... what is the recommend torque for OEM wheels?

jukngene 10-05-2017 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer (Post 24363568)
Speaking of which... what is the recommend torque for OEM wheels?

80 foot pounds.

Legal Bill 10-05-2017 05:35 AM

These people sell reconditioned stuff, but the warranty is on the short side...

https://www.tylertool.com/factory-re...efault,pd.html

elmmx5 10-05-2017 11:12 AM

I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench, and since doing so, I almost never break out the 1/2" air impact while working in the garage. If you'd like to borrow mine when you need it for for your boat, you're more than welcome to so you can give it a test run to determine whether it's something you'd like to invest in.

engifineer 10-05-2017 11:25 AM

Snap on is great for longevity and warranty. For the home DIY guy though I have a hard time thinking the price is worth it. There are cheaper brands that can compete with the tq rating and still have warranties, and chances are they will hold up to what most of us will throw at them for the long haul. Hell, my cheapo CH impact that came free with a compressor has lasted 8 years so far with no issues. If I made a living with those tools, then I would likely buy up ... but still maybe no Snap On. There are very good brands that are still not as high priced as them. They make wonderful tools, but you really are paying a LOT for the name on the side.

hecash 10-05-2017 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24363819)
Snap on is great for longevity and warranty. For the home DIY guy though I have a hard time thinking the price is worth it.

So, true. If I had not been doing 25+ track days a year back when I bought mine just as the big Milwaukee was introduced, I would not have paid the $350 for it.

FWIW, all of the Harbor Freight tools that I've bought have met or exceeded the intended need. I even had one warranty exchange that went as smooth as silk.

DC5Daniel 10-05-2017 04:56 PM

[quote=Legal Bill]

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24363070)
Bought this one several years ago. Worth its weight in gold... and its heavy. :)

/QUOTE]

That's the one to get, from everything I read.

Yes, the Milwaukee is a beast. I stick with my MG725 air gun, but a friend I used to work with had the Milwaukee and I used it at the shop quite often.

Legal Bill 10-05-2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by elmmx5 (Post 24363813)
I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench, and since doing so, I almost never break out the 1/2" air impact while working in the garage. If you'd like to borrow mine when you need it for for your boat, you're more than welcome to so you can give it a test run to determine whether it's something you'd like to invest in.

Thanks Eric! I'll happily take you up on that offer!

lookstoomuch 10-06-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24363035)
I have a DeWalt 20v 1/2" battery powered wrench. Came with a pair of batteries. Main purpose these days is tire changes but the last time I used it for something else was for a squirrel nesting box I fixed to a tree with a long lag bolt.

This wrench would NOT loosen the lug nuts on my travel trailer last weekend when I fitted 5 new tires on wheels (including the spare). Had to crack the nuts with a good ole X-lug wrench and then power them off and then back on with the impact wrench.

Most of my "exotic" power tools are factory reconditioned at much lower than retail but I don't think this is.

-- Chuck

FWIW I have a Dewalt 18v I've had for a few years and was happy with it at first but now I'm sorely disappointed. Recently bought a new battery for it to see if that was the problem but sadly no....can't even get lug nuts off some times. Now eyeing the HF or reconditioned Milwaukee thanks to this thread.

lookstoomuch 10-06-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24363593)
These people sell reconditioned stuff, but the warranty is on the short side...

https://www.tylertool.com/factory-re...efault,pd.html

Thanks for the link. I was about to bite on that one then I looked at the upgraded "FUEL" version on the same site and saw it had 20% off with a valid accessory. I added an $11 saw blade and the total came to $352 shipped for a brand new one. So I bought it. Happy Birthday to me.

Legal Bill 10-06-2017 02:25 PM

Now I see the non-Fuel version with one battery for $199!!!

daverx7 10-07-2017 04:41 AM

While at a national match tour, I snapped an axle in 2, and man did I wish I had all the right tools with me. I then threw my back out again, and was out for a month of racing. That's when I decided that I wasn't 18 any more, and to get all the necessary tools to make life easier and enjoy the events more. With that being said, I rolled the dice on the new HF Earthquake XT 1/2" and an 80lb TQ stick. Man, I cannot believe I've waited this long to simplify my wheel swap routine, and now I have something that would assist in doing an axle swap the next time I twist one in 2.

It's too early to say how durable the cordless impact wrench is, but so far I love it!

Great thread!

-Dave
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...c93fe8d14f.jpg

dlq04 10-07-2017 06:50 AM

Daverx7 - awesome looking ride

Legal Bill 10-10-2017 08:18 AM

I found a local shop that makes up kits and sells them at a pretty good discount. Should I go for the 1100 ft lb gun or the 400? $100 price difference. I've never needed to torque anything to 400 ft lbs so I don't know why I'd need 1100, except to break things. The 1100 also comes with an extra battery and that is worth something right there. Your thoughts?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tl...317278318.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tl...330839202.html

lookstoomuch 10-10-2017 08:24 AM

I went with the big one...reason being is my Dewalt was rated at 300 ft/lb new and now it sometimes struggles getting off a lug nut torqued to 90 ft/lb.

SheDrivesIt 10-10-2017 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24365756)
I've never needed to torque anything to 400 ft lbs so I don't know why I'd need 1100, except to break things. The 1100 also comes with an extra battery and that is worth something right there. Your thoughts?

One does not typically tighten things with an impact wrench. One loosens parts with an impact wrench.

windhund116 10-10-2017 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt (Post 24365763)
One does not typically tighten things with an impact wrench. One loosens parts with an impact wrench.

Yes! It's why ppl (even AAA) have issues replacing flat tires. Someone put the wheel on with an impact wrench and not a torque wrench. :(

Scooterboy 10-10-2017 09:05 AM

Over the years that I worked I have found that more damage is done with an improperly used impact then with breaker bars and torque wrenches. I only use my impact when I am replacing the fasteners.

Fokker 10-10-2017 09:05 AM

Too many people hammer them on with torque guns (many without even using torque sticks). I always used a torque wrench for final tightening; I have a 3/4" unit from doing the axle nuts and that makes 80 lb-ft child's play.

Legal Bill 10-10-2017 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch (Post 24365762)
I went with the big one...reason being is my Dewalt was rated at 300 ft/lb new and now it sometimes struggles getting off a lug nut torqued to 90 ft/lb.

My Harbor Freight cheapie could no longer spin off ANYTHING. The battery seemed to be holding a charge fine. So I took the gun apart the other night and found that the "bearings" inside were about as rudimentary as you could imagine. Pretty much BBs trapped in a pot metal ring. It looked like something one step down from the bearings you would find in the wheels of a Huffy bicycle. Sort of like the "bearings" you'd find on a chair caster. The pot metal ring on both the inner and outer bearings were smashed and so the unit could not really spin any longer. My guess is that the nature of these things can result in some internal damage to the bearings and create drag the reduces the available torque. Another good reason to buy a well made unit.

Legal Bill 10-10-2017 11:02 AM

That's a very good point and I guess my thought was a bit incomplete. What I was trying to convey was that nothing I own is ever tightened to even 400 foot pounds, let alone 1,000. But as others have pointed out, someone else may over-tighten something, or corrosion may greatly increase the force needed to remove a fastener.

I do use the air wrench to tighten hardware now. Mine has three settings and I find the lowest works well to pre-tighten smaller fasteners, while the middle setting is good to pre-tighten lug nuts. I have only used the highest setting to tighten by accident.

Lovetodrive2000 10-10-2017 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24365862)
That's a very good point and I guess my thought was a bit incomplete. What I was trying to convey was that nothing I own is ever tightened to even 400 foot pounds, let alone 1,000. But as others have pointed out, someone else may over-tighten something, or corrosion may greatly increase the force needed to remove a fastener.

I do use the air wrench to tighten hardware now. Mine has three settings and I find the lowest works well to pre-tighten smaller fasteners, while the middle setting is good to pre-tighten lug nuts. I have only used the highest setting to tighten by accident.

Even the axle nut torque spec is 180... but I think Billman does 220 ft lbs....

Is the 400 and 1,000 the ft lbs for loosening?

Fokker 10-10-2017 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24365973)
Even the axle nut torque spec is 180... but I think Billman does 220 ft lbs....

Is the 400 and 1,000 the ft lbs for loosening?

The Billman method should put you in the realm of 300 ft-lbs. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post21420152
I actually managed to deform a 3/4" breaker bar getting one off after this method.

dlq04 10-10-2017 05:10 PM

I agree with those recommending a torque wrench to insure its done right. But the highest torque I've ever needed is 140 pounds for the hub bearing retaining Octagon nut on rear axle of the MG.

elmmx5 10-11-2017 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24365756)
I found a local shop that makes up kits and sells them at a pretty good discount. Should I go for the 1100 ft lb gun or the 400? $100 price difference. I've never needed to torque anything to 400 ft lbs so I don't know why I'd need 1100, except to break things. The 1100 also comes with an extra battery and that is worth something right there. Your thoughts?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tl...317278318.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tl...330839202.html

I went with the more powerful gun and I'd recommend the same for others. One thing to consider is those torque numbers don't really apply to reality. The marketing numbers you see are based on using a brand new, giant-sized nut and bolt combo that has been freshly greased for each test to maximize results. In regular use, I'd say that my Milwaukee impact gun is about as powerful as my newer air impact gun. Try to think in comparative terms rather than trying to apply these marketing figures to real life situations.

Legal Bill 10-11-2017 07:35 AM

Thanks Eric. Good to have the real world experience.

bluesaint 10-11-2017 01:26 PM

I just bought and love this slim profile, but still offers true 210lb tq forward and reward (with auto-stop). It's a brushless motor, so it's great for battery life!

Makita 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless XPT 3-Speed 1/2 in. Impact Wrench (Tool Only)-XWT11Z - The Home Depot

Again, it's one of the slimmest one's out there so easy to carry and get in tough squeeze spots

Conedodger 12-05-2017 05:36 AM

Home Depot and Ryobi have the $129 deal going again. I use mine almost weekly and love it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...1890/206736695

manystyles 12-05-2017 09:28 AM

I just purchased a refurb Milwaukee 1/2 M18 Fuel One Key compact impact. Keep your eyes open on CPO's website and ebay store for the best deals.

Takes off lug nuts without any effort and made quick work of those pesky roll bar end link nuts. Probably invest in a few more M18/12 tools in the future.

Billman250 01-15-2018 06:06 AM

Milwaukee has a new 1/2” impact gun in the M18 lineup.

It has 1000 ft-lbs tightening, and 1400 ft-lbs loosening. It can easily shear the end of an axle clean off in the wrong hands.

It also has an “electronic gearbox” with a 100 ft-lb setting, perfect for tightening aftermarket tuner lugs on the S2000 (not oem acorns)

A serious gun for heavy equipment repair.

boltonblue 01-15-2018 04:02 PM

Billman, have you tried it on the infamous rear bearing repair?

Billman250 01-16-2018 05:15 AM

Yes, there is no axle nut out there that cannot be removed with this gun (or a subframe bolt) I use the 100 ft-lb setting (1/10 of power) for wheel install on the Ridgeline and Volks on the S2000.

I warn this gun will shear a subframe bolt off if you are not tool savoy. Start low and work your way up.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, cordless impacts were a gimmick. The battery technology has advanced so far, air guns are now the underdog.

I have used my 20V Ingersol-Rand (leader in impact air guns) for everything in the shop. Haven’t touched an air gun in likely 6 years.

Legal Bill 01-16-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250 (Post 24407492)
Yes, there is no axle nut out there that cannot be removed with this gun (or a subframe bolt) I use the 100 ft-lb setting (1/10 of power) for wheel install on the Ridgeline and Volks on the S2000.

I warn this gun will shear a subframe bolt off if you are not tool savoy. Start low and work your way up.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, cordless impacts were a gimmick. The battery technology has advanced so far, air guns are now the underdog.

I have used my 20V Ingersol-Rand (leader in impact air guns) for everything in the shop. Haven’t touched an air gun in likely 6 years.

Wow. Thanks Bill. I appreciate the insights of a professional.

rmerchant3 01-16-2018 08:03 AM

They are pricey, but honestly the new Milwaukee brushless impacts are the way to go. I am a tech for a living and I use the mid torque gun and the high torque gun. For everyday use, the mid torque fits the bill. The high torque has extreme power, but isn't much use unless you have a lot of room for a big tool. It is stronger than anyone's 1/2" air impact in the shop though :)

windhund116 01-16-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250 (Post 24407492)

Billman, I have the Milwaukee Model 2663-20. Worth it's weight in gold. Weight is heavy. Is this new Milwaukee even heavier?

Thanks! :thumbup:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...psieqylcxf.jpg

ralper 01-18-2018 06:09 PM

i bought this for Adam for the holidays. He plans to use it the next time he terrorizes junk yards for parts for his car and his friends car.
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...xEL/s-l200.jpg

boltonblue 01-18-2018 07:36 PM

Gee most of our yards now you tell them what you want and they bring you the part.
the good old days of wandering the lot are long gone.

ralper 01-18-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24408858)
Gee most of our yards now you tell them what you want and they bring you the part.

Actually Adam has found a few in Ohio that let them wander through the yard and take the parts off of the wrecked cars. The yard gives them a wheelbarrow and they bring their own tools. Now that he has the impact wrench, I feel sorry for the wrecked cars.

He bought himself a 2000 Toyota 4Runner and so far he'd gotten a locking rear diff from a junkyard and installed it with the help of a few friends. He goes off-roading with it. He's been terrorizing junkyards for a few years now.

dlq04 01-19-2018 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24408858)

Not in Michigan

boltonblue 08-12-2018 07:31 AM

I have to thank Bill for starting this thread back in January.

I was swapping over the tires on y GL Friday night and for reasons unknown ( lots of speculation ) the front lug bolts were brutal.
My Craftsman air wrench just sat there making lots of noise but no motion. Usually it's pretty good.
Eventually I had to resort to a breaker bar with 4.5 foot extender and even with that it took most of what i had to get them off.
So I'm guessing 700-800 ft-lbs to get them free. They are scheduled for replacement as soon as I get some new ones.
I think I see a Milwaukee 2863 in my future.
It's tax free weekend and home despot has it on sale with the battery and charger included.

My question is, has anyone got any experience with torque sticks?
My thought is to spin on with the 65 ft-lb stick and then hand torque the remainder.

Scooterboy 08-12-2018 11:15 AM

I use my Milwaukee 2453-20 impact driver to run the lug nuts down then finish with a calibrated torque wrench. Impacts are nothing more than a device for breaking things in the hands of the untrained.

boltonblue 09-08-2018 02:37 PM

I have to say I love it. I got the 2863. After fighting with rusty bolts on the GL I broke down and ordered it.
I had two that didn't want to move but I was reluctant to turn the torque all the way up.
I think I need to order the rubber boot that goes around it.

boltonblue 11-10-2018 01:21 PM

I learned something new this afternoon.
I had to swap the snows onto the GL and had a 6 inch extension between the gun and the socket.
The nuts just wouldn't loosen :scratch:
Then I got the brilliant idea of removing the extender and zip instantly the lug bolts came right off.
The slop between the extender and the socket was absorbing all of the impact. Almost none of it was making it to the nuts.
Live and learn. and yes it was an extender designed for use with power tools.

Conedodger 11-22-2018 05:20 AM

If you haven't bought a cordless impact yet, here is a Black Friday deal to jump on! Best price I've ever seen on this. Love mine!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...kgybyzpzSzEUU0