S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Craftsman Tools

Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default Craftsman Tools

Craftsman Tools

For as long as I can remember I’ve used Craftsman tools. They are the tools my father used. They are the tools my grandfather, the electrician, used. Craftsman tools have always been in the tool box.

Craftsman Tools first appeared at Sears in 1927 when they bought the name from the Marion-Craftsman Tool Company for $500. Early on Sears updated the quality and chrome plated the tools. Over the years Sears experimented with various levels of quality, Craftsman, Craftsman Professional and Craftsman Industrial. Sears also offered a lifetime, unconditional guarantee on Craftsman tools. If any Craftsman tool, for any reason, proved unsatisfactory, Sears would replace it no questions asked.

Craftsman tools were not the highest quality tools in the market, but they were good enough for the average homeowner or driveway/backyard mechanic. Certainly, for any of us who tinkered with cars or maintained a home, they were perfect.

My father helped me buy my first Craftsman socket set in 1968. I couldn’t afford it by myself but I needed it to maintain my inherited 1961 Chevy Impala. It was a bare bones socket set with a ½ inch drive, a 3/8 inch drive and a set of SAE sockets. A few years later I had to buy metric sockets and wrenches to work on my motorcycle and then my MGB. I still have them, and they look and work just as good today as they did when new.

For some reason Craftsman tools always felt good in my hands, well balanced and precise. I’d always wipe them down with an old rag after use and they still look good today. I’ve used Home Depot’s Husky tools and Lowe’s Kobalt tools, and they’re probably just as good, but for some strange reason they never felt as good in my hands as my trusty, reliable Craftsman tools.

As you can imagine I was very unhappy when I heard that Sears was selling the Craftsman brand. How would I replace a tool if I broke or lost one. How would I be able to buy the tool sets that I wanted to buy for my sons so that they could know the joys of owning Craftsman tools. Where could I spend hours walking through the aisles of Sears, looking at the Craftsman tools and dreaming of all of the projects I’d do if I ever found the time. Sure, I have plenty of tools between those that I’ve bought over the years and those that I inherited from my father and grandfather, but losing Craftsman was like losing an old friend.

The other day I needed some part for a plumbing repair around the house. As the sliding door at Lowe’s opened I was greeted by a big sign that said “Craftsman is here”. A warm feeling and a big smile came to me. My old friend was back. They had Craftsman tool cases and chests but not yet the hand tools. They would be out soon. I’ve heard that Stanley Toolworks bought the brand and intends to produce them. I hope they maintain the quality and feel of the original Craftsman tools. I can’t wait to spend a few hours walking thought the aisles of Craftsman tools at Lowe’s and thinking about all the tools I’ll need to do all the projects I want to do if I ever get the time. Welcome back old friend.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

When my Dad passed away in March 2016, I inherited his Craftsman tool sets (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers etc). To me, there is a tactile feel to them that is totally different than other tool sets and brands.
Craftsman tools are perfect for 95% of homeowners/shade tree mechanics use. Good to see the Craftsman signs at Lowe's.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:09 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

For some historical perspective...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vi...-tools-183590/
Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

I'll bet the "Craftsman" brand ls licensed. Not a manufacturer. Think of Coleman, you know, the camping equipment company. They're an office in a strip mall where clerks handle the licensing of the brand name. I expect Craftsman is very similar.

How well the current Craftsman hold up remains a question. I have several socket sets and screw drivers that date back to the 1960s and function perfectly as of yesterday.

Back in the day there was a small Craftsman ratchet socket wrench in the nuclear weapons tool kit we had for our 155mm SP howitzers. Yes, we had tactical nuc capability. Fixed socket and it only turned one way. Don't recall if it was a little torque wrench but we all commented on it being a Craftsman tool. This was an "accountable" tool and subject to periodic inventory.

-- Chuck
Old 07-19-2018, 05:01 AM

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Many of the Craftsman tools have fallen off in quality of late. The ratchets break and the sockets snap much easier than in the past and don't even consider their power tools. I stopped being them for work because of this.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also grew up using Craftsman tools and I have collection of them that are still special to me. Unfortunately, since they outsourced their manufacturing offshore a few years ago, I really can’t justify buying the brand over most others at this time.

Currently… when I buy a new tool, my first step is to determine how often I’ll use it and how much I’ll depend on it to be reliable. If it’s a ratchet or a screwdriver set, I’m probably going to be looking at something that is supposedly superior to the offshore brands. Lately, I’ve been looking toward German manufacturers to fill that gap, in rare cases I might spend an even bigger premium and get a tool truck brand.

For everything else, I do a little research on the tool online and buy whatever I’ve determined is the best value. Sometimes this is still Craftsman, sometimes it’s a Husky or even Tekton.

That said, I still have a certain nostalgia toward my craftsman tools. If a ratchet breaks, I’ll probably seek out a rebuild kit to save my American made Craftsman tool over exchanging it for a newer one, but as far as their new stuff goes, they are no longer my go-to brand.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

I understand the sentiment towards Craftsman tools. But there are other brands out there which are equal or better. And as stated Craftsman tools are not like their tools of old. I own some Craftsman tools so but they were not handed down. My Dad handed down his Carptenter tools to me and yes they are sentimental.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

All of my Craftsman tools were made in good old USA. They are last-Century old.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Craftsman fallen off. I am with Scoots completely on power tools, and haven't bought a power tool from Sears in probably 20 years. Hand tools; Weller, Channel Lock, Irwin, Estwing, DeWalt, Klein….there are a number of great manufacturers that are making products that now exceed the quality of the current Craftsman tool. If you want to know the "best at the moment" tools, go to a plumbing supply house, electrical supply, lumber yard, or any place where professionals go. The days of Craftsman occupying a place at the "pro" table passed some time back.
But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Now power tools......DeWalt, Delta, Laguna, Rikon, Jet, Hitachi, Makita....and many others get my attention.

While I understand the nostalgic feeling to our past, things have changed and Craftsman and Kenmore and Sears are not at all what they once were. Sorry to be a contrarian.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
All of my Craftsman tools were made in good old USA. They are last-Century old.
How did you get those to stick to the wall?

Quick Reply: Craftsman Tools