S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dash Cams

Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Dash Cams

After driving to and from Long Island, NY twice in the last month to visit my Mother. I have come to the conclusion that it is time to buy a dash cam. On both trips, I had people stop that missed their exit to make 80*+ turns across traffic to take an exit ramp. A few weeks ago it was a guy in a van that STOPPED in the left hand lane of the Grand Central Parkway in NY to then drive across three lanes of traffic to the exit. WTF? If I had looked down to change the radio station a second before that happened I may very well have been involved in an accident. The two cars in front of me headed for the left shoulder to avoid him. I instinctively looked into my rear view mirror to make certain that the person behind me was going to stop in time.

Then, today on my way home I had similar experience. A MB Sprinter Van missed the exit to the NJ TP and drove across the median strip in front of me. The good news was that there was no one next to me in the right hand lane. But I still had to STAND on the binders to slow down to avoid the car in the right hand lane that was going slower than I was.

Those two experiences have convinced me that it is time to get a dash cam.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

I use a Blackvue. I have it tucked up behind the rearview mirror so it doesn't obstruct my view of the road. It work very well.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:16 AM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I've often thought "dash" cams should have 3 or 4 views recorded on the same time base.
maybe I should bring one to market.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I use a Blackvue. I have it tucked up behind the rearview mirror so it doesn't obstruct my view of the road. It work very well.
Which model?

Seems like they range from $30 to $400 or so.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Check out dashcamtalk.com for reviews.

I use the GT680W, I bought this a couple of years ago from Foxoffer. They still sell this one but there are probably newer/better stuff out. I really like the dual channel Blackvue's but think they're a little overpriced and some of the older stuff had overheating problems.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I've often thought "dash" cams should have 3 or 4 views recorded on the same time base.
maybe I should bring one to market.
I admire those with an avant-garde solution – knowing that I couldn’t possibly do it. The problem…it has been done before. With the some of following:
  • High dynamic range exposures.
  • Ultra wide fields of view.
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • PC compatible downloads.
  • Programmable and auto-sensing start and stop modes.
  • GPS coordinates.
  • Small and unobtrusive sizes.
  • Etc, etc.
Good luck if you decide to do so.

gary

Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I also really need to get one in my main cars. With the low prices there is no reason not to these days. I will check out the links and info here as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

We have OJOCAMS in two cars and a Garmin 20 in one other. The Garmin NUVICAM also has a built in camera as well as being a GPS. Garmin is coming out with a couple of new ones in the next month or so. They all work great and the video quality just about matches the GOPRO and VIRB
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed

I heard from an insurance employee - they had someone call to complain their insured customer had rear ended a car.

The insurance employee said the other guy said he was rear ended.

Then the insurance employee told the they guy - their customer had a dash cam.

Turns out the only thing the insured was guilty of - was not driving fast enough for the guy - who at the time was behind.

basically road rage - he is upset and speeds in front of the insured's car. Slams on his brakes - all caught on the dash cam

I'm interested in recommendations for dash cams also
Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm in for one,too.
Group buy...
What's the best quality/price.???

Quick Reply: Dash Cams