S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dean-isms

Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Default Dean-isms

Did a search on Dean's posts. I recommend it to anyone with some free time. You may find that the screen may get a little hard to read. Here are a few samples:

“’Leashes’ for kids (Did you ever use one?)” thread:
Dean: “I never used one, but my mother used to put my brother on a tether out in the yard. As the eldest, I used to find it quite entertaining to watch him run out of rope. It's a wonder that we didn't all turn out to be serial killers in my family.
Deb: “Well, there is still time….
Dean: “I don't know that I'm motivated enough to take up a third career at this stage of my life.“

In Ray’s “What’s wrong with our society” Dean answered:
“The major thing wrong with societies is that they're composed of people.”

MsPerkey/Deb started the “Dean is engaged! Uh-Oh” thread. One of Dean’s posts:
“We're looking at about a year down the road. She (Rori) and I both want a very, very simple ceremony. And she would like to do the deed on a beach in Maine. Her second choice is on a beach in Key West. I'm good with either one, as long as I'm invited.”

Later in the same thread, above a great pic of Rori:
“I wasn't going to post this for a couple of reasons, but to hell with them. Here is a pic of the lucky woman. I'm all done for when the drugs wear off and she comes to her senses.

Typical Dean: the last page of the thread was all about audio equipment.

When Grannyrod wished Raymo a happy birthday with “And here I thought you were just turning 40 with those boyish looks.”, Dean advised,
“Psssst... Make a note to get your eyes checked as soon as humanly possible.

From “Your favorite TV Show?” thread:
“I watch very little television these days. Most of it seems to be crap of the nonrealistic reality ilk.
In no particular order, and nothing that should be surprising:
House
Dexter
The Big Bang Theory
Any David Attenborough special”

In the Rob/ralper’s “Words that make you feel old” thread, Lainey observed “You don’t have to be old to yell at kids on your property”.
Dean countered:
“No, one doesn't. But the fact remains that an older person is generally allowed to get away with a lot more bad or eccentric behavior than a young person. People tend to overlook what they perceive to be the vagaries inherent in aging. I see that as a resource of a sort. And one that I plan to exploit to full advantage.“

Poll thread: “Fear and anxiety (Worse as you age?)
“Nope. Didn't care then and care even less now.

Starting the “Do I care?” thread, Legal Bill asked, “So if I think about it, but I don't do anything about it, do I care about it?”
Dean, first to reply: “Don't know and don't care to think about it.”
Those two…!

In the “Hobbies” thread, commenting on Dave/dlq04’s remarkable model car collection:
“Amazing that you could stay sober long enough to assemble all of those. I'm doubly impressed.
Very nice work.”

About Scott?
“I can't crawl under my car anymore, either. At least that's what I'm telling everyone.
One of my local S2KI buddies comes to the house and does it for me while I watch. He gets …the pleasure of my company. And I get my car fixed without having to get my hands dirty (unless I fall down)…. “

From “You know you’re retired when”:
“Sending off all my ties, slacks, and dress shirts to Goodwill. Nothing but jeans, sandals, and my ratty Oxford cloth button downs for me. And lots of tattoos, of course.”

Random:
…dinner out would be nice. No chicken, though, I get more than enough of that already. It's a wonder I'm not crapping feathers.

In the “Last Will and Testament” thread:
"I'm also making my wishes known as to any services held. …I want two songs played - 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' - by Pink Floyd. It's important to keep a sense of humor about such things, I think."

Random:
The original plan was for me to stay a month, but Rori didn't want to leave me on my own without adult supervision. I think she's just worried I'd get into the hookers and crack.

From the “Joke of the Day” thread:
My wife was watching a cooking program the other day.
I said, "What you watching that for? You can't cook."
She said, "You watch pron."
Bitch

In the “Post retirement plans” thread, dlq04/Dave wrote “You need to write a book..... with your wit it shouldn't be too difficult and I'll buy the first copy,” to which Dean, with typical humility, responded:
“Thanks, Dave, I'm truly flattered. But being born with a modicum of wit isn't synonymous with possessing a talent for writing, unfortunately. I lack both the talent and the self discipline required. I'm aiming quite a bit lower than that and thinking of taking up fishing, or possibly marine aquaria, again.”

This post from the “You can never go home again” thread shows just how right Dave was about Dean’s way with words:
“…unfortunately the place is nothing like it was when I was a child. I grew up in a very small town on the coast of Maine, which was essentially Mayberry, but with Maine accents. We had a town cop, a town drunk, a town gossip, and a host of rather eccentric characters one usually finds only in a small town. The high school, which also served as the HS for the five surrounding towns, had an entire student population of 236, and everyone in town knew everyone else.
Main Street, like its name suggests, was the main route that ran through the center of town from it's south end to its northern border, along with a sidewalk which paralleled it the entire distance. The entirety of the Main Street of my childhood was lined with hundreds of stately, old Elm trees, which would form something of a comforting leafy tunnel over the street from one end of town to the other during the warm months of summer. The street, incidentally, that my beloved grandfather walked daily for thirty seven years, while faithfully delivering the town's mail,
Most of the townspeople earned their living from what the sea had to grudgingly offer - lobstermen, clam diggers, worm diggers, wooden ship builders, and fishermen.
The lovely Elms have been gone since the early 70s, thanks to the blight of Dutch Elm disease that struck the town, which killed them all. The cast of colorful characters is also long gone, thanks to the ravages of age, disease, and the influx of more "upscale" and far less interesting entrepreneurs, aspiring artists, and aging hippies with more money than sense. Also gone are the corner neighborhood independent grocery stores operated by lifelong members of our little community, having been supplanted by shops catering to the summer tourists' taste for the tacky and useless.
Such as it is with all it's faults my town remains, at least in those sheltering recesses embracing those memories, the only true home and sense of belonging I have ever known. It is to the place held dear by those memories I intend to be returned when the inexorable advance of time inevitably demands it.”

From the “2014 Goals” thread:
Settle a couple of old scores (Never piss off a man who holds a grudge and a terminal illness. Chances are it won't end well.)
Find some constructive things to do with my time, perhaps volunteering to teach a Continuing Ed. Class, or something along those lines.
Spend as much time as possible with my kids, grandkids, mother, and my lovely and extremely patient bride.
Try to keep in mind that things could always be worse, so why be miserable.
Maintain a sense of humor. Attitude is everything.

(Last item: Mission accomplished.)
Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Wow. Thanks for sharing, Mike! That post brings a tear!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be an app for smartphones with Deans inspirations and voice ... much like that of SIRI
Old 04-30-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

This is great. Thanks, Mike!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

That was great. Thanks Mike and thanks Dean!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 2,768 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Thanks for this thread!

Dean had a way with words like no other. He often sent me to Google with some of the words he used.

I loved his sense of humor, his quick wit and his ability to make fun of himself.

and
Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
In Ray’s “What’s wrong with our society” Dean answered:
“The major thing wrong with societies is that they're composed of people.”

Try to keep in mind that things could always be worse, so why be miserable.
Maintain a sense of humor. Attitude is everything.
My favorites!

*sigh* I really enjoyed his posts.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Damn Mike, that was great. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Thank you Mike. That was a great way to remember him.

As for me, my first thought was back to the Nor Easter Meet in 2005 (if I remember correctly) at Mystic, CT. When Dean almost got us thrown out of the aquarium after pontificating about his thoughts on Dolphins.

RIP Dean.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:09 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

From the Clearing the Air thread:

"Oddly enough, I’m far more concerned about the effects of my having this disease on other people, rather than myself. As for me, I’m not sad, angry, fearful, depressed, or even surprised. If I were the superstitious type, I might be more than a little rattled and pissed off. The idea that I might spend all eternity floating on some cloud trapped alongside an insufferable pack of pious, obsequious assholes irritates me to no end. As does the thought I might spend an interminable amount of time in someone’s attic bumping into things, making spooky noises, and being imperiously summoned to hold cryptic conversations with some greedy, delusional, and credulous douchebag on some sleazy, exploitative television program (I’m looking at you, John Edward).

I believe reality is far more mundane. Upon drawing my last breath, I’ll simply return to the very same place I was before I was born – nowhere. And try as I might, I cannot recall feeling the slightest bit put out by having been there.

One bit of trivia concerning IPF. The singer Robert Goulet died of it. Personally, I think after singing one of the most horrid songs with some of the most absurd lyrics ever written – “MacArthur Park” – the prick had it coming."

"4. Abstain from sex for three days. Well, I felt the instructions for this were a bit vague, so I had to ask the nurse for clarification, any sensible person would. So I asked quite seriously, "Ma'am, does this mean just abstaining from sex involving other people?" At first I hear nothing but stunned silence at the other end, then I hear the nurse giggling uncontrollably, but she does manage to regain her composure just enough, to say, "No, this means you, too." In reply, I said, "Thank you very much for your help, and I shall try my utmost to not keep my hands to myself. See you Aug. 16." She said she could hardly wait. "

Quick Reply: Dean-isms