S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dumb Question

Old 12-31-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question

I know this sounds like a dumb question...

But as my S2K is my first true sports car (its precessor was a Prelude so it doesn't count), how does one drive it.

When do you use 6th gear, for example?

What is the optimum gear change RPM under normal driving conditions?

What gear do you cruise around town in?

I find the engine bogs down when accelerating from stationary, and the gearbox is a little notchy...I'm sure its driving technique.

Your experience and advice most welcome.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Leopardsocks,Dec 31 2005, 08:23 PM

Not at all.

But as my S2K is my first true sports car (its precessor was a Prelude so it doesn't count), how does one drive it.

Good question.

Typically for highway cruising; fuel economy.

That's a tough one. Depends on what you you would consider normal. But as a guideline, once you have warmed the engine up (three bars on the temp gauge), 3500-4500 rpm is reasonable. Unless you're in a hurry.

The highest gear for the speed you're running that doesn't lug the engine (< 2000 rpm or so).

I find the engine bogs down when accelerating from stationary, and the gearbox is a little notchy...I'm sure its driving technique.

She'll definitely like a little throttle on take off, nature of the beast. The notchy shifting may be corrected by a fluid change or you may have a clutch problem. How many miles are on your odometer?

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 726 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Leopardsocks,Dec 31 2005, 07:23 PM

6th gear: almost never
around town: 3rd, sometimes 4th
optimum gear change: 5-6 k rpm
Speed limits in town are 25 on residential streets and 35 on larger throughfares and I never see 5th at those times. Usually I cruise in 3rd and occasionally if there's little traffic and I'm cruising at 45, I'll go into 4th
I only use 6th gear if I'm cruising at more than 55 mph (ie on an expressway or main highway where the speed limit is 55 - 65).
On back roads when I'm driving through the mountains, I usually drive in 3rd and 4th.
My car is an 01 and I consulted the manual for recommended shift zones. The manual lists the optimal shift rpms and speeds and when you use those recommended zones, you'll find you absolutely snick through the gears effortlessly. After a while you'll shift so easily it will be almost impossible to feel the shift as you cruise.
Using the above shift patterns, I still get about 25 miles per gallon in the city and on the highway, I easily average 27-30 mpg.
PLEASE REMEMBER this is an incredible car and things happen VERY QUICKLY when you're driving the S. I discovered by almost losing the car that SHE DEMANDS your full attention when you're driving. Until I joined this club I had no real idea what I had when I got the S. I'm very, very thankful I joined the club only a few days after I took possession of the car. You've gotten yourself an incredible driving experience. Godspeed.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I spend most of my time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Those gears are where the fun is. 5th is for the highway and 6th is for long stretches on the highway. Typically, I use 6th when I use cruise control.

I too find that the gearbox is a little notchy, especially in the lower gears (1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, both up and down). As for the optimal shift points, for me its a seat of the pants kind of thing. As you own and drive the car you'll develop a feel for when you have to shift. The difference between this car an most others is that in most other cars you run the risk of shifting at too high a rev point, on this car you run the risk of shifting at too low a rev point. Our little S comes alive on revs.

That may explain why your car boggs when accelerating from a stop. You have to put a few more revs into your start. Don't worry, you'll develop a feel for this very quickly.

To build on something Val said, more than any other car that you've ever owned, when driving this car you have to drive within yourself. Don't push it beyond your limits. It is a great handling car, perhaps the greatest that you will ever own, but it can get ahead of you very quickly. Always drive within yourself. And, take the time to get to know it before you start to push it.

That said, its a great car, enjoy.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that the GM friction-modified tranny oil has really decreased the dreaded notchiness. As Rob said, all the fun is in "middle" gears. Hey Rob, we have cruise control?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE=frank b,Dec 31 2005, 09:52 PM] Hey Rob, we have cruise control?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM

I agree....be the car.

Be careful though it can get away from you very quickly.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I live in the county and drive it rather spirtedly. Lots of twisty's and hills no traffic to speak of. Although you do have to watch for the occasonial deer or turkey. I use 6th mostly on the Interstate. Like Frank said get GM friction modified tranny fluid, works pretty good.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Leopardsocks,Jan 1 2006, 01:23 PM

Not a dumb question at all. Once you find the red start button, it all goes by iteslf ...

I've just returned from a 700 mile round trip to see my brother. Yes, 6th on the highway, usually when you are going fast enough that 6th gear means around 4000rpm. But I shifting down to 3rd to pass slower traffic (well, everyone really) and accelerating up to 100mph.
Around town I rarely get into 4th, and hardly ever reach V-Tec

The best thing I did when I got my car last year was book a session on a local racetrack with a qualified race drive instructor. That gave me the confidence to reach the top end of the rev range, and to know how much I could push the car on corners. While I don't push the car to the same extent on the normal roads, at least I have some appreciation of what reserve I have available when I need it.

Bogging and notching just means you aren't using enough accelerator pedal: the changes are a lot smoother at higher revs, when the car is accelerating hard, or when the engine is properly warm.

Mainly though, just drive the car lots. Mine gets lonely if it's not driven at least 50 miles per day
Old 01-01-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,577 Posts

I pretty much drive my car the way Val does. But she's faster than I am most of the time.

Quick Reply: Dumb Question