S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Electric Blankets

Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 919 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Electric Blankets

Do any of you use an electric blanket?

We have been using one for many many years, but they just don't seem to get as warm as they used to many years ago. Maybe, that is because of more regulations related to safety issues.

We don't seem to have much luck with electric blankets anymore. They just seem to last a very short time. After a few seasons, they just don't seem to work well anymore. And, even when new, they don't even seem to get very hot.

Can anyone recommend a good one?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

We use one, we've had a few and they don't seem to last very long. I do put a light blanket on top of it. Not sure if that helps keep the temperature up. I'd say the blanket is warm enough for us. I'm warm with it on #2, Rick likes #4 on cold nights.

Not sure what brand the blanket is. I'm guessing I bought it through JC Penney or Macy's on line. We've had it a while, it's days could be numbered.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I stopped using them years ago. I prefer an ice cold room with multiple blankets. The +1 thinks otherwise. Guess what we do?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 919 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks, Lainey.

How many settings does yours have, that is, what number is the highest setting?

The last ones that we have had go up to #20, and even on #20, they don't seem to be all that warm. Maybe, we are both just cold-blooded people.

We keep a lightweight blanket on top of ours, too, even though I think that it might supposedly cause overheating or a fire hazard to do so.

I think that the ones that we had many many years ago were a JC Penney, and those seemed to be the best that we ever had. Maybe, we should check JC Penney out again.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Our Beautyrest mattress actually said you shouldn't use it with the pillow top.
it will do bad things to the memory foam i guess.

But I've developed the liking for multiple quilts.
But if it gets really cold I let the dog on the bed....although he sucks at sharing the bed.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I stopped using them years ago. I prefer an ice cold room with multiple blankets. The +1 thinks otherwise. Guess what we do?
Separate rooms already?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Thanks, Lainey.

How many settings does yours have, that is, what number is the highest setting?

The last ones that we have had go up to #20, and even on #20, they don't seem to be all that warm. Maybe, we are both just cold-blooded people.

We keep a lightweight blanket on top of ours, too, even though I think that it might supposedly cause overheating or a fire hazard to do so.

I think that the ones that we had many many years ago were a JC Penney, and those seemed to be the best that we ever had. Maybe, we should check JC Penney out again.
I think 10 is our top number. I like to keep the house cool for sleeping. I call 65-66 cool for sleeping. I don't like big heavy blankets....I think my thermostat is running a bit high for that. I quickly get too warm to sleep.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
You take a full coverage blanket and fold it in HALF doubling up YOUR SIDE of the bed? How did I come up with that so quick you ask? My wife used to sleep and still sometimes does SUPER HOT like I would warm my hands up from a few inches away hot.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

We have not used one in decades. They don't make them like they used to - - - if they did I'd definitely get one.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

We have a Sunbeam blanket from Costco from a year ago. The first one conked out after 3 months but Costco has that 1 year replacement policy. Doesn't look like they currently have anything bigger than a throw right now though.

Quick Reply: Electric Blankets