S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Entertainment costs and subscriptions

Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Entertainment costs and subscriptions

Talking around the lunch table today, it struck me that my "exorbitant" entertainment budget pales in comparrison to some of my colleagues. It may be a generational thing. I have a cable tv subscription that includes most of the premium channels and on-demand as well as Verizon Fios for internet. I have a data connection on my phone, but that is for work and if I didn't need it for work, I'm not sure I would keep it. But that's about all I have. My colleagues all have things like Netflix subscriptions, Sirrius radio, iTunes accounts, Kindles/Nooks, TiVos, and who knows what else. They all cost money. My reaction is, I don't even have enough time to see all the content I currently have access to. Why do i need more? One of my partners says he has it all becuase he doesn't want to fall behind the times like his parents have. I don't know about anyone else, but I ain't buying anything just becuase all the kids have it.

Then, of course, there are all the apps for the smart phone devices. but I guess that is another subject.

So what do you have? Is it all worth it?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't pay for subscriptions to electronic entertainment, unless you count donations to NPR and PBS. I'm not home enough to justify cable or satellite service, but I do pay for subscriptions like symphony concerts, brass bands, and live theater and Broadway shows, along with the occasional movie out or other concert. I also go dancing a lot (see my screen name), but that could also fall under the health and fitness budget/entertainment combo.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Bill, I have Direct tv, dsl, home phone and wife has cell phone. Also have monthly trash service & electric bills. Thats it. I do my own mowing and shovel the snow.
Levi
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I have a Big Ass Fan with a remote in the garage. I have Sirius Radio in two vehicles for long distance road trips, but none on the computer. We often watch Netflix movies with an Apple TV attachment. We use Direct TV, because it works for both Houston and Durango. But if I want to run the TV remote I have to find my own monitor somewhere! I have a Kindle and +1 Chris has an IPad with Wi FI. My kids have lots more, though, and they just say, 'WHATEVER".
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Cable, with "starter digital" no HDTV, no premium channels. We only have one HDTV in the house,in the kitchen, and we didn't want to spring for the extra $10.00/month, the picture is fine. It seems as if no matter how many channels we get there is still nothing on TV. We have Net Flix $8.49/month. I have the iphone and am happy with my purchase. I have lesser data plan on my phone and don't come anywhere near using even that amount. Rick has a Trac Phone.

I do have Kindle and download free books and also borrow ebooks from the library. I have a little net book where some might have an ipad.

So, overall I guess our subscription budget is cheap compared to some, if I could select and pay for only the channels we watch, I'd bet I could cut that cable TV bill in half. I hate paying so much $ to watch TV.

If I had a bigger entertainment budget, I'm sure I could find things to spend it on, but it would not be for any more Cable TV.

PS Granddaughter has the same net book as I do and is now complaining it's too slow. I told her she is trying to make it do too many things. They need Face Book and Message programs and music programs all running at once. She also had a broken screen on an ipod touch and after the repair the camera didn't work. In speaking to her last night, her world as she knew it had ended. She could not take pictures and post them on instagram or Face Book. She was sooooooo worked up about this. These kids are addicted to their "stuff" at an early age.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have DirecTV, Netflix, and :gag: Comcast for Internet. Rori has Sirius-XM in her car, and my MINI came with a yearlong trial to Sirius-XM All Access. Although, I had to pay $250 for the Sirius-XM equipment in the car, the subscription itself was "free".
We also have Roku, but we haven't used it in ages.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a monthly bill for my internet connection and I pay ~$75 a year for a track phone for trips and emergencies. My only vice is a $120 a year subscription to a motorcycle racing web site. I severed my satellite TV connection a few years ago and don't miss it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

I have rabbit ears.
My internet connection is necessary for my business since I do remote support outside normal business hours. Even so, I only have one of the lower/mid levels of cable internet service for which I call and renegotiate the fees every time the "special" deal of the year expires. <$40 /month
I have a Netflix account for streaming and DVDs. <$20 /month
I have one wine club membership to a local winery. $250 /year for wine "shipments," tastings, and the annual pickup party.
I have to have a smart phone with pretty much unlimited everything because of the nature of my work. $100 /month
I don't have kindles, tablets, iPads or other such or any subscriptions.
I have a laptop but again, that's work-related (and it's 4 years old).
Dinner out on my nickel about once a month.
Occasional lunch with a friend.
Including the above mentioned dinners/lunches, my monthly food bill (including misc alcohol) is $300-$400. Yes, you read that right. (how? dreamdinners.com)
My single biggest "entertainment" item is a car payment for the latest play vehicle I picked up which I figure to keep about 2 years when I get sick of dealing with the craziness that is a British sportscar.
Oh... and then there is the cost of premium gas.

My life is boring.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Comcast for Internet, Roku for "entertainment", XM in m car, Sirius in the S2000, iPad, iPhone, and iPod and only the phone has phone access. Everything else is wifi.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts

comcast for internet and cable with 2 DVR's, and Verizon for 3 smart phones, throw in a roku with netflix. $$$$

and then there is golf... is that entertainment?
in a galaxy far far away there used to be skiing as well.

Quick Reply: Entertainment costs and subscriptions