S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ford Thinking Small

Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Ford Thinking Small

For decades American auto makers have tried to ignore small cars, because of the greater profits in large pickups and SUVs. A little late, they are thinking small. I still find it strange that Ford has now abandoned front engine rear wheel drive in all its US passenger autos, except for the Mustang, which has an antiquated solid real axle design. The only front engine real wheel drive vehicles with independent rear suspension are their SUVs.

GM seems to be doing well with its Sky and Soltice roadsters, and Dodge has one on the drawing boards to compete in our segment. The closest thing that Ford has to offer in this segment is the (giant by comparison) Mustang muscle car. It will be interesting to see what Ford comes out with in the next few years to affect a "turnaround".

http://blogs.chron.com/carsandtrucks/2007/...ng_small_1.html
Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 AM

Received 705 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm not very impressed by the appearance of the Solstice and definitely am unimpressed by its lack of power. That Saturn Sky though is really a nice looking car. Someday I'm going to drive one so I can stop turning my head to look at them when they go by. I'll always think Mustangs are nice looking (particularly since they're very inexpensive unless you go for the Cobra or one of the super power packages). For the price they're really a nice little car and I could see myself driving another one someday.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I do think Ford needs to add an IRS to the Mustang. This would not be a difficult feat. The Mustang platform is taken from the Jaguar S Type that was designed to be IRS from day one.

One responder on that blog raised the real issue. Small cars are at the lowest price point and provide the lowest margin. It is difficult for US companies to build and sell small cars that compete with cars built in Korea and soon China and still make a profit. I think you might see more attempts to build US cars off-shore with some sort of negotiations with the US Unions allowing a certain number in exchange for some union demands to benefit the shrinking US autoworker ranks.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope that Ford has success with this. On a side note, I'm downright stunned that the SUV market is still as strong as it is. It's not just because of the price of fuel either. They're just so damned boring to drive. I thought this love affair would have ended much earlier, but I couldn't have been more wrong. If the American car companies give buyers some interesting choices, maybe this addiction to driving huge vehicles will slow down. So Ford wants to make some in-roads into this market, but they want to sell every overpriced oveweight truck that they can for as long as they can.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

You are not suggesting Ford bring back the T-Bird are you? Oh, that's right, they tried that and blew it.

Here's a tip on GM's thinking. Reportedly a mid-engined Corvette is not only on the drawing boards but really moving along within the tubes. Apparently they have a price target that is now within reason for their loyal believers. Also, GM has a strong desire to put together a Vet that could be an out-right 24 hours of LeMans winning machine.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember when Ford and Mazda shared platforms - Mazda 6/Ford Probe? That would be how I say they do a turnaround, go get some help, because if their best strategy is to take a crappy 500 and call it a Taurus as a way to make it better, they clearly have proven they need real help!

If I were in the market for a roadster and the S was not available, I would test drive the Sky Redline (great exterior, bad interior) and the Solstace GXP (bad exterior, great interior) but in the end, this is exactly what I would go for, because I just love the idea of a metal folding top!!! Way to go Mazda!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

^^^ Fresh wax job in that pic? Looks very nice.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 23 2007, 09:13 AM
Remember when Ford and Mazda shared platforms - Mazda 6/Ford Probe? That would be how I say they do a turnaround, go get some help, because if their best strategy is to take a crappy 500 and call it a Taurus as a way to make it better, they clearly have proven they need real help!

If I were in the market for a roadster and the S was not available, I would test drive the Sky Redline (great exterior, bad interior) and the Solstace GXP (bad exterior, great interior) but in the end, this is exactly what I would go for, because I just love the idea of a metal folding top!!! Way to go Mazda!

Now that is a great looking car!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I suppose the Miata is a solid car, but I have never liked the external design. It's just a matter of aesthetics. It is not as strong a design as the S2000, but the sales numbers are convincing. And so is the fun factor. Lucky for Ford, the Mazda brand doesn't need a turnaround -- like the Ford brand does.

Nice pics! But what is that white stuff on the ground?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM

Yes, the new Miata simply sux! They picked the worst design elements of the 1st generation Miata and the RX8. I loved my 2nd Gen Miata.

You aren't missing anything by not driving the Sky/Solstice. They are rattle traps in the making. They aren't all that tight new but give them a year or two and you'll find pieces of them all over the road. Oh wait, that's a common complaint with owners now, the interior keeps falling apart.

Quick Reply: Ford Thinking Small