S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Fraud

Old 04-18-2024, 05:09 AM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Fraud

My wife and I have had a very serious issue. Our bank cards were frauded and we could not use them. We called our bank and contacted the fraud department. I was put on hold for over 15 minutes then disconnected, I made 6 more attempts and all of these calls were disconnected. We then went to our bank and met with the manager. He investigated this fraud and found out that our social security numbers and checking account numbers had also been frauded. There was only one transaction for $10.00 which was credited back to us. So, he placed a call to his fraud dept, and he could barely hear the person he spoke to. He asked him several times to speak louder. No change in volumn. They he asked him to yell into the phone. Didn’t work.He called another number and finally talked to someone who spoke understandable English. She cancelled our bank cards and issued new checks with a different account number. She recommended that we put on a credit freeze from all 3 credit bureaus which I did. We don’t like this bank manager and told him that his fraud dept. is dysfunctional and your conversation with the first person you called is proof of that. I said that this was a nightmare and that it took a visit to you to get this nightmare corrected thus wasting valuable time that our accounts were exposed. Then he said that we should sign up on LifeLock. I said let’s focus on this issue now. He got defensive so I told him that we will no longer be doing business with you as we are moving all of our accounts to another bank. He asked which bank and I told him it’s none of your F——-g business and stormed out.

The following users liked this post:
Kyras (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:28 AM

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,635 Posts

We have had a freeze on our credit for several years now; since one of the many credit breeches. It’s a bit of a PIA but really not a big deal to unfreeze temporarily. I had to unfreeze when I switched cell services.
The freeze would not prevent our credit cards from being compromised but no new accounts can be opened without our knowledge.
Sorry about the poor service. Wells Fargo does not have a good reputation for many reasons.
Kyras (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:47 AM

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Wow, that is awful. I have had to change credit card numbers over the years, but never anything more serious. This is very serious. Since so much of your private info has been compromised. My banks are very reliable and are always right on any fraud. I get notifications of any suspicious activity. I hope you get this mess straightened out soon. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:48 AM

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Wow, sorry you're having this happen, Ray. What a nightmare.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:05 AM

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,538 Posts

I just got a message that my SS# and various other things has been found on the "Dark Web". Thank you AT&T!!!
Old 04-18-2024, 06:20 AM

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

I had a bunch of accounts opened in my name several years ago so we froze our credit. It's not a huge pain, it's easy to unfreeze, just keep notes on how to do it. Your bank sounds awful, have you ever considered a credit union, they seem much easier to work with, ours has been great.
jukngene (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by RobM
I had a bunch of accounts opened in my name several years ago so we froze our credit. It's not a huge pain, it's easy to unfreeze, just keep notes on how to do it. Your bank sounds awful, have you ever considered a credit union, they seem much easier to work with, ours has been great.
Thanks everyone. My daughter is a senior VP at her bank. We will be opening accounts there as soon as we remove all of our accounts from Wells Fargo. My daughter could not believe what we had to go through and said that would never happen at her bank. Her hubby set up all of their security systems. Does anyone use Life Lock. It is not cheap.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
We have had a freeze on our credit for several years now; since one of the many credit breeches. It’s a bit of a PIA but really not a big deal to unfreeze temporarily. I had to unfreeze when I switched cell services.
The freeze would not prevent our credit cards from being compromised but no new accounts can be opened without our knowledge.
Sorry about the poor service. Wells Fargo does not have a good reputation for many reasons.
And now I can see why. How can you trust a bank whose executives pulled off a mini Madoff scan several years ago and got caught.
dwb993 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 07:02 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

My son, years ago, reported he found my information on the dark web. Two years ago the State of California published on a State website, the complete information on every CCW (concealed weapon holder) that is required on the state paperwork. That is not only names, occupations, addresses but SSN numbers, phone numbers, and other personal information. This included judges (hey Mr Convicted Criminal, wouldn't you love to get even with that nasty judge who sentenced you to the slammer?) law enforcement, everyone who has one.

As a result of this breach (some believed it was intentional by left leaning anti-gun folks at the office that controlled this website) the state gave me and everyone else a free year security monitoring by a particular outfit. They also reported my stuff on the dark web. As my son reported some time before the state disclosure, I assumed nothing new was revealed with only new people getting to see the information on the regular web. The monthly tracking was interesting and received alerts if something popped up. Fortunately, we have not detected active fraud on our part.

I looked into the process of getting to the dark web and found it quite interesting. The web we are used to surfing is less than 10% of the web traffic. The majority is used in closed systems such as hospitals, health providers, business and banking. The dark web is dangerous to visit for two reasons:
The first is the danger of your computer getting hijacked. That is why you should have a dedicated stand alone device that is used only for that and is not connected in any way to other computers. You should connect only when other computers are disconnected and when you are finished, physically disconnect your dark web computer. You should also us a VPN and use email masking.
The second danger is everybody on the dark web is subject to Federal monitoring. You will be tracked. Depending on what you do, you may get a visit from friendly FBI agents who would like to have a coffee with you.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 04-18-2024 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 4,992 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Ray, that was terrible service and you should end all contact with them. We have (knock on wood) wonderful local support by a credit union on any credit card issues.

Quick Reply: Fraud