S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 09-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Lainey.... lets set up Logmein on your PC and give me access to it (your PC)...

I can fix it....

Trust me!!!!

You do trust me.... right?

If you are not getting a new PC soon (which might only have Windows 8 as the OS).... I'd upgrade to Windows 7.

As to the speakers in the monitor... most are not worth a lot.... get some external speakers and a sub woofer.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I made giant leap today on my Mac software from Snow Leopard bypassing Lion to Mountain Lion. Only took a hour and so far I think it's a big improvement but the one change that is really going to take a while to get used to is the mouse 'scrolls backwards'. There's an option to go back to normal but I going to give it a few days.
Dave, is this like getting a black belt in karate? I'd never heard any such names for software.

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000

I can fix it....

Trust me!!!!

If you are not getting a new PC soon (which might only have Windows 8 as the OS).... I'd upgrade to Windows 7.

As to the speakers in the monitor... most are not worth a lot.... get some external speakers and a sub woofer.
Mike, of course I will let you remote in.

We were going to vacuum out the computer this afternoon but step one, Remove cover, baffled us. The day was half shot already and I didn't want to mess with it. Of course using the computer to work with some pics later, the fan was noisy.

Right now you can still get windows 7 with a Dell computer. I don't know that the current computer would take an upgrade to 7

I re-connected the old speakers. Sound much improved.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Remember, after you vacuum it, shampoo it.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Remember, after you vacuum it, shampoo it.
Got some car wash soap that should work great!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Dry it with a microfiber towel!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1379895546' post='22791046
I made giant leap today on my Mac software from Snow Leopard bypassing Lion to Mountain Lion. Only took a hour and so far I think it's a big improvement but the one change that is really going to take a while to get used to is the mouse 'scrolls backwards'. There's an option to go back to normal but I going to give it a few days.
Dave, is this like getting a black belt in karate? I'd never heard any such names for software.

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000

I can fix it....

Trust me!!!!

Mike, of course I will let you remote in.

We were going to vacuum out the computer this afternoon but step one, Remove cover, baffled us. The day was half shot already and I didn't want to mess with it. Of course using the computer to work with some pics later, the fan was noisy.

Right now you can still get windows 7 with a Dell computer. I don't know that the current computer would take an upgrade to 7

I re-connected the old speakers. Sound much improved.
Removing the cover can be tricky. I've done it a number of times on my old windows pc to vacuum it out. My suggestion would be to call a local pc repair shop with the model number and ask for advice on removing the cover. Even then some fans are not totally accessible - at least mine was not. If you have a compressor you might try blowing it out at a VERY low volume of air. Sometimes fans simply wear out and have to be replaced to eliminate the noise... had to do that once as well.

In the Mac world they name each operating software upgrade. Their idea for changing how the scroll flows was to correspond with the way hands work on touch screens for iPads and iPhones. Believe it or not I do see a iPhone in my future.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 AM

Thanks Dave. I found some info on line, just too much to do yesterday to mess with it. If we fail, I know a guy...........

I'm tapping my foot wondering when that iphone will finally make it to your house.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
What model do you have, I can check and see if I find anything online.... or post a pic of the back and sides should be enough.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I don't know. I really like Windows 8. I'm running it on 4 computers and am very happy with it. I think it runs better and faster than Win7.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Interesting you mention Win 8. I was just looking to see how difficult it would be to upgrade from XP to Win 7/8. Ain't happening. It requires a reinstall, which I'm not going to do. I'll just wait and get a new desktop next year or whenever.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek