S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How to get current time-of-day?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get current time-of-day?

Some of you may remember that the phone companies used to provide a service that give you the current time (does POP-CORN ring a bell? "At the tone, the Pacific standard time will be ... beep"). I used to call it every time the power goes out at our house so I can reset the oven, microwave, answering machine, VCR, TV, clock radio, lawn sprinkler controller, water softener, ...

Well, our phone company has discontinued this free service to save money (I have no idea how much they were spending on this service). So now I have no one to call to get the "standard" time. I prefer a phone call over the internet because the phone always works, even after a power outage. And I have a phone in the kitchen next to my ovens. I don't want to have to fire up my computer (especially after a power outage -- I always want to make sure the power is stable before I fire up the computer because it may go down again) just to get the time from the internet and have to run from the den to the kitchen to reset the clocks.

I also don't carry a cell-phone, so I don't have another "clock" that is connected to the "net". So what is the best way to get the current time for free? I just need a replacement for POP-CORN. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Cell Phone...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 PM

Some cable TV systems have a clock on their viewing guide channel. That's what I use and it's pretty reliable.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

GPS units like Garmin give you a currently accurate time indication. But they are not like your cell phone in that they do not update automatically for daylight savings or when you cross into a different time zone. You have to adapt them on the menu.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my old fashioned analog watch or wall clock ;~)
Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Try this site or the US Naval Observatory Master clock

http://www.masterclock.com/
Old 12-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

My dad bought me a clock (round, battery-powered wall clock like those you see on office walls) that automatically sets itself to the atomic clock in Boulder, CO. I keep it by a window to ensure it picks up the signal and use it to set all the other clocks in the house. Pretty .
Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

NIST Atomic clock link
http://www.time.gov/
This is the officail time of the government (GPS time).
Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 AM

Lets see no cell phone and you don't want to fire up your PC after an outage (good idea unless you have a UPS or are sure the power is back for good). As an alternative all the digital clocks that we have in the house have battery back up. We change the battery (usually a 9V) when we change the batteries in the smoke detectors.
The batteries hold the correct time for several hours with no external power.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many places that I have lived, the time & temperature phone number was operated by one of the local banks. With all of the current sources for correct time, the banks may have noticed a drop in call volume and given up the service.

Besides all the battery powered items with time displays(pocket phones, battery wall clocks, clock radios with battery back-up, etc.), we have an "Atomic Clock" from La Crosse Technology. It checks itself with the NIST each day. http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/
These are sold in a number of departent stores. I think cost is around $20 - $40 depending on how elaborate it is. Ours also has Indoor and outdoor temperatures, humidity, and forecast.