S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/im-fat-2019-please-join-me-1190682/)

Legal Bill 12-30-2018 03:41 PM

I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!

I'm really going to try next year. Only two days to go. I want to lose 40 pounds. I'd like to see some of you join me.

Scooterboy 12-30-2018 04:26 PM

I and my cardiologist would be happy if I lose 20lbs. We will see what happens!

Emil St-Hilaire 12-30-2018 04:34 PM

Bill,if you loose 40 pounds,we won’t be able to see you anymore...:banghead:

boltonblue 12-30-2018 06:07 PM

an honest goal would be 40 lbs, a stretch goal would be 60 lbs, but the objective would be 80 lbs.
I hide weight really well.

Conedodger 12-30-2018 06:15 PM

I'm in. With my inactivity due to bad hips, and now recovery time with the replacements, I've packed on more than I'd like. My goal is to lose 25lbs.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...9248d393e3.jpg

ralper 12-30-2018 08:12 PM

Liz wants me to lose 30 lbs, but for now I'll be happy if I can drop 15 in the not too distant future. Of course, I have to do something about my sweet tooth and discipline myself to exercise. I'm in and I'm going to try hard, but because I love to nosh I won't make any promises. (Where are those chocolate chip cookies?)

dlq04 12-30-2018 09:25 PM

Back in 2010 I started a diet, probably because Legal Bill said he was fat and wanted everyone to join him. So I started recording this stuff. I was 192 and a year later I was 176. Thanks Bill. A year later I was 183, and a year later 183, but in 2014 I was at 188 and a year later 195 and then by January 2016 I was 197. In 2017 I was 192 and at the start of 2018 I was 194. Seems so easy when you just track some points in time. Heck, I only gained 2 pounds in 8 years. Considering I break every rule ever written on what to eat and I do it all the time, I know there’s no point in pushing myself to change. If I remember I’ll weigh myself just for the record to see where I am at start of 2019 but I already know it will be some where between 195-200. But . . . if we were all measuring how far our chests dropped into the space below, I would not be sharing any numbers. I'm planning on having mirrors removed soon.

Lainey 12-31-2018 04:49 AM

I'm stuck where I've been for a while. A few pounds heavier than my preferred weight and several pounds heavier than when I discovered Zumba, and was really careful about what I was eating. I can't promise any diet. We eat pretty healthy already, and like others, I can't give up my sugar habit. So the goal is to move more than I am, and maybe less snacking. It's all I've got.

Besides if I lose weight it will show in my face, and make me look old. :LOL:

Legal Bill 12-31-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey (Post 24548896)
I'm stuck where I've been for a while. A few pounds heavier than my preferred weight and several pounds heavier than when I discovered Zumba, and was really careful about what I was eating. I can't promise any diet. We eat pretty healthy already, and like others, I can't give up my sugar habit. So the goal is to move more than I am, and maybe less snacking. It's all I've got.

Nah, not you, Lainey.

But I do have that problem. But what do I care? I'm 60-something and that is the way it goes. I want to get into my pants, not Men's Health magazine.

Legal Bill 12-31-2018 06:02 AM

So...Leaving today and tonight aside... Tomorrow will be a big old salad day for me. Salad for lunch, salad for dinner. I think Barbara and I will do some shopping today to make sure we are stocked up on the good stuff. Fortunately, I have been walking on the treadmill a bit these past three or four weeks. Mot much, mind you. About 25 minutes twice a week. But that is enough to get me started without hurting myself with a daily routine of 20 to 25 minutes.

As usual, I'll be tracking every metric I can think of to find encouragement along the way. This includes:

Daily weigh-ins
dealing with hunger and food urges
drops in food consumption
limitations on alcohol
exercise improvements and the related improvements in strength, agility, and endurance
sleep habit improvements
clothing fit improvements and drops in sizes
Improvements in processing, focus, thinking and memory. What I call clear-headedness. My mind always seems to work slower when I'm fat.

I urge all of you to do something similar, just because of how much these improvements help to keep you on track, especially when you are having trouble thinking of a reason to not have that second helping, drink, or bag of snack foods after dinner.

Identify your weaknesses and build your defenses.

I'm pretty good most of the day, but at night, after dinner, I cave in and eat all sorts of things, sometimes until I feel sick. I combat this with a routine.

Eat a sensible dinner.
Get changed into work-out clothes.
Tell my wife I'm going to work-out.
Watch perhaps a single half-hour show, just to digest a bit before getting started. (Having told my wife about working out, she will remind me after the show is over.)
Get on the treadmill or elliptical and exercise for a half hour or more.
Add weights and abdominal work as I progress.
If at all possible, find some other activity after the work-out. Cleaning house, fixing broken things, doing some car or fishing gear maintenance.

Not only do i get my mind off food, I get a lot accomplished and even save some money on things I might have hired others to do so that I'd have more time to sit on my ass and eat snacks.

All of these are things that work for me and I'm sure you have different things that work for you. Please share them here.

Lainey 12-31-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24548906)
Nah, not you, Lainey.

But I do have that problem. But what do I care? I'm 60-something and that is the way it goes. I want to get into my pants, not Men's Health magazine.

OK, the extra weight is better for my bones? I'll use that excuse for a while longer....

Kyras 12-31-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey (Post 24548896)

^That's muscle you gained from your workouts. It's good.

S2KRAY 12-31-2018 11:52 AM

De Javu again. Get ready for the weight loss resolutions. :LOL:

Kyras 12-31-2018 12:43 PM

I'm Fat; 2018.

Rather than state my opinion again, on fasting, it's ^here and has already been bashed. I still stand by it. I lost 10 pounds and will try to lose another 10.

Lainey 12-31-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24549056)
^That's muscle you gained from your workouts. It's good.

My jeans do not share that opinion. ;)

boltonblue 12-31-2018 01:20 PM

In the words of Shakira, the hips don't lie?

hecash 12-31-2018 05:59 PM

Interesting to see this. I just started a weight reduction campaign two weeks ago. It's modest in numbers because I'm a little guy. My heart issues complicate the project. I need to do long and slow stuff like walking. I want to get from 150 down to 135. I'm down to 145.5 as of today. I'll post my progress.

MsPerky 01-01-2019 03:24 AM

:thumbup:

Conedodger 01-01-2019 08:50 AM

Spent 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. 50 sit ups and some arm work with 8lb. dumbbells. Half a bowl of soup and a glass of water for lunch.

boltonblue 01-01-2019 10:10 AM

A true Caesar salad for lunch followed by a nice warm fresh brownie.so 50-50.

Legal Bill 01-01-2019 01:24 PM

A shrimp salad with a low cal dressing for lunch. I'll probably have the same for dinner and then go on the treadmill. I found a lot of things to do during the day to keep my mind off food.

hecash 01-01-2019 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger (Post 24549329)
Spent 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. 50 sit ups and some arm work with 8lb. dumbbells. Half a bowl of soup and a glass of water for lunch.

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24549393)
A shrimp salad with a low cal dressing for lunch. I'll probably have the same for dinner and then go on the treadmill. I found a lot of things to do during the day to keep my mind off food.

WHOA, whoa, whoa..............You guys are way more serious about this than I am. Geez!

Legal Bill 01-01-2019 03:06 PM

Ok. A nice salad for dinner. Now it is time for the treadmill and elliptical.

Legal Bill 01-01-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24549410)
WHOA, whoa, whoa..............You guys are way more serious about this than I am. Geez!

No problem, Harry. Roll however you roll.

Conedodger 01-01-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24549410)

Ha! I offset it with a salad and a single slice of Uno's Chicago Meat Market deep dish pizza. According to the website a slice has 580-870 calories!!

All the bad left overs in the fridge are now gone, so tomorrow it gets serious. ;)

Legal Bill 01-01-2019 04:55 PM

25 minutes on the treadmill and five minutes on the elliptical. I'm not feeling too hungry at the moment.

Lainey 01-01-2019 06:03 PM

Just over three miles of strolling today. Back to the Y tomorrow.

Outside of some chocolate (a daily must) I ate pretty well today. Even had less diet Coke and drank water after dinner, and ate apple before dinner I feel so healthy. :LOL:

Kyras 01-02-2019 06:29 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...355e16172c.jpg

Conedodger 01-02-2019 06:46 AM

^^:LOL:

Legal Bill 01-02-2019 07:36 AM

Good pic, Patty. So I did my first weigh in today AFTER one day of dieting and exercise. I just wanted to get rid of the "easy" pounds first. I hit the scale at a portly 191. Ugh! Well, at least I have plenty of room for improvement.

Tonight Barbara and I are going to a Celtics game. It is part of a nice "package" that I won at my firm's charity event to support Special Olympics of Massachusetts. There will be several opportunities to eat and drink too much, all of which I must try to avoid. It will also be difficult to fit in any exercise today.

There is never a good time to start these things, but all we can do is try our best.

boltonblue 01-02-2019 09:26 AM

191 :melodramatic: I can dream...

hecash 01-02-2019 02:37 PM

Two days ago - 145.5
Today's weigh in at 144.2.

Legal Bill 01-03-2019 07:38 AM

Good job, Harry. Jerry, while you wish you were 191, I wish I was 6 feet tall. You can lose weight, I can't grow.

I couldn't weigh myself before breakfast and coffee today so I was not surprised that I had no weight loss this morning. I was equally surprised I had no weight gain!!

For dinner, Barbara and I split a grilled cheese and lobster sandwich and we each had a glass of wine. (So much for Dry January, but I'm back on the wagon.) For breakfast I had a broccoli and egg "thing" (looked like a cup cake) and three slices of bacon. I had no time for exercise yesterday or this morning.

Today i started a biggest Loser contest at work, so I have added incentive to stay on track.

dlq04 01-03-2019 07:44 AM

Added 5 pounds in December which puts me at 195.

boltonblue 01-03-2019 03:27 PM

to put it in perspective Bill. I was nibbling at 260 as in 259.8 this past weekend and was 256.4 this morning.
I'm lighter in the morning by 2-3 lbs. so 191 yeah that looks good like a mirage on the horizon.

I would love to be 175-180-ish.

Legal Bill 01-04-2019 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24550204)
to put it in perspective Bill. I was nibbling at 260 as in 259.8 this past weekend and was 256.4 this morning.
I'm lighter in the morning by 2-3 lbs. so 191 yeah that looks good like a mirage on the horizon.

I would love to be 175-180-ish.

It is very doable, Jerry. My brother recently lost 65 pounds and is still dropping. You can do it too!

Yesterday I had some sort of broccoli and egg thing and three slices of bacon for breakfast. I then had two varieties of salad with grilled chicken for lunch and dinner. I did ten minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes on the treadmill. Today's weight is 189.3. I celebrate being out of the 190s.

I'm working from home for a bit this morning and then taking the rest of the day to drive down to the Cape and play with two of my boats. I like to find projects I can do at night. I'll bring home some fishing rods and boat parts that all need to be cleaned up and/or serviced. I'm hoping to stay on track as I fight the cravings for snacks, in the evening, especially.

Deckoz 01-04-2019 06:01 AM

I might not belong here.. because im 135.. but Ive had a the opposite problem my whole life of not being able to gain weight.

I eat around 8 small meals a day, instead of 3 or 4 larger meals Basically a good size breakfast, and then small 100-400 calorie snacks, and then one big meal for dinner. Snacking, or grazing instead of meals, will help speed up your metabolism.

I've been able to get up to 155/165 before, but only when sticking to 3-4 large meals, and no snacking, vs turning my meals into smaller snack size. As soon as I stop and graze, I loose any gains I've made. Rate and amount of consumpsion really effect digestive efficiency. Just, eating like this makes me feel tired and sluggish, I feel much more energized grazing. It feels more natural to me.

Sorry if I am in the wrong place. Just figured I'd share, my opposite struggle of holding weight on, as it may help some bring weight off..

boltonblue 01-04-2019 06:11 AM

Well Deck I don't know your age but there was a time when I fit that description.
I was 6'1" and 150-155 pounds. If there was food I ate it. upwards of 6-8,000 calories a day.,
then at about 27-28 the world changed. my physiology evolved and I got behind a desk.

Legal Bill 01-05-2019 01:16 PM

A disappointing weigh in this morning. After a day of working outside on my boat, two salads, 10 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill, there was no change. So far today I have had one salad and have been running around the house working on small projects. At half time of Texans/Colts I'll have dinner and hit the 'mill after. I drank more water today. Maybe that will help.

Conedodger 01-05-2019 01:26 PM

Well, I've had a set back too. Lunch and dinner out yesterday. Then dinner leftovers for lunch today. I did spend 30 minutes on the treadmill and 50 sit ups this morning.

TsukubaCody 01-05-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24550855)
A disappointing weigh in this morning. After a day of working outside on my boat, two salads, 10 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill, there was no change. So far today I have had one salad and have been running around the house working on small projects. At half time of Texans/Colts I'll have dinner and hit the 'mill after. I drank more water today. Maybe that will help.

Don't weigh in so often, it's going to get you discouraged.

Do a weekly weigh in.

And caesar salads aren't really all that healthy, just an FYI for you folks.

MsPerky 01-05-2019 01:52 PM

^ Yeah, gotta watch the salad dressing. Forget the creamy ones and don't use too much.

Kyras 01-05-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24550855)

I managed to gain weight this week! I just rode my ElliptiGO 26 miles and got 1,954 feet of gain so I better see a drop tomorrow.

I read a better way to keep track of your weight. Pick a day and get the average for the week on that day, each week. If you have 7 days of data, average them and if you only have 4 days of data, average them. You can go up and down from one Friday to the next even though you might have a lower average over all if you consider the entire week.

Lainey 01-05-2019 04:07 PM

Haven't stepped on the scale for a few days.....I guess I'm due. Most of the bad food is gone from the house.

Turbo Kick at the Y today, tough class. Would have liked to keep moving, out of doors, but it's been a gloomy rainy day. Didn't feel like cleaning so sat around way too much. Grabbed a burger at a local chain restaurant for dinner. Was going to have a salad with chicken but that did have more calories than the burger. However I always ask for a light dressing and don't use much when ordering salad. My burger was slightly overcooked I don't think I ate much more than 1/2 with a few fries. The popcorn before the meal doesn't count, right?

Hoped to stroll a couple nature trails tomorrow, but they will likely be way too wet.

Lainey 01-05-2019 06:12 PM

"All this is not to say that exercise doesn't have its place," Drayer said. "It's certainly important for building strength and muscle mass and flexibility. It can help to manage diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. It can improve your mood. It can help fight depression. But although exercise can help with weight loss, diet is a much more important lifestyle factor."As the saying goes: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Weight loss, it's about the intake.....

freq 01-05-2019 06:30 PM

I'm here too but I'm really only about 10 pounds from my ideal weight. At 51, I'm 5'6" and 170ish pounds

I try to ride my bike (outside) weather permitting and even use it to commute. Last year i did almost 1900 miles, never indoors, always outside. This year I'm hoping for 2000+ miles.

Never stop trying.

Kyras 01-05-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24550964)
I'm here too but I'm really only about 10 pounds from my ideal weight. At 51, I'm 5'6" and 170ish pounds

I try to ride my bike (outside) weather permitting and even use it to commute. Last year i did almost 1900 miles, never indoors, always outside. This year I'm hoping for 2000+ miles.

Never stop trying.

Where do you live? My exercise is riding my elliptical bike, an 11R ElliptiGO. I live in Loveland, Colorado and plan around good riding days. Today I got in 26 miles with 1,954 feet of gain. It was relatively warm in the 50s.

Legal Bill 01-06-2019 05:36 AM

Today's weigh in number is 187.8, so a 1.5 pound drop.

As to salad dressings, my favorite (and lowest) is Ken's Light Northern Italian. 2 tbsp is 40 calories.

As to daily weigh-ins, it seems we discuss this every year and I don't think anyone is going to change their minds about it, but here is my take. Daily weigh-ins are pretty much a must for me. The accountability is very helpful and I find I learn quite a bit about how my body is reacting to diet and exercise. While the conventional advice was to weighing once a week, recent advice and studies are coming around to my way of thinking on this issue:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...aily/77584478/

https://jandonline.org/article/S2212...873-5/abstract

Yes you can still find recent articles advising against the daily weigh-in. My advice is to do what actually works for you.

Kyras 01-06-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24551045)
Today's weigh in number is 187.8, so a 1.5 pound drop.

As to salad dressings, my favorite (and lowest) is Ken's Light Northern Italian. 2 tbsp is 40 calories.

As to daily weigh-ins, it seems we discuss this every year and I don't think anyone is going to change their minds about it, but here is my take. Daily weigh-ins are pretty much a must for me. The accountability is very helpful and I find I learn quite a bit about how my body is reacting to diet and exercise. While the conventional advice was to weighing once a week, recent advice and studies are coming around to my way of thinking on this issue:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...aily/77584478/

https://jandonline.org/article/S2212...873-5/abstract

Yes you can still find recent articles advising against the daily weigh-in. My advice is to do what actually works for you.

Bill, I'm all for daily weighing but I am going to be doing a weekly average, too. The daily weighing has told me to skip the adult beverages.

S2KRAY 01-06-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey (Post 24550960)
"All this is not to say that exercise doesn't have its place," Drayer said. "It's certainly important for building strength and muscle mass and flexibility. It can help to manage diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. It can improve your mood. It can help fight depression. But although exercise can help with weight loss, diet is a much more important lifestyle factor."As the saying goes: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Weight loss, it's about the intake.....

Bingo Lainey. This is absolutely correct and trumps most weight loss plans I know of. Calories in, calories out has been my plan along with balanced exercise. Plus all of the other benefits you mention. I got my A1C down from 7.0 to 5.3, Lost weight and my cholesterol numbers are both under 100. I also keep my blood pressure numbers in a good range. It takes discipline and i admit I like those Happy Hours at the beach with all of that healthy food. But, in moderation.

boltonblue 01-06-2019 09:31 AM

it's the that &*^% BMR...
portion sizes matter too.
but Bill pointed to it earlier, boredom. get bored go to pantry.
Somewhere in the last 5-10 years i lost the buzz you get from working out.
I just don't get the endorphin from exercising anymore.

hecash 01-06-2019 12:24 PM

I hope like hell that I can continue to control my intake. It's getting to be a total drag to go to bed hungry every night.

Progress Report
12/15/18 - 150.5
no interim data
12/31/18 - 145.5
01/02/19 - 144.2
01/06/19 - 143.6

Legal Bill 01-06-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24551102)
it's the that &*^% BMR...
portion sizes matter too.
but Bill pointed to it earlier, boredom. get bored go to pantry.
Somewhere in the last 5-10 years i lost the buzz you get from working out.
I just don't get the endorphin from exercising anymore.

I look for projects and line them up for my down time. I took a day off on Friday, went down to the Cape and did some work on my Parker Sport Cabin boat. I brought home the leaning post from the Parker and the Captain's seat from the Grady. This weekend I serviced and repaired a rod and reel, repainted the Vinyl on the arm rests of my Grady-White seats, and resprayed the leaning post on my Parker. I received and installed my new Amazon Fire Stick with Alexa remote, and took care of some financial and life insurance paper work. Now I'll need to go back down the Cape to drop off what I worked on and pick up more projects. I have a new high volume fan for the Healey that I need to install. That will be a good weekend project as I'll have to remove the radiator. Anyway, you get the idea.

Legal Bill 01-06-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24551175)
I hope like hell that I can continue to control my intake. It's getting to be a total drag to go to bed hungry every night.

Progress Report
12/15/18 - 150.5
no interim data
12/31/18 - 145.5
01/02/19 - 144.2
01/06/19 - 143.6

Good job, Harry. What is your goal?

hecash 01-06-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill (Post 24551213)
Good job, Harry. What is your goal?

I'm shooting for 135 but it's looking like I may bail out before then. "The Hunger Games" is not my style.

boltonblue 01-06-2019 04:28 PM

My beautiful wife is the most important element of my life but....
I think she is trying to undercut me. Yesterday she made these great big Congo bars and Pecan rolls today.

Legal Bill 01-06-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24551219)
I'm shooting for 135 but it's looking like I may bail out before then. "The Hunger Games" is not my style.

I understand, Harry. I find that you can take a "day off" every week and still lose weight. I just like to get a third or half way to my goal before I take my foot off the gas.

Legal Bill 01-06-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 24551247)
My beautiful wife is the most important element of my life but....
I think she is trying to undercut me. Yesterday she made these great big Congo bars and Pecan rolls today.

It really does help if you are both on the same page.

boltonblue 01-07-2019 03:30 AM

funny part? I lost a few pounds this weekend. but i think it is in the noise.

Legal Bill 01-07-2019 04:29 AM

187.4. Very small change, but in the right direction.

Legal Bill 01-07-2019 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24551061)
Bill, I'm all for daily weighing but I am going to be doing a weekly average, too. The daily weighing has told me to skip the adult beverages.

That’s interesting Patty. I see the wisdom. The weekly average gives you a better idea of the trend.

NebraskaS2k 01-07-2019 08:58 AM

I retired several years ago and weighed about 195, then I put on a few pounds. Last August I weighed 205 and had been there for quite a while. My wife went to an introductory meeting for 'The 7 Systems Plan' by Dr. Pat Luse and we joined. We're local so we attend weekly meetings and periodic health checkups. We have both lost weight, i'm at 175. I told her it was the easiest way to trim weight off the S2000. Dr. Pat Luse has a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/The7SystemsPlan/ that tells about the plan.

Kyras 01-07-2019 09:40 AM

I've been all over the place weight wise for the first week of January 2019. I'm back in control today and at the lowest of the past 7 days, but 8 days ago I was lower, so I'm not exactly celebrating. I realized my worst problem was the triple ginger snap cookies I made for Christmas. I had lots of left overs that I froze and each time I'd have one I'd eat 7 more. I can't just eat one. Well, that following adult beverages that told me it was okay to pig out. :wine:

Today, I'm up .9 lbs from Monday, Dec. 31st but I'm down 1.8 lbs. from my average of the last 7 days. See how good that average works, Bill. :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...3261cc9da3.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...626265681f.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...0c3466f718.jpg

dlq04 01-07-2019 01:10 PM

:yikes: Who else would post pictures of very tempting cookies on a diet thread. :suspect: :nono: I'm not officially on a diet and those look really good. :)

Kyras 01-07-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24551544)
:yikes: Who else would post pictures of very tempting cookies on a diet thread. :suspect: :nono: I'm not officially on a diet and those look really good. :)

Most people I know don't like ginger cookies. Do you, Dave? My brother-in-law does so I made them to take to Christmas Eve.

dlq04 01-07-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24551546)
Most people I know don't like ginger cookies. Do you, Dave? My brother-in-law does so I made them to take to Christmas Eve.

Love 'em

Kyras 01-07-2019 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 24551548)
Love 'em

I should have sent them to you!

MsPerky 01-07-2019 01:38 PM

I have an old recipe for ginger snaps that my mother used to make. They are delish. Almost more like molasses cookies. But I don't make them because I try to keep that stuff out of the house. My weight has been the same for the past few years. I could stand to lose at least 10 pounds but it doesn't seem to be happening for me. I am just not willing to deprive myself completely of the things that keep weight on. The +1 is much more disciplined. He eats lots of yogurt, which I hate. And is better about avoiding carbs. He also exercises a lot more. He is 6' and 185. He's trying to get back to his preferred weight of 175. I don't think he's gotten there yet.

buckeyesue 01-07-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24551546)

I like homemade gingersnap cookies!

I have a recipe that is similar to yours, Patty, but it doesn't use crystallized ginger or fresh peeled ginger. My recipe just uses ground ginger, which makes it much easier.

The recipe that I have is from a 1954 cookbook that my grandmother gave me when goblue and I got married in 1968.

I think that MsPerky likes gingersnaps, too. She once posted a recipe called Yum Yum Cookies, which is quite similar to my recipe, too.

I didn't make any Christmas cookies this year, because we are remodeling our kitchen!

Sorry, so off topic. :)

MsPerky 01-07-2019 01:42 PM

^ Yep - see my post above, Sue!!

buckeyesue 01-07-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky (Post 24551565)
^ Yep - see my post above, Sue!!

Deb, we must have been typing at the same time! :)

jukngene 01-07-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24551479)

How about posting the rest of the prep instructions? I may decide to make some someday! :)

Kyras 01-07-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene (Post 24551570)
How about posting the rest of the prep instructions? I may decide to make some someday! :)

Go here Gene, and hit the Print button.

jukngene 01-07-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras (Post 24551582)
Go here Gene, and hit the Print button.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Kyras 01-07-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene (Post 24551585)
Thanks! :thumbup:

You're welcome. I love Trader Joe's triple ginger cookies so I was looking for a recipe with candied ginger. If I make them again I'm going to use double the candied ginger.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...63697d1739.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...77019e3c96.jpg
^This root was exactly enough for double the recipe.