S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Itch for a Cabin

Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Itch for a Cabin

While on vacation last week we found a small 2-bedroom cabin for sale with 2-acres on a small private lake, reportedly known for great fishing. It comes with about 150 ft of lake frontage. Impulsively we made an offer and since then a verbal counter-offer which was only $5k more. The owners asked that be put in writing which suggests they might accept it. Since a few days have gone by I'm having second thoughts and can't decide if I want to initial my counter-offer to make it official.

It's nothing special to look at from the outside.

The backside.

Before the realitor showed up my wife tried out the fishing.... no bites! But it was only a couple casts and hot mid-day at that.

This is the view. It is DEFINITELY peaceful. I spoke with a neighbor who's lived there 30 years and he said there's maybe one rowboat on the lake every couple weeks! It's mostly state land with only three year-round homes and they are all really Vintage folks 80s/90s. I'm thinking maybe it's too peaceful.

The main problem is it's a 4 hour drive away - and more like 5 hours if we stop to eat, etc. If we went up on Friday nights we'd have 1-1/2 days over the weekend to use. Not much considering a 10 hour round trip.

I've listed all the pros and cons and still struggle with what to do. Any input is welcomed.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:10 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

We've never had a weekend home, but I've friends who have.

The thought is anything more than three hours away means too much time on the road.

How much time do you have to devote to the upkeep of the place? How often do you think you'd get there? Every weekend you are there means "stuff" doesn't get done at your other place. How much time does your other hobby "cars" take up? Doesn't the wife have a horse?

Answers to those questions would determine if I'd want to put $ into a weekend home.

It does look peaceful though.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jul 19 2006, 09:10 AM
The thought is anything more than three hours away means too much time on the road.
Great minds think alike. That has always been my seat-of-pants limit as well.

As for upkeep - outside would be next to none. 20 minutes with a weedwacker! It's all forest around it. There is definitely major forest clean-up needed due to overturned shallow rooted softwood trees to make the forest look pretty. I would have to put in a new dock. Since the cabin is 25 years old, it appears in good shape (pending a professional inspection).

Inside shot of the fireplace.

Inside shot of the walk to the lake.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each time we go on a vacation to a place like this, I want it. Of course, some of the cabins we've stayed in wouldn't be our first choice, but the spots are always somewhere that I want to be able to come back to in a place of my own. (I'm certain this will happen in two weeks, too, when we head out west.)

The second thoughts are reality intruding on the fantasy. This isn't to say that purchasing this place would be a bad idea, it's just the way impulse purchasing works -- there are always those second thoughts.

Given the distance (and 4 hours each way is a big commitment), one way to approach it would be to stall on the counter-offer (or make sure the inspector finds some show-stoppers) until you can do some looking around. Now that you have the itch, there may be other ways to scratch it.

After all, marrying the first girl you dance with isn't necessarily the best long-term decision. HPH
Old 07-19-2006, 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=dlq04,Jul 19 2006, 07:04 AM]

Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 AM

We don't live a in crowded noisy area. It's a sub-division but our house is surrounded by tall trees with ZERO traffic or noise with dozens of birds, squirrels, etc. in the yard all the time. In short, where we live is peaceful all the time - any day or weekend.

So all I'm really gaining is a place for a campfire (which we both love) and the ability to walk to our small 12-foot fishing boat. I started out telling myself it's an investment due to the potential value growth of being on the water...... plus the stock market's been in the crapper the past 6-weeks. But I also know I would feel great pressure to USE it given the purchase price.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 19 2006, 09:32 AM
The second thoughts are reality intruding on the fantasy.
I keep thinking of that statement and how correct it is. I think you captured it in a few words much better than I ever could.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 AM

^^ Yeah, well, I'm really experienced with fantasy. HPH
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 19 2006, 10:01 AM
^^ Yeah, well, I'm really experienced with fantasy. HPH
And I've made my home in fantasyland and love living there. You've got to have dreams and fantasies, don't you? Reality can suck sometimes. Who needs it? Plus, like you said, it always creeps in anyway.

It will be interesting to see what you decide, DL.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=dlq04,Jul 19 2006, 09:04 AM]The main problem is it's a 4 hour drive away - and more like 5 hours if we stop to eat, etc.

Quick Reply: Itch for a Cabin