S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Mensch

Old 11-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Mensch

in Yiddish the word mensch (roughly translated) means good man, honorable man, gentleman. All of the good and honorable things a man can be. There are a couple of menches in the Politics subforum.

s2000Junky and I tend to be left of center, fltsfshr and zdave exist to the right of center. With the midterm elections coming up we had a bet. Junky and I bet that the Democrats would take the house, flts and zdave bet they wouldn't. The losers had to make donations to the winner's charity. Junky and my charity was St. Judes Hospital for Children. Flts and zdave support the Harry Chapin Food Bank. In any event, in the course of the campaign we decided that we'd all donate to each other's charities. I am pleased and happy to say that both the St. Judes Hospital for Children and the Harry Chapin Food Bank now both have a bit more money to do their good work with.

We have a thread going in the Politics subforum, and I am pleased to say that even though Junky and I are on the correct side of the political spectrum and flts and zdave are on the wrong side, we've all become friends. Politics does strange things.

I am pleased to say that these three guys are menches.

The following users liked this post:
SheDrivesIt (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Old 11-09-2018, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the word mitzvah, meaning a good deed, is also applicable. kudos to you guys
Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 AM

Received 1,107 Likes on 988 Posts

Ralper - our first best was if Trump would win or not, and Trump did, and you donated to my charity.

I did struggle (a teeny tiny bit) about the terms of this latest bet, but I've always been a fair person, so I informed you of your error regarding the dates.

It's a wonderful thing when people from opposite sides can agree to a bet, and then pay off on that. I'll be settling /paying off mine today.

Last edited by zdave87; 11-09-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
in Yiddish the word mensch (roughly translated) means good man, honorable man, gentleman. All of the good and honorable things a man can be. There are a couple of menches in the Politics subforum.

s2000Junky and I tend to be left of center, fltsfshr and zdave exist to the right of center. With the midterm elections coming up we had a bet. Junky and I bet that the Democrats would take the house, flts and zdave bet they wouldn't. The losers had to make donations to the winner's charity. Junky and my charity was St. Judes Hospital for Children. Flts and zdave support the Harry Chapin Food Bank. In any event, in the course of the campaign we decided that we'd all donate to each other's charities. I am pleased and happy to say that both the St. Judes Hospital for Children and the Harry Chapin Food Bank now both have a bit more money to do their good work with.

We have a thread going in the Politics subforum, and I am pleased to say that even though Junky and I are on the correct side of the political spectrum and flts and zdave are on the wrong side, we've all become friends. Politics does strange things.

I am pleased to say that these three guys are menches.
I consider you a mench as well. St. Judes is a worthy charity.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Great post, Rob! The four gamblin’ mensches of Vintage Politics... And the charity of another wonderful Vintage mensch, Lifetime Member Maury Frankel, St Jude’s, is one of the beneficiaries! The Vintage Politics Subforum has been up to the task during this entire cycle, with serious, hard nosed discussion - together with a sense of humor and friendship. Your and Grant’s efforts and persistency have paid off.

There are of course many contributors, but IMO our MsPerky, Deb, is also one of the most constant and best contributors in the community of mensches!

Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by S1997
Great post, Rob! The four gamblin’ mensches of Vintage Politics... And the charity of another wonderful Vintage mensch, Lifetime Member Maury Frankel, St Jude’s, is one of the beneficiaries! The Vintage Politics Subforum has been up to the task during this entire cycle, with serious, hard nosed discussion - together with a sense of humor and friendship. Your efforts and persistency have paid off.

There are of course many contributors, but IMO our MsPerky, Deb, is also one of the best in the community of mensches!

Jim,

The proper word for Deb is "Balaboosta". A balaboosta is a woman who has earned the love and respect of everyone, a woman who is always at the center of things and who somehow manages to help to keep the Vintage "household" together. A charitable woman of wisdom and knowledge. Deb is a Balaboosta.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ Awwww thanks...
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Rob, thanks for posting this info for those of us who just can't bring ourselves to go into Politics. The story of you four was so good to hear on so many levels that I just had to make a donation to both charities. Maybe it will start a little trend.

https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude...o-st-jude.html
https://donate.harrychapinfoodbank.org/
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tof
Rob, thanks for posting this info for those of us who just can't bring ourselves to go into Politics. The story of you four was so good to hear on so many levels that I just had to make a donation to both charities. Maybe it will start a little trend.

https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude...o-st-jude.html
https://donate.harrychapinfoodbank.org/
I hope so. Politics aside, there are an awful lot of hungry people and sick children out there. Both the Harry Chapin Food Bank and St. Jude's Children's Hospital are great and worthy causes.

Quick Reply: Mensch