S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

PayPal Experience

Old 09-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts
Default PayPal Experience

I used PayPal for years as a buyer but never as a seller. This will be the one and only time I'll ever do it. This has dragged out so long I recorded the story since its not over. Oh my god what a run around from PayPal trying to collect our money from a sale!

It was the buyer’s idea to use PayPal and since we have used PayPal to buy items in the past, we agreed. We knew the buyer and were not concerned about getting our money.

The payment posted to our account on 9/3/18. The first surprise was we were charged a fee; ok, not that big of a surprise. We wished to have the payment balance transferred to our bank. We don't use online banking and had to establish a bank account. PayPal kept saying it could not recognize it our bank’s routing number. We kept trying, with no luck. Finally after entering the routing number and our account number more than once, it accepted it. We were informed we had to use a 2-step process that would take a couple days to ensure the account number we provided was ours. After waiting 2 days, we had to drive to the bank to obtain the specific small amounts PayPal deposited and report them back to PayPal.

Our problems continued. Neither the email nor online instructions how to enter the small amounts were accurate. We spent almost 2 hours on 9/6/18 trying to find the entry screen to confirm the two amounts. No human contact to call was listed on the site. Not a single FAQ was of any help. Everything we tried had sent us in circles. Finally, we stumbled on a link that took us to the entry screen. The link’s description had absolutely no indication it was the one to use; if fact, just the opposite. Finally, the bank account was confirmed.

Our problems continued. We repeatedly tried to transfer the money with no success. An error message kept telling us the transaction needed attention. Highlighted on the transaction was the need for a shipping label and tracking number. The buyer picked up the item but there was no way to tell PayPal that. On 9/7/18 we finally uncovered a phone number to call. After waiting a callback-hour we spoke with a live person. She said the issue had nothing to do with a shipping label. She explained PayPal put a block on our payment because we tried so often to transfer the money. Really!!! Of course, we wanted payment! The rep said she tried to assist the transfer but was unsuccessful.

She said wait 48 hours and try to transfer it one time only. On 9/10/18, after a total of 72 hours we tried a transfer and got the same refusal and called Customer Service (1-888-221-1161) again. After a 2-hour call back wait we spoke with a Rep. He asked what error message we were getting: “Right now, we’re not able to complete this transaction. Please try again later.” The same message we have received constantly for over a week. The Rep advised us engineers have been working on resolving our transfer issue since 9/6/18 and kept apologizing for our frustration. We were told once again to wait and try later in the day using a “withdrawal link” sent to us in the message center. Of course when we tried 5 hours later on 9/10/18 we got the same error message.

Finally on 9/11/18 at 8:36 they said the money was being transferred. As of today, 9/14/18, our bank has not received the money.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with PayPal but set something up recently. Used my email address (that's all people need to send me $) and linked my checking account. I get a notice of payment by the gift shop that has my photos, and then I transfer the money to my checking account.

You don't use online banking? Not even to pay bills?

Perhaps that's why you had so many issues? I only have a couple things set up for auto pay, and don't get ebills, but do prefer to pay bills on line. Any reason you don't go this route, Dave?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I am not a fan of Paypal, but there are times it is the only way to get something or sell. What turned me off was, I sold a car head unit and the guy didn’t want to sign for it, but because of the cost, my local said to require q signature and I did. About two weeks after the item was signed for, the owner of the email said that he never bought the item. Even though I had already transferred the money, Paypal put a freezer on my account, but I LUCKY DID WHAT WAS NEEDED TO PROTECT MYSELF, but I am not sure what that was and Paypal won’t tell me, be careful and I hope you get this worked out.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
You don't use online banking? Not even to pay bills?
Yes, We have three or four things set up for auto pay, i.e. monthly deposits into the grandkids college funds. So I quess if that's online banking, we do a little. Guess we are just not worldly enough to figure out how to get paid via email. Probably some app on your smart phone - right?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

No I did it on the PC with hints from a younger person sorry you've had so many troubles.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 703 Likes on 476 Posts

I sold my road bike and used PayPal. No issues but they do charge a fee. My kids are constantly buying and selling stuff and use PayPal, No problems that I know of.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I only have a handful of bills that are paid right out of my checking account automatically. Most of them are charged to my credit card so I get miles, then the credit cards get paid automatically. I set up a separate checking account for bill paying and I feed money into it twice a month (from my computer) so it has just enough to pay what's coming up. If the account gets hacked, I don't want much in there to get stolen. Maybe the bank would make me whole, but there would still be a time delay with no quickly accessible money.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 AM

I am embarrassed to say the money was received a week ago - the same day PayPal said they transferred it. We have multiple accounts at the same bank and Donna kept checking a different account. It finally dawned on me she might be doing that.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 920 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I am embarrassed to say the money was received a week ago - the same day PayPal said they transferred it. We have multiple accounts at the same bank and Donna kept checking a different account. It finally dawned on me she might be doing that.
Glad to hear that you already got your money.

What did Donna have to say about that???

Quick Reply: PayPal Experience