S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you ever show up at someone's home without calling?
No, I always call first.
71.43%
Sometimes, but only with family.
14.29%
Sure, my family and friends have always done this.
14.29%
Who has time to visit?
0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Unannounced Visiting

Old 06-11-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Thumbs up Unannounced Visiting

Do you ever show up un-announced at anyone's home? Does anyone show up un-announced at yours?

Since my Dad passed away, I know my Mom is out and about trying to keep busy. She has often stopped by our place and a place my sis had in another town nearby, unannounced.

This Saturday, she stopped by at 8:45 AM I had Ally taking a bath and I was trying to get things done before the grandson showed up. Mom told me she was out early and it turns our she had a scratch on her car she wanted to see if Rick could buff it out. She assumed we'd be up and in this case she was right, but it's not the same every Saturday, as our schedule depends on the babysitting schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mom, and appreciate the fact that at 85 we still have her and she is healthy, but sometimes these visits are ill timed, but I would never tell her that.

In the old days, before cell phones, I know Mom and Dad often would "pop by" to visit a sibling while they were in the neighborhood, and their siblings did the same thing. Mom has a cell phone.

If, for some reason, we want to visit someone, we always call first, do you?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Always call first.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always call first!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Depends. When I lived near my family and friends (walking distance) it was not uncommon to just stop by and say hi. For instance if I were going to the deli I might stop at my mom's to say hi and see if she needed anything. Since the distance was so close if the person being visited was busy we would recognize that leave. It wasn't like we drove for even 15 minutes to get there.

Now that we have to drive everywhere, we will call.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 AM

Lain, I think it's an "old school" (as the kids call it) thing. In the olden days, we thought nothing of just stopping by but nowadays, I always call first, even if I'm sitting in front of their house because I was in the neighborhood. There's got to be a nice way to convey that to your mom without hurting her feelings. Just tell her it's "new school" thinking and hope she wants to be hip and cool and up/in with the times. She probably has no idea it's not cool.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Jun 11 2007, 09:35 AM
Lain, I think it's an "old school" (as the kids call it) thing. In the olden days, we thought nothing of just stopping by but nowadays, I always call first, even if I'm sitting in front of their house because I was in the neighborhood. There's got to be a nice way to convey that to your mom without hurting her feelings. Just tell her it's "new school" thinking and hope she wants to be hip and cool and up/in with the times. She probably has no idea it's not cool.
I think so too, Granny.

She did say she figured we'd be up since we have the granddaughter every Friday night. I told her that was not always the case and depending on the schedule we could have been in bed. She gave me one of these so hopefully, she won't show up so early next time.

She is great about being an extra set of hands when I have the grandkids, but sometimes the visits last a little long..... Other times she has called or emailed about coming by and I'll give her a time frame that works with the day's plans. That works well.

I know she's just lonely, so I'd have a hard time talking to her about it. Instead I talk/vent to you guys and my sisters.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 AM

Yes, I call every time. Do onto others as you would want them to do onto you.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 AM

I always call first or at least make sure they know in advance that we are coming. That includes parents and bother/sisters. They all live a distance away, so us just showing up is highly unlikely.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Since she's an early riser, you'll have to switch to 'nooner's.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jun 11 2007, 10:41 AM
Since she's an early riser, you'll have to switch to 'nooner's.
Yeah, well here's another story on THAT subject.

One Sunday AM, let's just say we ignored the ringing telephone. Shortly after we heard a key turn in the lock and someone coming into the house.

It was Dad. He worked as a meat cutter and had brought me something I had ordered. Since he called and we weren't home...........he stopped by and let himself in with his key.

A few minutes earlier and it would have been VERY

Quick Reply: Unannounced Visiting