S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Changing the oil

Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Changing the oil

Given some of the nonsense around here this week, I thought I'd start a car maintenance thread. I hoping certain people don't look for ways to make this a political discussion.

Anyway, fall is oil change season for me. I like to get the BMW and the S2000 done at the same time. The S will go into storage for the winter, but will be already to go in the spring. The BMW will be ready for winter duty as I will also change over to the dreaded snow tires.

I enjoy the oil change. It is a good opportunity to get under the hood and under the car. I usually spend some time checking all the other fluids, picking leaves and twigs out of the crevices, cleaning up some of the gunk that has formed over the year, and generally looking to see if there is anything that could turn into a problem. Some people brag about how fast they can perform an oil change. What's the hurry? Last time I checked, none of us were doing pit stops in NASCAR or F1. I say spend some time with your car and look around.

Happy wrenching everyone.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm due too Bill. End of season maintenance. Do you have a lift?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Don't mention the color of the oil,Bill... ...Mine was Purple...Royal.

The S was done last week-end;oil and filter changed,silicone on the rubber boots,washed and waxed,Lexol on the interior,Shin-Etsu on all the rubber seals,303 on the top,pumped tire press.to 45 p.s.i.drove it on 2" foam blocks,battery tender on,put the cover on,and...wait for May 1st.
This week-end,oil and filter changed,winter tires installed on the M.-B.

Let it snow...
Old 11-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Snow here on the Ohio North Coast today. Boat went in a barn at the fairgrounds this morning; camper goes tomorrow. I hope to leave the S2000 out for the next month or so but... She'll go in my garage with the weight off the tires. Oil change seems the thing to do since the maintenance minder says I'm down to 30% oil life and it ain't that expensive. Transmission and Differential done in August.

-- Chuck
Old 11-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

S2000 done but it was a cold and rainy day and I gave in to temptation and stopped in at the local oil change place Hey there was no line up and I watched them very closely

BUT. I will change the oil on the other Honda myself
Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Headchef
I'm due too Bill. End of season maintenance. Do you have a lift?

I wish I did, but I can never make up my mind about which one to get. I use a jack and jack stands.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Don't mention the color of the oil,Bill... ...Mine was Purple...Royal.

The S was done last week-end;oil and filter changed,silicone on the rubber boots,washed and waxed,Lexol on the interior,Shin-Etsu on all the rubber seals,303 on the top,pumped tire press.to 45 p.s.i.drove it on 2" foam blocks,battery tender on,put the cover on,and...wait for May 1st.
This week-end,oil and filter changed,winter tires installed on the M.-B.

Let it snow...

Emil, I got into a lot more than I bargained for. I have already drained the brake fluid and flushed the fronts, drained the oil, and drained the tranny fluid. I just ran into a roadblock. My transfer pump isn't working. Back to the auto parts store.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Snow here on the Ohio North Coast today. Boat went in a barn at the fairgrounds this morning; camper goes tomorrow. I hope to leave the S2000 out for the next month or so but... She'll go in my garage with the weight off the tires. Oil change seems the thing to do since the maintenance minder says I'm down to 30% oil life and it ain't that expensive. Transmission and Differential done in August.

-- Chuck

I think my diff is good. I don't have the Honda fluid, so it really doesn't matter. I won't put in anything else in the diff. The tranny is a different story.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE
S2000 done but it was a cold and rainy day and I gave in to temptation and stopped in at the local oil change place Hey there was no line up and I watched them very closely

BUT. I will change the oil on the other Honda myself

I'm still buying the genuine Honda filters, so that keeps me out of the Jiffy Lubes of the world. I don't think it really makes any difference, but it makes me feel better.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

^^
Same here,oem Honda filter;tranny and diff.were done last May;Red Line MT-90 for the tranny,and Amsoil 75-140 for the diff.

Quick Reply: Changing the oil