S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What Memorial day means to me.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

https://themilitantnegro.com/2016/05...es-may-1-1865/
Old 05-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Another grade school drop out? Obviously wasn't paying attention. Heck, even Wiki knows better. Memorial Day is to honor those killed in the nations wars, not those who merely served.

All gave some. Some gave all. It's about those who gave all.

-- Chuck
Then why did you say it aint about dead veterans either. BTW Einstein it should be isn't not ain't.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Chuck seems to feel the need to "educate" us yearly on this. Last year I posted how my +1 and I had cleaned up around the gravesite of a WWI veteran and planted flowers on Memorial Day, and Chuck's. 02 was given as the to error of my ways in honoring this veteran (on Memorial Day) who did not die in the war

This may be the official meaning: a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered, traditionally observed on May 30 but now officially observed on the last Monday in May, however, if all veterans have flags placed on their gravesites on Memorial Day I see no issue in honoring ALL those who served.
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
WTF are you talking about. "It's not about dead veterans", then tell us what the f--k it is about.
This jerk pulled the same crap in my Corner thread of the same subject. Stay out of my thread, you jerk! You're not wanted here. Go away! (Not you, Ray.)

Last edited by The Raptor; 05-29-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Well, the day is obviously not so narrowly focused as it perhaps once was. I'm not unhappy about that. Anytime we honor veterans, whether they be dead or alive, is fine by me. On that note, there were a few WWII vets present and singled out at the Nats game yesterday by telling their stories. One threw out the first pitch. It really brought some tears to my eyes, remembering my dad and others.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Times change. Otherwise Memorial Day would still be called Decoration Day. It wasn't that long ago people in the service were disrespected, so paying them honor more than once a year shouldn't be condemned but appreciated. It goes without saying that those who paid with their lives gave all.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Chuck seems to feel the need to "educate" us yearly on this. Last year I posted how my +1 and I had cleaned up around the gravesite of a WWI veteran and planted flowers on Memorial Day, and Chuck's. 02 was given as the to error of my ways in honoring this veteran (on Memorial Day) who did not die in the war

This may be the official meaning: a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered, traditionally observed on May 30 but now officially observed on the last Monday in May, however, if all veterans have flags placed on their gravesites on Memorial Day I see no issue in honoring ALL those who served.
Originally Posted by dlq04
Times change. Otherwise Memorial Day would still be called Decoration Day. It wasn't that long ago people in the service were disrespected, so paying them honor more than once a year shouldn't be condemned but appreciated. It goes without saying that those who paid with their lives gave all.
Memorial Day honors our war dead, but it is about all veterans and current military members and all Americans that celebrate honoring our war dead on that day. It is about those seven soldiers who fired the 21 gun salute before the green flag at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and all those who removed their hats and placed them over their hearts during the singing of the National Anthem yesterday.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 1,109 Likes on 989 Posts

I second what Lainey said.

~ ~ Dave
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Raptor
This jerk pulled the same crap in my Corner thread of the same subject. Stay out of my thread, you jerk! You're not wanted here. Go away! (Not you, Ray.)
Thanks, Like they say once an a--hole always an a--hole. BTW did he serve??
Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey

Bingo, and how about those that did not perish who came back with missing limbs, lifelong injuries, blindness PTSD, etc.

Quick Reply: What Memorial day means to me.