S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What's your current fancy?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of training at work, including a Data Sciences Certification for Big Data, major new projects at work, keeping in touch with friends and family via Facebook, learning my 370Z and getting it prepped for the drive to Hood River and back, and getting ready for our 1st grandchild due in a month. Whew!

I try to get by here at least once a week. Sometimes more.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I did a yard project where i put thick vinyl boarders around the garden areas creating raised beds for a Hostas garden. We also had to raise the lawn level due to the paving 2 years ago.
If you want some more hosta plants, Jerry/MA, then stop by the next time u r near Philly.

We have at least 1,000 of them and they reproduce like rabbits

It's also one of the few things that the deer don't eat in our yard....
Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah Patty, the forum has been "dead" for years now. I blame politics for a lot of the decline in this forum. We never should have started political discussions IMHO. It caused a lot of conflicts and drove many people away.

I moved on to boating and fishing forums. We all share common goals and work together to fish off-shore for tuna, wahoo, mahi and other pelagic species. We started a real world group and talk by e-mail and in person at local bars. It is wonderful to have a group of people of different ages that are all focussed on the same thing. Last week I took two guys fishing with me that I barely knew. Now we know a lot about each other.

I also participate in the Britishcarforums site. Good people there as well.

Last point; the young people on this site used to be young professionals who were interested in the car but also interested in getting together and attending meets. Now that the cars are 14 years old, a lot of the younger folks are interested in stupid mods and have not interest in going to the kind of meets I like. They meet up in parking lots and do… nothing. Just not my thing.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

So - - how was fishing? When we went up north recently to fish it was the worst week ever!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I haven't moved on so much as opted out for the most part. Many of the core people who made this forum successful have left (for whatever reason). We originally connected online, then met in person. That is how I formed some lasting friendships. This site was not so much about the car for me, but about those connections. Once they disappeared (and weren't replaced with new ones), a lot of my interest disappeared, too. A big turning point came once the site changed ownership and format. The new format was a mess for awhile and quite a bit different. A big turnoff. I think that was the catalyst for many to leave who hadn't already. I don't necessarily agree with LB that political discussions were a big factor. I personally ignored most of them. It probably is unreasonable to expect a forum that has been around for more than 10 years to remain viable. So I prefer to have great memories of what it was and the people who made it happen for me.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Beyond the first few years on the forums I have never been a heavy poster. Last few years I've had a lot of other things that had my attention.

I do still have a great time going to event such as Spring Fling. I also lurk but being such an infrequent poster sometimes hesitate to add my input sometimes since as an infrequent poster don't think it is always appropriate to add my input. An example being the current poll for then next SF in 2015, I have not voted nor have I added my preference since I feel that those who are more active should have more of a say. BTW, I'll try to attend no matter where it is.

I've met some really great people and friends here and hope the forum continues.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

I still check in here several times a day to see what/who's going on, but as Lainey noted on FB, I just haven't been posting very much lately. Same on FB.

Patty, I haven't a current fancy other than the cars and my flying buddies. Guess we need a new dog in the house, since things just don't seem the same around here without him. Daisy the cat is doing her best dog imitation to fill in, but it's not quite the same.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Gene, you need a dog. What are you waiting for - just do it.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Gene, you need a dog. What are you waiting for - just do it.
We've already talked to the rescue representative about this. Have to wait until after September, due to travel plans, before we can adopt.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Since Titan is our first AKC registered pooch we get a lot of mailing about shows etc.
I'm toying with the idea of taking him to a few shows.
Of course I know he'll lose since he is a Pied or Piebald, i.e. has some white splashes on his feet.
that and he'd probably poop on their show floor.

Quick Reply: What's your current fancy?