S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Your first date with your loved one

Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your first date with your loved one

Anyone got a great story on their first date with their true love?

Here is mine. It was a blind date set up by my sister. She offered me two different gals who might be interested in a date to their Home Coming at the public High School. I was a freshman in college. So I selected a girl and my sister called her up, but because it was a Saturday she could not go dancing, it was against her religion. So I got to go with my second choice. I met her parents on Friday night and we said hi. That Saturday, her mom sewed a dress for her to go on the date. It was a really cool dress, feathers everywhere. For me I wore my skin tight cordoroy pants, a tan color, with my dad's green sportscoat. I had some cash and an ton of change which I stuffed into my pockets. At the Home Coming, we danced and we chatted and had a good time. After the dance was over we tripled to a resturant in Portland Maine, The Sportsman's Grill, might even still be there. It was my sister and her date, her brother and his date, and me and my date. It was a little tight with 4 of us in the back seat but we made do. At the resturant we had a great time, eating and laughing. At the end of the meal we paid in cash and barely had enough to pay the tab, but I had a lot of change to leave for a tip, 5 or 6 bucks (it was over 35 years ago). I reached into my pocket, grabbed the change and attempted to pull it all out. My hand was stuck because the pants were so tight. I kept pulling but without success. Then suddenly my hand came loose but my fist opened up and we had a shower of nickles, dimes, quarters flying everywhere. It was hilarious. But I thought, OK, she thinks I am a doufus and I would never see her again because I thought she was embarresed. I dropped her of at home, shook her hand and said good nite.
I went back to school. The next month was Thanksgiving and there was a big TG dance at St. John's hall. I went kinda hoping to see her again and hoping that she would not laugh. About half way through the nite, she showed up. I asked her to dance and she started to tell me how much fun she had at her Home Coming. I thought OK! YES! So we dance an hour or so and I mentioned that I had my Dad's car and that we should go out to eat. She consented and we went out to a burger van "Rapid Ray's" they made the best burgers and put on a fabulous show. We got our burgers went back to the car and ate our food. At that point I was feeling pretty good and wanted to show off a bit about how well I could drive and knew my way around. I ended up on some school's walkway and said this is the way out. I stepped on the gas and ended up driving/flying over a curb, OH boy, that was impressive, last time she will ride with me.
She laughed so hard and enjoyed the ride and burger. I took her home, this time kissed her and she said we should get together again. The rest is history as we have been married for 34 years this year and we still enjoy burgers.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmm, it's Friday the 13th and you start a thread about your wife?!?

I started dating my future S.O. to make my "real" girlfriend mad.

My "real" girlfriend and I had been dating off and on for about 4 years. We just didn't seem to be getting anywhere so when the new girl showed up and my Real GF started taking verbal jabs at her, I thought that I'd go out with the new girl (which I had paid zero attention to up to this point) just to make my Real GF jealous.

New Girl showed up at a church social in the park one Sunday evening after church and the pastor introduced us (I found out later New Girl'd asked him to make the intro). I showed her my watermelon seed spitting techniques (always impressive to the opposite sex) and asked her out just for spite.

It worked in that it DID make my GF mad. It didn't work in the sense that me and my Real GF went on to the next level. That is unless you call her breaking up with me and dating a guy I hated.

One thing led to another and a year later we were married. That was 1969 and we are still married.

Boy the preacher who married us was right when he said for better or worse!

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't really say anything about our first date.

I took her to the Italian Inn in Downtown Dallas. They had very intimate booths with doors that closed and the tables had real chianti bottles with real melted candles in them. Classy!

The walls were rough plywood and were plastered with names and dates of couples that had been there before us. It just so happened that I had my name on the walls more than once. I thought that would impress her almost as much as my seed spittin' techniques.

I was a real one trick pony. With the exception of my Real GF I never had multiple dates with many girls so I just went with what seemed to work before. You know, when I think about my level of suaveness I am really impressed than ANYONE ever went out with me!

Afterward we went out to see the Odd Couple movie. That should have been a sign.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Kathy and my first date was..........the Senior Prom We were both chubby and socially backward Our homeroom busybody asked me if I was going to the prom: I said "No". Then she asked Kathy if she was going? "No". So..........she asked me why I didn't invite Kathy

What else could I do
Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

POSTSCRIPT:

My wife just reminded be of a postscript to our first date.

The Italian Inn was a landmark in the Dallas dating scene for years but since it was in downtown Dallas which is basically a deserted area after 5, it was finally closed.

Unbeknownst to us the family that owned the restaurant saved all those signed sheets of plywood from the booths and reopened in Richardson in 1998.

In 1999 on our 30th wedding anniversary we went back there to celebrate.

When we closed the doors to the booth and discovered all the names we searched and lo and behold there was my name - with another girl.

Oh well!

There were quite a few, now famous names on those walls
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Okay... my turn.

Back in my senior year at Worcerter State College MA I was co-editor of the newspaper. On 30 October 1971, George McGovern was holding a press conference for college newspapers at the Pru in Boston. I hitched a ride from Southbridge to Worcester and took the bus into Boston and met a friend and we went to lunch near the Harvard Coop. Afterwards, hHe went to his apartment and I went to the press conference. I had about a dollar and a half left. My plan was to see if I'd meet anyone I knew who'd be going back to Worceater. Failing that, I'd stay with my friend overnight and hitch a ride back home in the morning.

I walked into the room as this super looking girl in a green suit with a short skirt and great long legs walked in. The woman in charge looked at the girl and suggested she serve the coffee. (hey, it was 1971!) So, she starts to fill a cup but had placed the spigot in the lock position and I quickly undid it. She sat behind me and I learned she went to school in Greenfield and lived in Belchertown. A She remembers a blond sitting next to me and thought I'd be bowled over. Well, I'd decided I'd ask the girl in green if she could drop me off near Worcester on her way home and I'd beg a ride the rest of the way with friends who hung out at the coffee house every Saturday.

We almost lost each other but I caught up to her and begeed the ride which she provided in her metallic red Corvair Corsair. I nearly got us lost trying to find the Pike out of Boston (hey, it was 1971!) but directed her to drive due west parallel to the Pike. Eventually, we found a entrance.

Before dropping me off in Auburn, we exchanged addresses. We corresponded for a couple weeks before I went out to see her. She took me to see her school and to the Quabbin. I left with a handshake and went to a Tom Rush concert back at my school. (Dumbarse, I should have asked her to go! But, hey, it was 1971.)

We went out a second time the day after Thanksgiving, (the Thanksving of the blizzard) and I took her to some of the sites in Worcester. We ate at Friendly's on Highland Street then went to see The French Connection downtown. When I took her home, we did a bit more than shake hands.

We were married on 5 August 1972. We chose that date because it didn't interfere with a Tom Rush concert in the Berkshires.

Still going strong.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Memory lane...
On June-17-2007,it was our 40 th wedding anniversary...Ren
Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

We met at a singles bar that was a hot spot back in the early 80's. It was on a Friday the 13th and we married one year later to the date. Two of the things that we agreed on on the night we met:

1. If one was over the age of thirty in the Washington, DC Metro area and have never been married people think that you are weird. Neither one of us had been married before and where both over the age of thirty (I guess that explains a lot about us).

2. We both agreed that we must be missing the "procreation gene" because neither of us had any desire to have children. We shook on the philosophy that for what it cost one to raise a child one could have a Ferrari. And at least with the Ferrari if one does NOT like it, they can sell it.

And, as they say the rest is history.

P.S. BTW, I never did get the Ferrari?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Well, I can't call him my true love since we will probably be getting divorced, but as of last Saturday, we've been married for 23 years.

The first time he showed interest in me was when I was walking down the street with some neighborhood friends, and he came up to me on his Stingray bicycle, and said, "Do you want a ride on my bike?" I was thinking, "Yeah, right! What a dweeb. Where would I even sit?" We were both in 9th grade at the time.

Our first date was in the summer of 1974, when we were both between 11th grade and 12th grade. He lived down the street and we had the same homeroom for 7th to 9th grade. Our first date, we went to a drive in movie and when he kissed me I hated it. My whole face felt wet. We didn't go out again for a long time. The first time I dug him was when he invited me to go watch him race his dirt bike at Indian Dunes. I guess I fell for the motorcycles too. We ended up going to the Prom together too.

I know I've posted these before but they fit here.

^May 1975.

^May 1975.

^Late 1970s.

^Sometime in late 70s. He raced the car. It always broke or he flipped it.

^July 7, 1984.

^July 2, 2007. Yosemite, CA. The day my Suzuka's differential started howling.

I don't want to put a damper on this thread but will throw this out there...
We had lots of fun times over the years and raised two great kids. We are friends today. But at this point in time, we both are looking towards the next 40 years and don't think we want to spend them together any more. No hard feelings. He has been moved out for 9 months and we are both happy apart.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 AM

[QUOTE=Matt_in_VA,Jul 13 2007, 09:02 PM]
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Well, I have two significant first dates - . I'll post them in chronological order.

1. The ex and I met in 1971 at my sister's second wedding reception (she's on number three now - the last I think, but I digress...). He was actually there more to see another woman (my sis's SIL and married), with whom he was having an affair, I found out later (that Latin blood at work). Anywho, someone had told him to take care of me, so I suppose he did. Teehee...We got pretty smashed (I lost one of my contacts that night in my drunken state and didn't even know it wasn't in my eye until I went to remove it, but I digress...). My bro (who was in better shape) drove us in the ex's father's car to get coffee. To this day, we don't remember exactly where the coffee place was. But the impression was made and we progressed from there, getting married a year later and staying that way for 24 years. We parted friends and are still close.

2. The Hunkster (pic at left) and I met via Match. I had been living on my own, dating and having fun (with a couple of longer relationships) for some years and wasn't necessarily looking to settle down. He was going through a pretty rough split from his ex and had only been in the DC area and dating for about three months. He was totally against the Match idea, but gave it a try. He initiated the contact. We met at a pool hall at my suggestion, played some pool and checked each other out. Having been an old dating hand, if my vibes were not great on the first date, there wasn't a second one. Well, my vibes were so-so, but strong enough to see him again. I could tell he was really interested. He always teases me that I only let him kiss me on the cheek that night. (I made up for that on the second date, but I digress...) He turned out to be the most wonderful guy ever. We cancelled our Match subscriptions soon thereafter. We've been together two and a half years, living together for one and a half. He's a doll, and my parents and everyone else are crazy about him. His big Italian family has welcomed me, also, and his kids and I get along well.

Quick Reply: Your first date with your loved one