S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Getting a deep gloss back after polishing

Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a deep gloss back after polishing

This applies to my other vehicle but, it seems like after polishing, even with a low abbrasive product like SSR1 or Meguiars SMR my paint gets hazed. Its swirl free, but reflections are not as sharp as before.

I want to polish my S2K that I recently bought, but if its going to lose that deep, sharp reflection I rather live with the little swirls it has. Anyone else with a PC have this problem?

Im pretty sure I broke down the abrasive as I polished until it dried. Anyone have any ideas? Bad pad? I use Excel detail PC pads, which a lot of members on autopia use. I can take the swirls out, but can't get that sharp reflection back. I'm wondering if I have to follow with a glaze of some sort, but since I use zaino I like to leave it bare.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSR 1 - does not haze. I use it all the time. Out of that series only SSR3 hazes. If it is, you may be using too much product. or too low of speed of you pc ?

what speed on your pc ?

Which Meg's SMR ?

step me through detail steps and we'll be able to help you better..

Pics are needed.

I never had any problems when using SSR1 AS MY last compound, then AIO, and straight to the sealant..

Old 09-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Former Moderator

What color pads?

Some products need to be broken down until they just start to dust. If they are fully dried you've gone too far.

SSR1 should take out haze from more abrasive products, not haze the paint itself. I've used SSR1 with a white pad.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good questions above- i would just add a couple:

did you polish the entire car before removing the polish? (or did you do it in sections?)- i think its best to polish in sections

did you use the pc for the removal (if so, with what on the pad)? if not, what did you use?

sometimes it helps to spray the dried polish with water mist- remove the section that you sprayed like this and you should see a new car! if its still hazy, continue polishing it.

to answer your question about a glaze, it might make sense cause it has oils in it, but again dont want to conclude until we have more info.

you will be able to get your car to a better than new condition- but be patient and give us more info!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:58 PM

I polish in sectons, and do it to the point where it starts to powder. I think I have my technique down. Speed on PC is 5 or 6, no pressure, pads correspond to the abbrasive. With SSR1 I'll probably use a finishing pad or one step up.

Its weird, it has a deep gloss at angles, but reflections such as car headlights or a bright flashlight make it look dull. Can you guys check yours too? Do you get a sharp glossy clean reflection or is it just glossy with hazy reflection?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:00 AM

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.p...=29307&pd=97898
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.p...=29307&pd=97900

I use those pads with SSR1 at 5, wipe off with MF.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:33 AM

Just out of curiosity, did you use the pad more than expect. If so then change the pad and see if there's any difference, same thing happened to me awhile back but I'd quickly found the problem which was the pad. Found that wiping it off was hard, couldn't get the product completely off the car so I had to back the S out of the garage and wash the whole car over and that cleared it out. Hope this helps...
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by estukaye,Sep 20 2005, 12:06 AM
This applies to my other vehicle but, it seems like after polishing, even with a low abbrasive product like SSR1 or Meguiars SMR my paint gets hazed. Its swirl free, but reflections are not as sharp as before.
Get the new Zaino PC Fusion Paint Cleanser and Swirl Mark Remover...it is awesome. You can apply it by hand or with an orbital. Buff it in until the product disappears...no need to wash afterwards...just go over the car with Z-6 to remove any residue/dust then apply Z-2 Pro w/ZFX. The results are amazing!
Old 09-25-2005, 06:08 AM
Former Moderator

Just one comment about ZPC. I recently did complete swirl removal on my car. I used Optimum polish and got it looking real good with exceptional depth and clarity. I thought the ZPC would finish off the paint and make it look even better. What happened is that the ZPC side of the hood ended up looking sort of cloudy with not as much depth and clarity. I had to go back over the area with Optimum Polish to get the awesome appearance back. I have since tried ZPC with some other combos like Meg's #83, #80, #82. Same thing happened.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Sep 25 2005, 02:08 PM] Just one comment about ZPC.

Quick Reply: Getting a deep gloss back after polishing