S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser

Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser

Manufacturer's Product Description:
Today's vehicles utilize a variety of specialized materials, which is why Meguiar's Safe D-Grease has been specially formaulted to reduce the possibility of staining exterior surfaces. Designed to quickly break down grease and grime on engines, tires and fender wells, Safe D-Greaser is ideally suited for today's fast paced, high volume shops.

Price: $14.95 (PremiumAutoCare.com) for 1 gallon

Packaging Info:
I bought the 1 gallon size container pictured above. The container is very akward to pour from especially when full. A good deal of the product would run down the side of the bottle during pouring even though a funnel was used. So, I added an anti-freeze bottle spout from Pep Boys ($2.99) as I do with all my large bottles. This prevented any further spillage and gives me better control over the amount of liquid being poured. Megs Detailer products are also available in 5 gallon containers.

Color/Scent:
Safe D-Greaser is bright yellow and has a very "clean" smell. I wouldn't necessarily describe the smell as pleasant, but it's not really offensive either. I've definitely worked with degreasers that smell much, much worse.

How I used it:
The Safe D-Greaser was diluted 5:1 in a 32 oz. spray bottle bought from Lowe's. I used the cleaner on tires, wheel wells, the engine bay, and plastic/rubber trim along the bottom edge of a car. I basically sprayed the cleaner on, let it dwell for a minute or so, and then scrubbed with a plastic bristled brush, toothbrush, or brass bristled brush (tires only) if possible. Finally, the area was rinsed thoroughly with water from a garden hose.

Thoughts:
I really liked Safe D-Greaser. As the manufacturer claims it did not turn rubber or plastic parts grey/white and was a very effective cleaner/degreaser. In fact, I found that well cared for rubber/plastic treated with the Safe D-Greaser maintained its look even after cleaning. These pieces were still dark black and glossy despite being degreased. Safe D-Greaser really excelled in every area of the car I used it on. I particularly felt it was great for black rubber/plastic pieces along the bottom of the car's body. Safe D-Greaser did an awesome job cleaning all these pieces and gave them a nice black look.

Safe D-Greaser is also extremely economical. 1 concentrated gallon is about $15 and diluting at 5:1 should stretch out the gallon container quite a bit.

I also have the Megs APC from the detailer line, but after using both a few times I feel that the Safe D-Greaser is a more effective cleaner in the dirtiest areas of the car which is where I have been using it.

Here are some pictures of a recent engine detail I did last Friday with Safe D-Greaser and CD2 Engine Detailer.

Before:

After:
Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now thats a complete analysis!!
great review mikeyc...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great review, mikey! Quick question for you...when you say diluted 5:1 do you mean 5 parts water and one part Degreaser or vice versa? Anyhow, thanks again for the review - you continue to be a valuable resource on this board
Old 03-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Mar 13 2006, 08:59 PM
great review, mikey! Quick question for you...when you say diluted 5:1 do you mean 5 parts water and one part Degreaser or vice versa? Anyhow, thanks again for the review - you continue to be a valuable resource on this board
Yes, 5:1 means 5 parts water to 1 part concentrate. Also, thanks for the kind words. Detailing cars and talking about detailing are some of my favorite things to do. So, I get to help people out and have a good time too!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 AM

Has this product been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere, including the Meguiar's site.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,May 11 2007, 09:58 AM
Has this product been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere, including the Meguiar's site.
Try here
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,May 11 2007, 10:58 AM
I couldn't find it on Meguiar's website either. I wonder if it is discontinued. 1 gallon of concentrate should last me a LONG time though.