S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

NFR looks cloudy at some angles

Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NFR looks cloudy at some angles

I have an 04 NFR with 14000 miles on the clock. Always garage kept. I noticed some swirls in the paint recently and used some NXT 2.0 Meguires. Worked great. The swirls are pretty much gone. All that remains is a cloudiness in the paint at some angles under the flourecsent lights of my garage. Mostly on the hood. What is this and how can I get rid of it? Is there a hand applied product I can use? Driving me crazy.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either you put more swirls in there (marring/holograms could be the cloudiness) or you didn't buff off the NXT throroughly enough. Go over it with a quick detailer and see if it helps any.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM

First thing, the NXT did not remove the swirls; it's only hiding them temporarily. If you want to remove the swirls, you will have to remove them through abrasive polishing.

Second, if the cloudiness you mentioned only appeared after you applied the NXT, then it's likely either you (a) applied NXT too thickly, (b) did not give it sufficient time to dry (NXT typically requires 30+ minutes), or both. My guess is that if you re-apply a thin coat, allow it plenty of time to dry, and then buff off, you'll see the cloudiness disappear. Better yet, apply a thin coat of Cleaner Wax or ColorX, allow it to haze, buff off, and then apply a thin coat of NXT, etc. The Cleaner Wax will remove any residue left behind by your first application of NXT and will prepare the surface for a fresh topping of NXT.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by akimel,May 18 2010, 10:16 PM
First thing, the NXT did not remove the swirls; it's only hiding them temporarily. If you want to remove the swirls, you will have to remove them through abrasive polishing.

Second, if the cloudiness you mentioned only appeared after you applied the NXT, then it's likely either you (a) applied NXT too thickly, (b) did not give it sufficient time to dry (NXT typically requires 30+ minutes), or both. My guess is that if you re-apply a thin coat, allow it plenty of time to dry, and then buff off, you'll see the cloudiness disappear. Better yet, apply a thin coat of Cleaner Wax or ColorX, allow it to haze, buff off, and then apply a thin coat of NXT, etc. The Cleaner Wax will remove any residue left behind by your first application of NXT and will prepare the surface for a fresh topping of NXT.
Yes. You would be correct. The wax was applied too thick and was only allowed about 3-4 mins. too haze up. I was working with a friend who was helping me, who thinks he know more than he does. I kept telling him to back down on the thickness, but again, he know more tham I do. I will try what you suggested. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchase some Zaino AIO to get rid of the swirls. It is easily applied and removed by hand.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Picked up some Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax. Applied it to my car and the results are phenominal. Cloudiness is gone, swirls are still gone and the paint is shiny, lucid and oh so deep. Very impressed with this product. Also applied it to our white Mountaineer that was washed 3 days ago and in a couple of rain showers. Again, super easy to apply and the results are great. Highly recommend this product for a quick and easy shine. Not sure how long it will last, but it goes on and off so easy, you could do it every other wash, so who really cares?