S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

"?"Question about rock chips...

Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my kit... will try soon as it stops raining for more than a couple days.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM

yeah I know. It looks like we will be getting rain til this sat. Good thing my S is away for the winter. Def let us know how it goes with before and after pics of the big chips/scratches just too see how efficient this stuff is. Thanks.

Mike
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM

I don't really have any big chips/scratches but I have a crapload of road rash which this stuff was supposedly made for.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow... i'm interested in this product too... the dumbasses at the body shop tried to touch up my rock chips and miserably failed... they left scratch marks around it from when they tried to sand down the paint... really disappointed and looking for a reasonable fix
Old 11-16-2006, 07:38 AM

up for update
Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Just tried it today... had some problems removing the excess colorfill. There is definately a learning curve involved with this product. I've currently contacted their support to see how I should proceed.

Prior to using the colorfill I was told I could use a mixture of 50/50 rubbing alcohol to water to prep the surface... initially I was using too little colorfill and the tiny chips weren't getting filled, so I upped the quantity, but when I went to remove using the FTC compound it left a whole bunch of hazing (similiar to wax) which was very difficult to remove. Near the end I just stopped since I felt I was scratching due to the pressure.

During the application process, it definately seemed like a good majority of the chips were getting filled and disappearing before my eyes, but the removal process really uglied up the surface and hopefully there is a good resolution. I read on their site that you can just buff off using a PC after letting the paint cure for a week, so hopefully someone will get back to me soon from touchup123.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:21 PM

That is definitely hazed. Do you have any close ups of the chips before & after? I'm curious about the filling abilities of the product.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 PM

The sun was already down when I was trying to buff off the haze without luck. I was planning on taking pictures before starting but the sun was creeping down on me. A squadron of enemy fighters found their target just before I was planning on starting which caused me to delay another hour by washing again. The support guy said:

1. that he has never seen such a problem before (very nice to hear by the way)

2. said he would just remove it whatever way I can... ie via PC with polish/compound

3. said he would give me a 50% discount on my next purchase =p

The process itself sounds easier than it was. I think if I had experience doing a bunch of these touchups it would have been easy, but for a first timer... it was definately a learning experience. During the colorfill stage, you can definately see the majority of the chips getting filled in and it looks much better, but for me when I had to use the removal solution, it didn't work out too well.

Also, the colorfill pretty much feels like regular touchup paint and dries just as fast. It's sort of hard to spread that around if you get my drift. They also send you what looks like blue shop towels (the ones that come in a roll) to spread the stuff onto your car.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 PM

So are you going to give it another try then?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:34 PM

Yes, most definately. I honestly think I just overapplied the colorfill. I think the process is definately better than langka (least my chips didn't turn translucent =p). Soon as it turns daylight tomorrow, I'm going to try and remove the rest of that colorfill using the 1/4 bottle of FTC I have left. If that fails, I'm going to just PC it off. The guy said using a PC will probably pull it all out though, so trying to leave that for last resort.

If you guys are definately looking into doing this, test it on a small spot and practice =p. Don't go gung-ho like I did

Quick Reply: "?"Question about rock chips...