S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Removing creases from leather

Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing creases from leather

The search function is not working for me, so I thought I'd try a post...

I recently purchased a used Rick's leather console cover, and it has creases and lines in the leather where the previous owner's radio door and his center console pushed down on the leather. When installed, these lines should but do not match my radio door and center console... so...

How do i smooth out this leather cover or how do i smooth out leather in general? I've heard things from using a teflon ironing shoe to steaming it... Does anyone here know? Thanks a lot.

Dan
Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dan- we have a leather expert...
i will send him this link so we can get his thoughts
Old 12-12-2005, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Wanabe...

Well you are correct Dan, its all about heating the leather up and shrinking it to get the lines out. However this can be an extremely delicate process.

1. You do not want to burn the leather surface as it can change colors and get darker.

2. You do not want to shrink the leather itself, it will look like to hit it with a cigarette.

3. You don't want to saturate out the leather with any liquids as this speeds up the shrinking process.

So...you have a few options, you could use the iron over the teflon paper, that does seem to work. It is probably the safer way for you do do it. The way we do it is with a heat gun, we put it on the brink of burning and shrink it almost instantly. You have to be extremely cautious with this method, hence I will not recommend it in your case.

If you have a hand steamer that may work, just don't saturate out the leather. This method is pretty safe. Next would be the teflon paper and the iron, then the heat gun.

The steamer is fairly self explanatory. Just put it on there and then dry the area so the water does not build up.

Teflon paper, set it on the area and go over with the iron only a couple of times, then stop, let it cool and repeat. Make sure not to hit any plastic as it will melt...

All that being said, if you took it to a professional, it would take minutes and cost you next to nothing and you would be safe...I am not sure we know of anyone in Atlanta, but I will check.

Sean
Old 12-12-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks wanabe and sean for the info. And I'm actually in Pittsburgh, PA I guess I should update my profile... do you know of anyone in Pittsburgh? Thanks again. Although if you say it's pretty safe to do so, I'll try my steamer.

Do I steam the front (treated side) or the back or does it matter?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 PM

we do have someone in PA, I can get that info for you tomorrow...

As for the steam, to stretch leather it is normally applied to both sides, for this purpose I would try the top first and be very careful with the back, it is much easier to mess up...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mean to hijack....but... Is there any way to freshen up my leather seats? The woman who owned the car before me had a big ass and apparently sat on the side of the seat and slid down into it everytime. There are creases and some of the color came off where it was rubbing together. Thanx in advance!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM

Hey Slidin,

Well the color that came off was most likely the finish wearing off and the creases and shine that have developed are also signs of wear. Your best bet is to get the seats refinished/lightly refinished before it is too late and you get a hole or the leather starts breaking down because it is exposed to the elements. Having your seats done shouldn't cost much and will greatly extend their life. Just an an FYI - refinishing should be under $200, well under. New seat covers start around $450.00 each.

Where are you located, I may know of someone that can help...

In the meantime, I would have to recommend using the Finished Leather Cleaner and then the Conditioner and Protector, they will remove the surface contaminants and then at least slow down the wear process by creating a protective barrier against further wear and soiling.

Hope this helps...check out the thread in my signature, it is a decent guide as well. Long, but many say worth the read.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick question

will the Teflon paper work over "pleather" or blends of leather as well ?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 AM

I wouldn't try it...vinyl, pleather, etc. melts very easily and there is a much higher chance of ruining the material.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great info. Can you look for someone in Illinois? I am about 35mi NW of Chicago. Something in the 847 or 630 area code would be fantastic!

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Removing creases from leather