S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Silverstone Unmatchable

Old 06-21-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstone Unmatchable

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my inability to match my MY04 Silverstone while trying to repair some rock chips on my front end using the autovisuals pen. (prior to applying 3M film)
So my lovely new OEM front lip arrived today and I couldn't help myself.. so I installed it immediately (And yes I noticed before I installed it the color didn't match). I also got some factory Silverstone touch up paint to try to re-paint the mismatched rock chip repairs. So after some experimentation I have discovered that my autovisuals pen paint, my factory OEM touch up paint, AND my front lip are all EXACTLY the same color. A color which, by the way, bears ABSOLUTELY NO resemblance to the 'Silverstone Metallic' which covers the entire exterior of my car. My paint is several shades darker and even seems to have a hint of bronzish to it when compared to the new lip.
(Before anyone asks.. Yes I have pics and No, I don't have any way to post them)
I was reading some old posts of Xviper's over in UTH and according to him there are different 'flake' sizes available in this same NH-630M paint -most are the 'medium' and some are the 'large', and he had to get paint specially mixed with the 'large' flakes in order to get his accessories to match.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Paint guys?

I have another theory as well, My silverstone is a mid-year 04 but has 00336 as the last digits of the VIN so I am assuming it was one of the 1st produced after the move to the new production facility last year. Perhaps there was some issue with QC.. altitude? humidity? Bake temp.? who knows, but I do wish I could get a matching touch-up paint.. any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Old 06-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Former Moderator

I'm not sure about Silverstone but the Spa Yellow on my car is a tri-stage paint. The base yellow is applied, then the transparent coat comes next with the pearl/metal flake in it. Then the clear is applied. This process gives a different look to the paint then if you had applied it as a 2 stage (color and metal flake mixed together with clear applied over that). Most touch up paint and pens are 2 stage paints. My yellow one doesn't even come close to the factoy color and it's too thin.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ubetit - isn't that called a candy coat? I'm not up on my paint layering terminology like I should be

Mike - it sounds like the only way you're going to get a true match is to have it custom-mixed. The problem with that is most paint shops will mix a minimum of a pint, I believe, and that'll run you $60-$80... I've got a few touchup spots curing on my car, so we'll see how they look when I finish them up... I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM

I had the same problem with my MY01 Silverastone. OEM lip and touch up are MUCH lighter.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Jun 22 2005, 06:18 PM
Ubetit - isn't that called a candy coat? I'm not up on my paint layering terminology like I should be
Both are technically tri-stages. Similar in that they are both applied in three stages with the clearcoat being last.

Tri-stage has a base color of the color you essentially want. In my case yellow. next comes a translucent paint with pearl in it. Then the clearcoat.

With Candy jobs you have a base coat, usually silver or gold. The next coat is a tinted type of clearcoat. The "candy" is basically in that stage. The tint can be called toner. You can layer the candy stage with mutliple coats. The layering and the base coat are what give this type of paint incredible depth. Different base coats and tints give an unlimited look to the paint. The final coat is the clearcoat.

Of course there are many combinations being done on these painting methods so these two methods can run together. I've seen candy apple green with a white rainbow pearled baseocat.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. From what I hear, the only expert candy coat painter in the area (around DC here) is um.. expensive... Something like $10-15k for his work.

To think that my fiance wants to get a brand new WRX wagon and immediately go out and get it repainted... heh...