San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Anyone AutoCross

Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone AutoCross

I figured I would of seen something about autoXing here. I didn't know there was all these events right in SD. They just came out with a new schedule anyone interested? I am going to try to make it to as many as I can.

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Hey i have autocrossed the S once and i want to get out there again. i know there are a few other people wanting to get out there too. since were all novices we should go on one of the "practice" days rather than a championship day. That way we get more track time and its more of a laid back atmosphere.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run auto-x down at qualcomm. I've been wanting to go again and brush off the rust.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM

I'd like to get into it also
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM

i'm in anytime after july 11
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to Qualcomm every once in a while. I usually only go during the driving schools because you get alot of seat time. YOu only get to ride half the day for the practices...so it's like 4 or 5 runs...then you have to work for like 1.5 hours.

Best way to do it if you like alot of seat time is to go to the Autocross events by Speedventures. You get as many runs as you can squeeze in all day (15-20) and you don't have to work (best part imo lol).

Here's the next one coming up:

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=298
Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 PM

that one is 80 bucks a day! sounds pretty ghetto too, you have to write down your times?

I'm gonna check out Qualcomm on Saturday I'll be there at about 8 so I have time to walk the course before the 1st drivers go if anyone wants to join.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tenpsi,Jun 9 2010, 03:50 PM
that one is 80 bucks a day! sounds pretty ghetto too, you have to write down your times?

I'm gonna check out Qualcomm on Saturday I'll be there at about 8 so I have time to walk the course before the 1st drivers go if anyone wants to join.
$80 a day for possibly up to 20 runs and not working, that's a fair price.

Qualcomm can cost anywhere from $25 to $40. It can cost up to $60 if you are not an SCCA member. You'll get at most 5 or 6 runs, and you'll have to work for a session. It's cheaper and local, but you don't get as much seat time. If there is time at the end of the day, you can purchase extra runs for $5.

Last time I auto-x'ed at Qualcomm, someone handed me a post-it note with my time on it at the end of each lap.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tenpsi,Jun 9 2010, 02:50 PM

wow dude have you ever been autocrossing before? lol

$80 a day for 20+ runs > than $40 a day for 4-5 runs...easy math.

Qualcomm's parking lot is shitty...it's super uneven and they never clean off the rubber chunks from previous autocrosses.
Autoclub Speedway's is highly maintained...it's a professional track.

You have to write down your times for ANY auto cross. They display your time on a big board after you run, and you can either remember it, or write it down. That's better than Qualcomm where they just hand you a slip with your time on it...you dont' actually see the official time on the board.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM

I've autocrossed, just not in CA. Only in the northeast it was always $25 and I always worked, but that is fun too watching people from the track and getting a cone every once and a while. At the ones I went to you see the score on the board the commentator says the time over the mic for the crowd and the officials track the scores and post up who is in what place every hour or so, so you know where you rank.

If its up to you to keep track of your time how do they chose winners? The honor system?

Quick Reply: Anyone AutoCross