San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

speeding ticket, what to do?

Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default speeding ticket, what to do?

I'm sure you are all thinking that I'm posting to find a way out of a speeding ticket but actually that's not the case, read on...

Today I got my first California speeding ticket in Temecula on the way to Travis' memorial service. As speeding tickets go I was pretty impressed. I had expired stickers, RA-1s worn completely bald and no front plate. I had the top down he came up to me and said I got you doing 87. I said ok and handed him my driver license. He asked if I had insurance and said yes then he went back to his cruiser wrote up the ticket and came back about 2 minutes later handed me my license and the ticket to sign. I signed it an handed his book back and I was on my way. I swear it couldn't have taken more then 3 minutes tops. He didn't site me for anything but the speed and never even asked for my registration or insurance papers. Goog deal! It means I didn't give back all of the gains I made by speeding in the first place!! Crime really does pay

Anyway, this is my first CA ticket and frankly I'm puzzled about WTF I'm supposed to do with it. There is no fine amount on it and no instructions on how I'm supposed to pay it. It says I need to post bail or some such but I'm very confused as to what I'm supposed to do now.

How much is the fine? Where do I send the money? How do I take traffic school so I don't get it on my record?

I figure a few of you must have had one of these before and hope you can help a brother out
Old 05-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will mail you the ticket and the "BAIL" amount. You then have the option to:

1. Contest the ticket
2. Pay the ticket
3. Traffic school

The documents with explain everything when you get them in the mail. If it's your first violation...you can easily go to traffic school and when the DMV get the certificate of completion...the "points" will never see your record.

If you choose to just PAY the ticket and not go to school then you will have points accessed to your record.

The documentation will also tell you if your infraction qualifies for traffic school which I'm sure it does. They will also include a pamphlet to call and schedule a "traffic school" at your convenience. You can do it on the weekend weekday or even online.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Thanks Tim. I sure hope they do it soon as I leave for Canada in two weeks.

Does that mean if I go to traffic school I don't have to pay a fine? I assumed you would have to pay a fine AND go to traffic school.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,May 7 2006, 07:31 PM
Does that mean if I go to traffic school I don't have to pay a fine? I assumed you would have to pay a fine AND go to traffic school.
Yup pay the fine and traffic school
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Or... you could pay Mr. Ticket (aka Mitchell Mehdy, traffic lawyer) $100 and he'll make that ticket disappear completely. He's the sole reason I have a sparkly clean record.

Google him.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator

How much is an 87 in a 70 zone ticket gonna cost me? What sucks is I've been driving 87-88 for 6 years and it doesn't even seem fast anymore, to me it's just sort of normal. I'm really pissed I lost my V1. It just up and disappeared one day.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM

I am knocking on wood while posting this question..

but I got my first ever ticket for speeding back in March I believe, maybe it was early April. Whatever the case, it has been at least 6+ weeks.

I have yet to get anything in the mail

This happened to a buddy of mine also- he never got anything in the mail, to this day, and he got his ticket in June. He calls the court once a month to confirm, and they say if it isnt registered by the office within 1 year, it is null and void.

Anyone else have this happen?

And to the OP: hopefully it was 87 in a 70. If it was in a 65 zone you won't be able to do traffic school, as it is more than 20+ over the limit. The officer that pegged me went easy and wrote me for 80 in 65 instead of the 87 he claimed I was doing.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_S2K,May 8 2006, 11:19 AM
I am knocking on wood while posting this question..

but I got my first ever ticket for speeding back in March I believe, maybe it was early April. Whatever the case, it has been at least 6+ weeks.

I have yet to get anything in the mail

This happened to a buddy of mine also- he never got anything in the mail, to this day, and he got his ticket in June. He calls the court once a month to confirm, and they say if it isnt registered by the office within 1 year, it is null and void.

Anyone else have this happen?

And to the OP: hopefully it was 87 in a 70. If it was in a 65 zone you won't be able to do traffic school, as it is more than 20+ over the limit. The officer that pegged me went easy and wrote me for 80 in 65 instead of the 87 he claimed I was doing.
Your ticket has your address on it and if it is not current then your paperwork will be sent to your old address. You still have a DATE on the ticket where you either

post bail or fight ticket and schedule another court date. The ticket has a phone number on it to call the district court and give them your ticket #.

I had to do this when I realized that my paperwork was sent to the wrong address. What ever you do...don't miss your court date and not pay bail.... cause then you'll be on the wanted list.

Tim
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM

yeah Tim i double checked all that. My address is current and it was written correctly on the ticket.

hoping he was being cool and "lost it" on the way back to the station..

i will have to call the court later and triple check ...
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by g60racer,May 7 2006, 09:11 PM
Or... you could pay Mr. Ticket (aka Mitchell Mehdy, traffic lawyer) $100 and he'll make that ticket disappear completely. He's the sole reason I have a sparkly clean record.

Google him.
Mr. ticket don't win them all, used them 6 time only got me off 1

Quick Reply: speeding ticket, what to do?