New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Shiv's TT Journey

Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Quick update. The car is getting aligned right this moment. The shop manager looked at me all funny when he saw the car and alignment specs I gave him. However it looks like I will not have the slicks with me for this weekends TT. Northern tool doesn't send a certificate of origin until WEEKS after you order the trailer. This was news to me. Without the COO I can't register the trailer, and I have no other means of bringing the slicks with me. Naturally I'm pissed. So I don't have very high hopes for this weekend in terms of competitiveness. The plan is to literally drive out of my skin to post a competitive lap time. I have the shop setting about 3.5 degrees of camber up front, hopefully this lends to a natural oversteer feeling, then I can correct by setting a more aggressive angle of attack on the wing and have an overall faster lap. Saturday will be tuning day!
didn't you buy that trailer used? Im sure you have a bill of sale. You're a racer now. The rules have interpretation room in them.
Just saying
Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pgss2k
didn't you buy that trailer used? Im sure you have a bill of sale. You're a racer now. The rules have interpretation room in them.
Just saying
SHIV,

Take a quick look on the interweb for trailer use in NYS. There is a written law that states that you can pull an un-registered trailer for occasional non-commercial use. Just make SURE that the tires do not block the rear lights on you car.
So you might have to remount your tire holders on the trailer for this w/e but it will be worth it. You would also need to carry that written law with you so you could prove to the officer that you are in fact following the law.

I can also over night you a VALID trailer plate from my utility trailer that would keep you from getting pulled over for non-reg. If you need this done then you will need to CALL me soon so I could get it to Fed-Ex or USPS.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I repacked my bearings once per year and never had a failure. Feel the hubs at each stop for excessive heat. If one is noticeably hotter than the other, you need to check it out. My trailer saw trips to Boston and back yearly. Also trips to D.C, Maryland, Toledo, as well as 150 mile round trips a couple of times a month.

You bought a spare tire right? I mounted mine to the tongue, underneath the trailer with one of these:

Strange that you didn't get a certificate with the trailer. I think mine was in the box when I bought my HF trailer.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

One of these makes it easy to move the loaded trailer around the pits or garage:

Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by s200059
SHIV,

I can also over night you a VALID trailer plate from my utility trailer that would keep you from getting pulled over for non-reg. If you need this done then you will need to CALL me soon so I could get it to Fed-Ex or USPS.
So I blasted out of work at 4:30 and went straight to post office to get an over night mailer. The lady says "hey, you work at the Comptrollers office don't you". I said as a matter of fact I do, can you help me get this in the mail tonight. She said "sure" and said what are you mailing, noticing I had nothing to put inside the envelope. I told her I had to run home and get it and I bolted out there and rev'd up the old #64 (original track car) and headed off to my house to grab the key to the race shop. I got there and thought I could pull my plate and head to my local post office which closes at 5:00 but I ran outa time. I was forced to head back into the city and use the PO by work, and I got there just as they were about to close. The counter lady says "let that boy thru, he's my customer". I filled out the label and she grabbed it outa my hand, stamped it and told someone "make sure this gets on the truck heading over to central". I left and they locked the door behind me.

WOW - I really have no idea who the heck that woman was but she noticed my NYS ID. I found out later that when the Comptroller's office was in the Alfred E Smith building she was the woman who ran the USPS that was in the same building. SO SHIV got luck on this one, he now has a VALID NYS licence plate to use this w/e.

SHIV - I still wouldn't be blasting down the NYS Thruway at warp speed heading towards Palmer, that registration is for a 850 lb trailer with a 2500 lb payload and any cop worth his weight would spot that phony a mile a way.
Attached Thumbnails Shiv's TT Journey-cmt1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

You are a true hero Greg

It's people like you and actions like this that make this community great.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Shiv, you can also register it as a homemade with a weight slip.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
Shiv, you can also register it as a homemade with a weight slip.
That is what I would have done had I been in his shoes, but unless you know where this a scrap yard or truck stop with scales then you are SOL.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really can't thank you enough Greg. Goes to show what an incredibly awesome community we actually have. The crazy thing is, it seems that ordinarily the COO ships with the kit, but in my case it will most likely arrive Monday go figure.

But I definitely plan on taking it easy the whole way there and back. Usually the police are paying attention to the wing or trying to figure out why some bozo would put his name on the car. Just sitting at my mechanics waiting for them to put the slicks on the wheels.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by shiv
Really can't thank you enough Greg. Goes to show what an incredibly awesome community we actually have. The crazy thing is, it seems that ordinarily the COO ships with the kit, but in my case it will most likely arrive Monday go figure.

But I definitely plan on taking it easy the whole way there and back. Usually the police are paying attention to the wing or trying to figure out why some bozo would put his name on the car. Just sitting at my mechanics waiting for them to put the slicks on the wheels.
SHIV,

I have been in your shoes all too many times, you prep like hell to get everything ready then this one stinkin little thing pops up at the last moment. And then you realize that short of a miracle you are not going to over come that obstacle and all that prep was for nothing. The race dates don't move and they don't wait for you to get shit together either.

Yeah - I been there too many times and that's when you need that one guy who can help make it right.
My guys name is JAKE and he has saved my ass soooo many times, taking care of the #59 at the 11th hour and helping me stay on track.

Just wait until you get my age and see how hard it is to make it all happen week in and week out. Its a huge struggle, but one we accept as part program of tracking a competition car.

I think back to the days of doing 30-40 track days a year and 10-15 races, it was nerve racking knowing that many times I had only 3 days in between events. Or events like the one in 2015 when I spent 5 days at Watkins doing a 3 day SCCA Majors race and then a 2 day driving school. The end result of that adventure was a broken car that almost resulted in me missing the next race. Thats when Ian Prout stepped in and let me borrow his race car for the weekend.

So I think it more than just the s2000 guys, it really any one who tracks a car. We all understand the obstacles that are always present and waiting to ruin your day.

Glad I could help out....now buy some of these slicks in my cellar so I can get my wife off my back.

Quick Reply: Shiv's TT Journey