S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Solving a brand new smoking turbo issue

Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Solving a brand new smoking turbo issue

Trying to eliminate an issue with smoking at idle. The turbo has already been RMA'd once. It's a PTE 6062BB. When in any kind of stop and go traffic it will start to smoke like crazy with the electric cutout open. Temps are around 200 on both coolant and oil. If I close the cutout it cuts down on smoking and sometimes eliminates it completely. I'm guessing the back pressure is helping with the oil ring sealing? My oil drain is going to the timing cover so its not an issue with oil backing up.

Im currently running amsoil 10w-30 but seriously considering going to Rotella T6 as im on E85 now and oil changes will be a lot more frequent.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How does the return bend towards cover? And what size is the line?

It can't level out at all, and bends all have to do with line size.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

How do you have your VC breathers too?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
How does the return bend towards cover? And what size is the line?

It can't level out at all, and bends all have to do with line size.
it almost goes level as the AN fitting on the timing cover is just below the top of the power steering. I put a 45 degree an fitting so it would have a bit of a slope. It's an AN -10
Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Chief
How do you have your VC breathers too?
I have two -10 lines off the valve cover running to a vented catch can.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

whats your feed?

post a pic of vac lines and VC, PCV etc, and pics of drain
Old 06-04-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

running a restrictor on the feed?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by StocS2k
running a restrictor on the feed?
PTE BB turbos have a built in restrictor
Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you ask around I'm sure a common consensus is everyone AND I'm guilty to, is running a 10 AN return. But when I was reading specs for hydraulic lines, somewhere I was reading in it I realized 10 is actually to small for a lot of us. And 16 should be the common denominator. Does 10 work? Yes. ...is greddy return line to the oil drain bolt work? ... apparently! Lol. It must right?

But not for everyone a 100% of the time. So you have to soften the bend/s or install a larger size. A larger hose correlates to degree radius bend per like inches in length or something. So for ex. An AN10 can't drain properly with a 30* bend with only six inches of tubing or something like that... Sorry that's kinda sloppy Info I apologise, just trying to give you a understanding.

Your lucky though since it's on the timing cover, I bet you could get a 16press lock to 10AN female.

Post a pic like other guy said, see if we can give ya some more help. I had to redo my return on my new setup to.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
If you ask around I'm sure a common consensus is everyone AND I'm guilty to, is running a 10 AN return. But when I was reading specs for hydraulic lines, somewhere I was reading in it I realized 10 is actually to small for a lot of us. And 16 should be the common denominator. Does 10 work? Yes. ...is greddy return line to the oil drain bolt work? ... apparently! Lol. It must right?

But not for everyone a 100% of the time. So you have to soften the bend/s or install a larger size. A larger hose correlates to degree radius bend per like inches in length or something. So for ex. An AN10 can't drain properly with a 30* bend with only six inches of tubing or something like that... Sorry that's kinda sloppy Info I apologise, just trying to give you a understanding.

Your lucky though since it's on the timing cover, I bet you could get a 16press lock to 10AN female.

Post a pic like other guy said, see if we can give ya some more help. I had to redo my return on my new setup to.
I've read the same as well, I forgot where, but they were talking about cars with factory turbos were running drains WAY bigger than -10. The problem is...where can I find a fitting to put onto the turbo drain that size? I asked precision and the guy said "I wish we made drains bigger than -10"....wth. The best I could do was order that billet drain that has a tapered entry from the turbo side, forgot the name of the company.

That being said, I don't think the drain line size is my problem as im not smoking when under boost or at idle with the exhaust valve closed....just at idle with open dump and the engine being pretty damn warm. I'm going to try switch to Rotella T6 as I believe its a 5w-40? I'm running amsoil 10w-30 right now...plus im on e85 so the frequent oil changes will be getting damn expensive if i stick with amsoil.

Here are the best pics I could take of my drain

Quick Reply: Solving a brand new smoking turbo issue