The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

I don't want to work XXIV

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
Sam, did you and Pete happen to eat brunch at The Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee? I was very impressed by the brunch at Smyth...

I worked all weekend, but I did grab sushi with a former co-worker Saturday night, which was nice.
No, it wasn't Iron Horse, but I have heard of that one. Charlie recommended that one a few years back and it looked really nice.

I'll see if I can dig up where it was, it was near a beer museum or something. Pabst maybe? Or a house/building with that name on it.

Edit: It was the Ambassador Hotel.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
Found it for $138 on Amazon, delivery between Jan 17-20. Feels kinda like a scam, but if it is Amazon will give my money back so I swiped the card. Hooray!
As predicted, it's a scam. Just got an email saying the seller is out of stock and wouldn't be able to deliver until May, despite showing on Amazon that they have 30+ in stock. This is a pretty common thing (sellers listing inventory as available that doesn't actually exist; when they figure out they can't order it from their supplier they just delay it until the end of time) and I've got burned by it before; hopefully Amazon can make it right. Requested cancellation, hopefully I'll see the money back soon. Wish Amazon could figure out how to curb this practice.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
As predicted, it's a scam. Just got an email saying the seller is out of stock and wouldn't be able to deliver until May, despite showing on Amazon that they have 30+ in stock. This is a pretty common thing (sellers listing inventory as available that doesn't actually exist; when they figure out they can't order it from their supplier they just delay it until the end of time) and I've got burned by it before; hopefully Amazon can make it right. Requested cancellation, hopefully I'll see the money back soon. Wish Amazon could figure out how to curb this practice.
That sucks hopefully Amazon get it sorted quickly. I didn't realize there were scams on Amazon, I thought they had a decent process for being able to sell on there.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
Sam, did you and Pete happen to eat brunch at The Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee? I was very impressed by the brunch at Smyth...

I worked all weekend, but I did grab sushi with a former co-worker Saturday night, which was nice.
I did eat at the Iron Horse for breakfast once. I stayed there for Mr. Collins' wedding. The brunch was good, but not outstanding. The Ambassador only offered their brunch on Sunday. You would order whatever you wanted, and they would make it fresh to order. You could order as many plates of things as you wanted for a flat rate. The food was outstanding.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:29 AM

Iron Horse is great, Ambassador is very good. Seriously though, brunch is such a huge thing here -- almost every restaurant in town kills it with their brunch game. You've all seen the sobelman's bloody marys, right?

This is a real thing that you can order for brunch. Note the smaller bloody mary as a chaser (bloodies are typically served with a small beer here in MKE as a chaser).

Next time we do something in milwaukee, we'll have to take a little brunch tour of some of my favorites.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 AM

It's too bad I don't like Bloody Marys.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ruexp67
Me either, but I'm for a meet in Milwaukee again for sure.

Oy Pete, come on up
Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67
there are like three meals on top of that bloody mary. You eat the food, i'll drink the booze and then you drive us to the next place

We also have a milwaukee take on the Mimosa, which is called the Beermosa. You can probably put that recipe together in your own mind.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You all know I am game for this.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm down for a beermosa!

I'll be in Chicago over the summer. There will likely be a side trip to MKE.

Quick Reply: I don't want to work XXIV