S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

When was the last time you had your S2000 out of the garage?

Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Heikes
How do you like that lift? Thinking about picking one up. Pretty solid?
Hi Mike,

It's a Ranger QuickLift. They came in 3,500 lb and 5,000 lb capacities and either AC or DC power configurations. I got mine as soon as they hit the market. The new ones have some upgraded features especially with regard to the safety stops. I got DC because the draw on the AC unit has a peak in excess of 30 amps (which they fail to tell you in the sales brochure) and my garage was wired for 20 amps. So, I got a top-end battery tender and an encased marine grade 29 battery to run it. I've had it for two years now and find it very useful. It gets the car high enough for you to do pull the transmission which should satisfy 99.99% of your needs.

It is solid. I've spent a lot of time under the car with it. However, I can't imagine that it is as solid as a lift that's been bolted into the floor.

The following is a pic of my setup for a clutch change which required the transmission to be pulled. The jacks are to lift and tilt the motor (actually, sub-frame) to let the trans clear the body's trans tunnel.
PS (I actually had to dismantle and reverse the wooden ramps holding the jacks because they protruded into the work area too much)

The following users liked this post:
Mike Heikes (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Update - - - - I had her out into the countryside a few days ago.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyday mine is out except in snow. Got it about five months ago. It's been abused its whole life. Lives in garage now but drive it almost every day. Most would call it a beater and was worth far more in parts when I got it. Now in pretty good shape mechanicly. Body work is for next winter. It has character and it's mine.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
Hi Mike,

It's a Ranger QuickLift. They came in 3,500 lb and 5,000 lb capacities and either AC or DC power configurations. I got mine as soon as they hit the market. The new ones have some upgraded features especially with regard to the safety stops. I got DC because the draw on the AC unit has a peak in excess of 30 amps (which they fail to tell you in the sales brochure) and my garage was wired for 20 amps. So, I got a top-end battery tender and an encased marine grade 29 battery to run it. I've had it for two years now and find it very useful. It gets the car high enough for you to do pull the transmission which should satisfy 99.99% of your needs.

It is solid. I've spent a lot of time under the car with it. However, I can't imagine that it is as solid as a lift that's been bolted into the floor.

The following is a pic of my setup for a clutch change which required the transmission to be pulled. The jacks are to lift and tilt the motor (actually, sub-frame) to let the trans clear the body's trans tunnel.
PS (I actually had to dismantle and reverse the wooden ramps holding the jacks because they protruded into the work area too much)

Thanks for the info, i'm a bigger guy and jack stands and a creeper are pushing my nerves being under the car and I wanted something that raised it up significantly higher without getting some sort of four or two post lift since I don't have a very tall garage. Maybe someday when I have the resources to build a second garage or add a third stall but for now this would be great.

Having a S2000, Ridgeline and STI over time it definitely would pay for itself being able to do almost everything I need it for.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Heikes
Thanks for the info, i'm a bigger guy and jack stands and a creeper are pushing my nerves being under the car and I wanted something that raised it up significantly higher
It lifts to 28" clear underneath. I don't use a creeper. I lay the side of a large cardboard box (I get them from the trash area of a large body shop down the road) under the car and slide around on that. I can get it up an additional 6" by dropping it onto wood blocks that I have and then re-lifting it with large 6" rubber blocks in the four lifting points.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Out and about three days ago.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Well, a sign of spring. Rick uncovered the S yesterday. He is hoping for one good day this weekend to do some speaker replacement and other tasks. I don't see any top down driving in the immediate future though...weather is still cold, and only Sunday shows any promise of an opportunity to get a few things done on the car, no cruising on the schedule quite yet. Must tackle "to do" list first.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,695 Posts

On Sunday, March 26, 2017, my friend, Roseanne, organized one of her quarterly drives. She had three groups of ten cars arranged by speed and it was a blast. I chose the middle group and was lead by the silver car next to me. We had a fun group of people in a well organized meet and I loved the pace for my group. I had a choice of bringing the S2000 or NSX and chose the NSX. I made special brownies for the group, too.

^3-25-2017. Peanut butter Dove candy layer before top brownie batter layer in special brownies.

^3-26-2017. Borrego Springs, CA.

^3-26-2017. Parking behind the Julian Pie Company. 21976 Highway 79, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070.

^3-26-2017. Santa Ysabel, CA.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,416 Posts

every time I start to think about getting it out of the garage, this damn white stuff starts falling again...
3-6" due in the next 24 hours.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 1,197 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
On Sunday, March 26, 2017, my friend, Roseanne, organized one of her quarterly drives. She had three groups of ten cars arranged by speed and it was a blast. I chose the middle group and was lead by the silver car next to me. We had a fun group of people in a well organized meet and I loved the pace for my group. I had a choice of bringing the S2000 or NSX and chose the NSX. I made special brownies for the group, too.

^3-25-2017. Peanut butter Dove candy layer before top brownie batter layer in special brownies.

^3-26-2017. Borrego Springs, CA.

^3-26-2017. Parking behind the Julian Pie Company. 21976 Highway 79, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070.

^3-26-2017. Santa Ysabel, CA.
That cherry pie looks like it's to die for, Patty.

Quick Reply: When was the last time you had your S2000 out of the garage?