S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A real vintage topic - Burial or Cremation?

Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default A real vintage topic - Burial or Cremation?

Here you go! A real "Vintage" topic. Will you opt for burial or cremation, or maybe cremation with burial of cremains?

Last night Rick and I made the rounds of the cemeteries. We watered and weeded and deadheaded flowers on the graves of his parents, his grandparents, the WWI veteran we "adopted" last year, and then my parents. We have to wonder who will tend to these graves when we are gone. I just can't see the next generation or the one after that spending time at grave sites. Rick and his older brother both plant some flowers at his parents grave. His grandparents have "perpetual care" by the cemetery. Other graves nearby with the same "plan" get two or three geraniums planted on/around Memorial Day then there is no further tending, the weeds move in. Rick tends to his grandparents grave before Memorial Day, weeds, mulches, makes it look nice. When we go back after Memorial Day there are at least 5-6 geraniums planted as I guess the crew has figured out someone is watching, tending to the grave site. BTW, while geraniums are often a traditional grave site plant, they are a PIA as they need their heads chopped off frequently. Begonia might be a better option if you want my .02.

Cremation is obviously more popular than it was "back in the day." It is likely the route we will go. Not sure what we would want done with our cremains. Maybe we will end up in the family plot....or maybe in the trunk of an old Honda S2000...where the spare tire should be. We see so many grave sites that are just overgrown with weeds, there are grave stones totally covered in some kind of shrubbery, it's rather sad. (This is at a town cemetery, not sure they still allow large plantings, I know they don't where my parents are buried.

So, what are you gonna do when they "come for you"?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Wow,Lainey,you're really feeling ,today...
I prefer Matt's topic,as he wants to buy a "Boy's racer car"
Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Cremation for us. We have no children to visit the grave site. Seems a waste to tie up a plot of land for eternity. I'd rather see parks that families can enjoy, rather than cemeteries.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Well not really, but decisions do have to be made, and sometimes it's better to make them yourselves than trust family members.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Well not really, but decisions do have to be made, and sometimes it's better to make them yourselves than trust family members.
Lainey,

You are absolutely correct. I won't comment on whether everyone should have their remains buried or cremated, but while alive everyone should make the hard decisions concerning their estate, make sure to have a will and keep it up to date, and make sure the beneficiaries on insurance policies and retirement accounts are up to date.

Make the decisions while alive, don't give your family cause to fight over your estate after you're gone.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Cremation with my ashes thrown around my place at Kennedy Meadows, CA. It's where I feel the most at peace. My dog, Kyras, and some of my mom's ashes are there, already.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM

On what I think is a positive note. I have been bothered by a crack in the military service memorial stone at my Dad's grave site. He was most proud of his service and would not like a cracked stone. I called local veterans office who suggested I contact the funeral home that handled his arrangements. They were most helpful. They have completed a required form which I have to sign. They need a letter from me (done) and a picture of the stone which I will take shortly. They will submit the paperwork and hopefully Dad will have a new marker. Lunch hour photo mission
Attached Thumbnails A real vintage topic - Burial or Cremation?-photo852.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Not an issue for immortal vampires.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Cremation, cremains to be delivered to a dive site in the Caribbean. I see no need to take up space after my demise.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

If I have my way, cremation with remains scattered on the Dragon. Or possibly on the Mississippi sound. Or Biloxi Bay. Or, I don't know.

Really its whatever my survivors would like. I probably won't care.

I would like a marker in Penn Yan Cemetery near my grandparents. I would like it to read...

Michael Young
FIN

Quick Reply: A real vintage topic - Burial or Cremation?