Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Winter Storage

Old 09-20-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Hi everyone! As the season begins to change, I'm wondering how to keep my car safe for the winter. My garage has a bare concrete floor (no epoxy, not polished) and the doors aren't insulated but it doesn't get below freezing. The manual says to store the car on jack stands for any period of time more than a few months, but I know lots that just change the oil and park it. What are you all planning to do?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepR
Hi everyone! As the season begins to change, I'm wondering how to keep my car safe for the winter. My garage has a bare concrete floor (no epoxy, not polished) and the doors aren't insulated but it doesn't get below freezing. The manual says to store the car on jack stands for any period of time more than a few months, but I know lots that just change the oil and park it. What are you all planning to do?
fill tank and Stabil, unlatch the top, put car in reverse, put stay dry pellets in the cabin, park car on carpet in garage, charger on the battery.
do all this after vacuuming, washing, waxing.
darcy
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change oil and filter, fuel stabilizer, clean interior/ exterior, unlatch roof, disconnect the battery, pull out my radio (I use the same radio for my winter beater because i'm cheap and its four screws lol) if I get the chance i put the car on jack stands if not I throw on a junk set of tires (I was always told that tires can start to crack if they sit too long but I've never had an issue with it), make sure the park brake it off, and car cover. I think that's it, I'm probably forgetting something.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya you probably don't have to worry about jacking the car up... just find some pieces of foam or cardboard and put them under your tires (drive onto them) to reduce flat spots. Put a bunch under each tire. Over inflate your tires as well.... then like everyone else said, fill the tank up with gas and stabilizer, change the oil, unlatch your top and crack the window slightly, ebrake down, car in reverse, put some bounce sheets in the car and maybe some under the car to prevent mice.
Also, I usually cover the muffler tips. Either jam something in them or get an elastic band and a bag to cover them up to prevent anything from crawling into your exhaust.

Wash and dry the car... put a cover on it.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why in reverse?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Shin etsu grease on all the rubber bits

keep your sticky tires from freezing
Old 09-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
Why in reverse?
I've heard that stated many times and often wondered why and what the benefit is ? I recall old Jeep owners used to do that but then again a Jeep tranny is no Honda.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I'd guess something to do with the gear size and so that you don't end up having the ebrake up and fusing your calipers
Old 09-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
I'd guess something to do with the gear size and so that you don't end up having the ebrake up and fusing your calipers
maybe that's it, my garage is relatively level so first gear has never been an issue for me, even in my angled driveway first gear has never been an issue.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Manual says e-brake down and in reverse but does not explain the reason.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage