S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: If you could only do one?
Roll-bar
63.64%
Seats
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

If you could only pick one

Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default If you could only pick one

I have been going around with safety upgrades for 2018. Initially I was going to just do everything, but $4-5k is just a bit much at the moment. So I have decided to do a portion this year and the rest next year. I had pretty much settled on a roll-bar for this year, then seats/harnesses for next and still might go that route. However recently the idea of doing seats this year and harness/roll-bar next year came to mind. I am 5' 10" so a seat with lower rails would get me below the OEM hoops, additionally a seat provides a bit of added protection in a non-rollover by helping keep you a bit more secure. I have the Modifry belt lock so that with a seat would hold me in pretty dang tight. If I do a roll-bar the OEM hoops will be removed

So what are your thoughts, I am still leaning towards a roll-bar as the best first step, but didn't want to overlook going seats first?

Last edited by bgoetz; 10-20-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd do the roll bar first.
If you do the seats first you'll have to remove them again to install the roll bar/harnesses which can be a PITA, depending on the seats you get. OEM are easy to swap in/out.
I got the seats first and will install my roll bar in the coming months and am not looking forward to mounting those seats again.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Question: Is it possible to use a 5-point, 6-point, or 7-point harness with the OEM seats? I've never seen a picture of that. I ran a 5-point harness on OEM seats in the 1970s, but those seats had lower backs with a separate headrest and in hindsight the submarine strap mounting was unacceptable.

If so, since the bar is a precursor to the harness, wouldn't imply the order would be rollbar then seat + harness?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Question: Is it possible to use a 5-point, 6-point, or 7-point harness with the OEM seats? I've never seen a picture of that. I ran a 5-point harness on OEM seats in the 1970s, but those seats had lower backs with a separate headrest and in hindsight the submarine strap mounting was unacceptable.

If so, since the bar is a precursor to the harness, wouldn't imply the order would be rollbar then seat + harness?
yes I think typically the order is roll-bar then seat + harness. I was just contemplating the safety of seat then roll-bar+harness
Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I wouldn't go seats first, and especially not seats + harness in a convertible first.

I went rollbar first, and I wouldn't consider that safe for someone that puts their seat anywhere near like half-way back given how much the stock seats will move in an accident (read: head->bar).

I think I have much less than $4k in safety... let's see.
$1000 - Ballade Sport bar
$540 - Sparco Evo from Murray Motorsports
$215 - PCI Adjustable Seat Mount from PCI
$330 - OMP DA805HLPF 6pt HANS compatible harness through friend with distribution pricing
$30 - 6 harness backing plates (only needed 3) from eBay
$344 - Super Sport XLT HANS Device from Murray Motorsports
$320 - HJC AR-10 III SA2015 Racing Helmet through Saferacer

Soooo $2800
Old 10-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo
I wouldn't go seats first, and especially not seats + harness in a convertible first.

I went rollbar first, and I wouldn't consider that safe for someone that puts their seat anywhere near like half-way back given how much the stock seats will move in an accident (read: head->bar).
yeah I would never do harnesses without a roll-bar
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo

I think I have much less than $4k in safety... let's see.
$1k - Ballade Sport bar
$539.55 - Sparco Evo from Murray Motorsports
$215 - PCI Adjustable Seat Mount from PCI
$330 - OMP DA805HLPF 6pt HANS compatible harness through friend with distribution pricing
$30 - 6 harness backing plates (only needed 3) from eBay
$343.52 - Super Sport XLT HANS Device from Murray Motorsports
$320 - HJC AR-10 III SA2015 Racing Helmet through Saferacer
I was going to do Pole Positions, I didn't realize the Sparco was that cheap (best I could find was $800). You need brackets to mount the seats though so add $200. Plus I need to do the passenger as well as I frequently have a passenger, so I would do a seat and use my OEM belt, IDK if I want them using a harness with no HANS
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You caught my edit, haha.

I'm torn on the passenger side because I also don't want someone with a harness and no HANS, or even a mis-adjusted harness.
Ordering the seat and HANS from MurrayMotorsport really did shave off like $600 from US prices though.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM

I was going to keep all OEM belts in since I still Street drive the car. So when I had a passenger I was going to have them wear the OEM belt, I would do the same. I don't push things quite as hard with a passenger.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Rollbar first followed by seats and harnesses.

Quick Reply: If you could only pick one