Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Track car labour of love build thread - Clubhopper

Old 12-13-2017, 03:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Track car labour of love build thread - Clubhopper

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my journey with my Honda S2000. I love this car, and the opportunity came to rescue an okay condition S2000 I jumped at it. I come from the world of Turbo 4's, and V6's but wanted a high revving well handling vehicle and the S2000 fit the bill.

I purchased it in the fall of 2015 running and driving but in pretty rough shape for an 86,000km vehicle. The previous owner didn't really know what he had, and didn't take care of the car at all. It sat in a shop for the last 4 years and was basically neglected and left to die. I proceeded to make the car how I liked it and build it for track. Was hoping to do some track in 2017 as 2016 was the resto-mod season, but the motor succumbed to excessive oil consumption on Cylinder 1. I'm in the process of a full rebuild with a new block i purchased from Honda while salvaging all the parts that are still good for this build. At least I got to enjoy the car late summer 2017 before the oil consumption issue became intolerable.

I'm quite familiar with working on my own vehicles extensively but i've learned so much with this car that its staggering.

if any of you are on instagram my handle is @cowboyracing...there will be more content there but i will try to fill this thread with as much content as possible!

The bad. Steering wheel had some weird up and down play. Fuel cell in the back. APR GTC-250 wing that someone spilled fuel on which really messed it up. Wavy fenders all around from hack roll job. Did i mention fuel cell in the back? Also, it was turbo'd for 1000km before owner ran out of money and parted it out. But it came with a thicker headgasket that i had to swap out.

The good. Engine ran well as it was rebuilt, AP2 tranny, came with aftermarket coilovers, interior was relatively clean, came with a lot of spare parts and aftermarket parts that i can sell. Also, came with a hardtop!!!

To be continued...
Old 12-13-2017, 03:47 AM

Fixing minor issues. Steering wheel, living with the fuel cell but the bad thing was that the fuel system in general was put together by a monkey. So i patched it up but the end game is to swap it out for the OEM unit back again. Oil cooler is also leaking a bit and I planned to get rid of it.

Swapped out the aftermarket sparco steering wheel with an OEM unit. Cruise control module was also deleted, but i wanted to put it back in. At least i was able to sell that messed up wing. The endplates were put on backwards too by previous owner. And the bolts that hold them on corroded so bad that i just left them.

To be continued!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:24 AM

2016 continued

Got some new wheels 17x9.5 RPF1 in +38 offset, a new shift boot one of the last remaining from JPM Coachworks! Also getting ready to address the shitty oil cooler. I found a nice Modfry bracket and mounted my Aim Solo DL Lap Timer on it.

I also have been chasing a minor coolant leak at this point and decided to replace some hoses and gaskets as well. Its a pain the way the f20c is situated but i managed to get it done.

the hardtop defroster was also installed.

Radium dual oil catch cans installed, interior re freshening - replacing missing panels and such, also restored the factory cruise control actuator!! Also fitted new to me headlights and headlight brackets .

To be continued...
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 AM

late 2016/winter 2017

Swapped out the HSD coilovers with units from Ohlins. Finally decided to tackle the fuel cell problem and re did the entire fuel system using a Radium engineering fuel rail with Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Gauge. Had to drop the rear subframe. After that was done, the coils went in, and new brakes all around. Stoptech blank rotors with street pads for now.

WIth a proper fuel solution, the fuel smell in the garage disappeared. This was something i always planned on doing and i was so happy when it was resolved.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 AM

Body work begins. Fitted front Downforce Wide Fenders, and rear ASM overfenders. Decided to learn how to weld on the car. I'm a lot better now, but that was a first attempt. Besides nobody will see it. Someone once told me a grinder and paint make you the welder you aint! lol

also got a new AP2 front bumper

Did a towstrap as well. Observe the new Mishimoto Oil cooler installed at the beginning of the season as well. Splash guards also installed!

To be continued.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:52 AM

2017 was and still is a big year.

I decided to try my hand at wrapinig the car Hot Rod Red and installed a rockstar garage rollbar with bulkhead bar as well. I'll eventually try and learn how to paint but my living situation does not exactly permit me to do this at the moment lol. Soft top was also deleted as it was ripped.

I also did a moroso oil pan baffle, and a k&n intake to replace the AEM one that was there already some time this year as well. Oh yeah i also bought a GTC-300 APR wing and APR CF side mirrors as well lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 12-13-2017, 05:06 AM

Late 2017 tragedy strikes but a new hope! Cylinder 1 was burning oil like crazy and originally it was suspected to be a valve seal. After replacing all the seals there was no change. Popping off the head and doing a full teardown found that cylinder 1 is out of round which probably caused the oil control ring to fold over and allow oil to piss into the combustion chamber.

I was able to brute force remove the engine by hand and piece by piece and converted my basement into an engine building room with clean surfaces. I decided to get new pistons, rings, block, wrist pins. The crank was in great condition and i sent it off to Gord Bush Performance to be checked for balance and polished. I will be balancing the pistons and rods myself and am blueprinting the entire assembly. I have all the components but may have to order additional bearings from Honda if any clearances changed for whatever reason (just going by the chart, which gets you close, but you still have to check).

The head appears good and i gave it a good cleaning. Once its all reassembled i'll have to flow test it. I've also just bought a complete AP2 rear subframe for the updated geometry, and a flywheel from myflys2k. The car came with a Competition Clutch stage 4 which sucked, so i'll be going oem flywheel, oem clutch disc, with ACT pressure plate. I also ordered some Spoon subframe collars for the front and rear subframes since those will be replaced at some point.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 12-13-2017, 05:12 AM

What's a build thread without a mod list?
Future items i already have just needed to be installed are labelled 'future'
S2000 Mod List
  1. F20C rebuilt balanced and blueprinted, micropolished crank, new block, new rings, new pistons, new wrist pins
  2. ARP Headstuds
  3. Cometic Headgasket 87mm .030
  4. F22C bare block
  5. Upgraded oil jet bolts
  6. Upgraded piston rings
  7. Moroso Baffled Oil Pan
  8. 3 angle valve job
  9. Supertech Valve Springs
  10. ACT Pressure Pressure Plate with clutch - future
  11. AP1 OEM Flywheel
  12. Stainless steel clutch line - future
  13. Stainless steel brake line