S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Company Christmas Party - Do you look forward to it?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default The Company Christmas Party - Do you look forward to it?

The business I work for is now owned by a larger local company. They also own another local business, fishing vessels, etc. The annual Christmas Party is a joint gathering. I have no issue with the owner, I've known him, done business with him prior to his buying this business, nor do I have issues with the other big wigs. I've also known them for 30+ years. I know several people from one of our smaller sister companies, and have met a few from the larger of the companies. I went to the Christmas party the year we were acquired because I felt I should. I haven't gone since. I don't enjoy this type of gathering, and, truth is I never have. I don't feel the obligation to attend, however, I get the impression my immediate boss is of the opinion that people need to show their face for this gathering. He hasn't said as much to me, but I do sense this is the way he thinks.

Anyway, I would much rather hang out with people whose company I enjoy, (like those crazy car people) vs co-workers, with whom I don't socialize with on a regular basis.

I probably asked this question last year. Where do you stand on the company party? Do you look forward to getting dressed up and heading out for an evening with your +1 to this type of event, do you/did you go because you felt obligated, or did you just say, "sorry can't make it" and leave it there?

PS. The smaller sister company usually hosts a small lunch the day before Christmas and I do stop there. I am more comfortable in that environment and will socialize for a short while before heading home.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I enjoyed the parties we had in my gov't job until they banned alcohol in gov't buildings. It was a lot more entertaining before. One year our Santa passed out under a table. We did attend the holiday parties at the +1's old company until they stopped having them. They were very nice affairs. Cocktails, sit down dinner, prizes, dancing to a live band - all free for about 2000 people. We also went once to the party given by the private company I worked for until recently. Very nice at a fancy hotel in Georgetown. Same deal - cocktails, sit down dinner, dancing - but a much smaller group. I don't know about parties at the +1's current company.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The only Christmas party I went to (or will be at this year) was the NSX potluck party at a fellow owner's home. There we're only about 19 people there. Ricky and I had a great time. I do enjoy smaller parties more than big gatherings.

Last edited by Kyras; 12-15-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

1st job - party was offsite and you had to dress formal, drinking - yes. I didn't like it as I didn't really care for the people I worked with and it was always during the SEC Championship. LAME.

2nd job - party was at work and we just had BBQ catered in. That was nice except for the having to still work part. I enjoyed their company as well. No drinking obviously.

Current job - 3 parties. 1st one was offsite - drinking optional. I enjoy the company, I didn't care for the fact that we had to pay our way. 2nd one I opted out from (it was last night) they took a trolley ride around parts of where I live to look at all the holiday lights, etc. I love this time of year and love decorated homes, but man that is so lame and you had to pay for that. I apologize for saying lame twice. 3rd party will be on the 20th at work. A lunch (pay your way again) and secret santa plus get everyone a little something. I am the happiest here at my current job, but man 3 parties that so far have me about $80.00 in is a bit much especially considering that I don't make very much money. Had I opted for this Trolley ride my office party expenses would be about $150.00.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

^
Hmm paying your own way. A party without a real "host."

There is alcohol at our company party. The food is decent. There is music and dancing. The time I went there was an open bar for any drinks for an hour or so, then beer and wine all evening. One guy was falling into the Christmas tree early in the evening, a cab was called. One of my co-workers was pounding down the drinks rapidly and we'll just say I didn't care for his company once he had his buzz on. OK, he was obnoxious....
300 people I might know about 25..........

Nope, not going!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Used to have them the first 3 years I worked for this company; large amounts of free booze and food. They ditched them once we got acquired; I didn't enjoy them, so I don't miss them.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

All my places of employment have been very intimate as far as employees. I know everyone and they know me ...like it or not.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

The company I worked for didn't do Christmas parties but some of the shifts I worked had shift parties that were similar to the S2K parties, just out for a few drinks at a local establishment.
Levi
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

The firm I was part owner of till 2000 always had a Christmas lunch, all paid for, booze included. Everyone went, no one would miss it. My last 15 years of work I was alone. Guess I could have had a bottle in my desk and partied whenever I felt like it. I miss my "old" company parties. Never worked for a big company and had your fun experiences.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Retired from my company in 99. Have not been back for any event the way I was treated in my later years.

Quick Reply: The Company Christmas Party - Do you look forward to it?